ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 20
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Anyone ever experience burnout?
Mecca 02:45 PM 07-30-2020
I feel like I'm there, I was there before Covid and feel like it's worse now. I legit have no motivation to do anything and I know I'm pessimistic and not fun to be around for the most part. If anyone wants further stuff I can deep dive but I need some advice because I feel like I'm stuck in the wallow not to escape.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:12 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
I can speak to this with first hand knowledge and action I took:

I was making $115-125,000 working 75-80 hours a week while living in Northern Virginia. I became burnt out, fat, tired and no direction.

I quit my job to the shock of everyone, gave away everything I owned minus my summer clothes and some personal momentos that would fit in my car.

I drove to Scottsdale AZ in March 2017 with no job, no place to live, no family or friends here.

I found an incredible place to live, took 6 months off, went to the gym everyday and lost 80 pounds.

I spent the rest of the time by the pool in the sun relaxing or chilling out.

I also did volunteer work raising money for Foster children.

One of the greatest decisions of my life.

Wow. Yeah, now that you mention it, I think you did a thread on it way back when?

I remembering thinking at the time “damn that sounds awesome”
[Reply]
Eureka 07:12 PM 07-30-2020
Seems this can happen to everyone no matter what their doing with their lives. It's good that you recognize it and you'll notice the posts in this thread guys did something about it because if not something is going to give. Again, good thing you're recognizing it. Some good advice in this thread from guys who can be open to talk in a forum like this when in person men tend to not be that way. Although I would definitely recommend you not cloud your brain with weed lol.

I just turned 40 this week and I went through something like the OP is going through about five years back. I decided to make a change and the big two changes were meditation (in the morning) and Bikram Yoga. I didn't know that at the time but these two exercises gave me the strength to get to where I wanted to be. Which was being happy about/with life. All of a sudden I had extra energy to do what was needed and I could relax/rest when need. I think Meditation could be helpful for everyone. Takes 5 min in the morning.

In these past 5 years lots has changed for me. After years of choosing to be a bachelor I ended up meeting a woman (who is now my wife) because I was giving back/helping others. I bought a bad ass BMX to ride around because well I enjoy it. I let go of a GTO that I cherished many many years back that I regretted selling so last year I bought one because it made me smile when driving it. This Saturday I'm going to have my first child a son. And it's all due to me doing something to get out of that rut and changing my thinking. Again, meditation helped a lot.

OP I'll leave you with a video that I have watched hundreds of time. I could probably give the speech myself at this point. It helped me with work and other things in life. Some quotes from the video I like are "Change your stinkin thinking" and "People who don't take step number one never take step number two". Hope all the responses you've received in this thread give you a way to go and don't forget you're not the only one to go through what you're going through.

[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:17 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I've gone through what I call slumps, where I'm burned out and don't feel much happiness in things where I should.

I just got back from the longest vacation I've taken in a long long time, expecting to be rejuvenated, but I'm very fatigued. I do feel more relaxed.

When I'm in a slump where I'm struggling with motivation, Just ****ing make myself stay on my feet when I get home from work, change my clothes and go outside and "do 1 thing". I'll go work in my shop, or spray a tank of roundup or just accomplish 1 thing before I go let myself sit and do the family thing. I've struggled with relaxing for a long time, and have too many side hustles sometimes.

In short, I just make myself plow through it and stay busy and eventually come out on top.
Same. I just pick something I'm dreading or putting off then go ahead and do it. The instant gratification I get when I'm done pushes me through the doldrums every time.
[Reply]
Boise_Chief 07:19 PM 07-30-2020
Not work related but totally burnt out on news and media. I still turn it on in the morning with coffee but the first thing that tweaks me off it goes. Occasionally I even see the weather.

What you are talking about I have fought thru the years. I have used games to stimulate my mind soduko, solitaire a, trivia etc. The key is a time limit i did 20 mins. Then I would force myself to go... attack whatever I should do weather it is brush my teeth submit bids, really whatever. Try to do each thing you need to do immediately. You would be surprised how much time we waste getting going. Schedule your time for you in whatever you enjoy regardless of if you feel like it. Idk it works for me. Also I have many fucks because I refuse to give any to anyone else.
[Reply]
eDave 07:23 PM 07-30-2020

I was making $115-125,000 working 75-80 hours a week while living in Northern Virginia. I became burnt out, fat, tired and no direction.

I quit my job to the shock of everyone, gave away everything I owned minus my summer clothes and some personal momentos that would fit in my car.

I drove to Scottsdale AZ in March 2017 with no job, no place to live, no family or friends here.

I found an incredible place to live, took 6 months off, went to the gym everyday and lost 80 pounds.

That was straight up bad ass.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:38 PM 07-30-2020
Yep, still there for the most part. Been there for two years. Basically, ever since my wife lost her mind with post-partum, got into crack, and ended up in prison.

I quit giving a fuck at all for a long while. I quit my job, gained a shitload of weight, and generally felt useless. I turned to playing video games all fucking night long and getting next to no sleep. Ignored my kids alot, not their needs but I just didn't spend time with them much.

One day I looked at the fat fuck I had become, the nasty person I'd become, and I started doing something to change it. I went back to work a year ago. I started seeing a doctor and getting a light dose of Prozac about 6 months ago. I quit drinking regular soda all day and night and lost 50 pounds. I'm making changes, but its been a slow go. I still feel a general lack of motivation, but its better than it was. I spend a bit more time with my kids. I know I could be better but Covid isn't helping too much in just taking them out and about.

I know there's an issue, which is half the battle. So, I keep working at it.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 07:42 PM 07-30-2020
get some counciling to buy time go on anti-depressant ultimately if you need a change it will happen on its own. Peoples hands are often forced on them when burned out. You find a way to continue or you change.
[Reply]
digger 07:46 PM 07-30-2020

[Reply]
MahiMike 07:47 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I was there 6 months ago. I Negotiated an exit from my Corp job and have never felt better! Lost 25 lbs on Intermittent Fasting and light circuit training. I've camped, hiked and fished 10+ National Parks through CA, NV, UT, CO, KS, NM, and AZ. I finished a 2nd College Degree, took a Harvard Business Course, and just started my 12th audiobook.

...The key is taking some time to focus on you! Not work, not kids, not wifey. Do something for you! Set goals for you!

The hardest part for me was starting to eat healthy and workout, but if you get through the first 3 weeks or so it becomes tremendously rewarding and it's obvious that this was what I was missing.
Damn you should have a PHD by 2021. Seriously though, that's awesome. Kudos.
[Reply]
eDave 07:48 PM 07-30-2020
Might as well post the entire movie.

A big contributing factor to my burnout was working from home for so long and the time it afforded me to do more work, sometimes for two different companies at the same time). I'd like to go back to co-location but just seeing the office in that clip kinda sickens me. I don't know how I could survive cubical life. And the long ass frustrating commute.
[Reply]
MahiMike 07:50 PM 07-30-2020

Planeteers kick ass!
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 07:58 PM 07-30-2020
Sometimes, things just need time
[Reply]
O.city 08:25 PM 07-30-2020
Buying a new dental practice right before a pandemic hits definitely burned me out a bit

Honestly though, best advice I could give is completely revamp your diet, exercise and fine people around you who are worth spending time with
[Reply]
O.city 08:33 PM 07-30-2020
Breath is a book written by James Nestor. Pick it up and give it a try
[Reply]
Coogs 08:53 PM 07-30-2020

:-) I'm envious! Been working my ass off for 2 1/2 months and am only down 10 pounds. I am thrilled as my body has a noticeable difference in tone around my legs, arms, and face/neck area, the slow pace of change around the midsection is maddening!
[Reply]
Page 6 of 20
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up