ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Netflix Limited Series - Unbelievable
007 10:45 PM 09-18-2019
Not very many series suck me in and provoke an emotional response quite like this one did. Anger, sadness, apathy, resentment, shock. I could add a few more but I don't want to give anything away. Probably one of the absolute best tv productions I have seen in a long time.

Don't watch the series trailer or read the description. Just watch it.

I would also suggest using spoilers here until people have completed it if you do watch.

Truly powerful drama.
[Reply]
007 03:47 PM 09-19-2019
I loved it when she said, "I-70 through Topeka was miserable"
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:58 PM 09-19-2019
I remember back in early 90's, Car Audio Magazine published an article titled something along the lines of "Tips From a Thief" thinking they were providing real life insights into protecting your car stereo system and instead it turned into a blueprint on how to steal peoples shit that most potential thieves had never considered prior to reading.

First thing I thought of when she was in Kansas.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:29 AM 10-20-2019
This thread put it on my radar, This American Life put it into the priority lane.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/581/anatomy-of-doubt

You can listen at the link above. They replayed the interviews that were the foundation for the series this past week. There is also a Pulitzer winning article on the matter.

I ended up watching the whole thing in a go. Some of it I monitored as I did weekend chores [dishes, laundry, etc]. But the whole thing drew me in, as the OP predicted.

What surprised me about it was the lack of affect and how effective that lack of affect was. There are no big speeches or histrionic scenery-chewing confrontations.

It is intriguing, frustrating, tense and angering just by the matter-of-fact recitation of the progression of events and the lack of a true demon [aside from the obvious one].

It is, in part a meditation on the subtle distinctions between doing a proper job and doing a committed empathetic job. There are big failures, and in retrospect, they are galling and inexcusable. But they are not failures of malice. They are failures of exhaustion, confusion, misinformation, imperfect information and/or inexperience.

And the portrayal of the central victim, without spoiling the narrative, hews true to the sense of her you get from the NPR/TAL interviews. Whenever people feel it proper to speak in spoiler terms, I have a lot more to say on it. But for now, it suffices to say I found it engrossing and compelling, as a story, as a performance, and as a method of telling.

In short, I started. And once I started I couldn't stop until I was finished. Seems like a firm recommendation to me.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up