ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 45
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>How friggin Cold are you?
Buehler445 01:12 PM 02-15-2021
Hey notorious. My county emergency management said the local utilities here don’t anticipate outages.

:-)
[Reply]
notorious 01:14 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Hey notorious. My county emergency management said the local utilities here don’t anticipate outages.

[Reply]
Buehler445 01:18 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
"don't anticipate" are the key words here
I’m guessing they have pretty good handle on the load that the grid services. There isn’t a ton of variability out here cows need fed everyday whether people run their heaters or not

Originally Posted by notorious:
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:13 PM 02-15-2021
"don't anticipate" are the key words here
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:18 PM 02-15-2021
no one in missouri should be bitching about this

a few days of this won't kill us
[Reply]
Kman34 01:20 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
no one in missouri should be bitching about this

a few days of this won't kill us
Hope you don’t lose power..:-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:26 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Hope you don’t lose power..:-)
I DID.

It was maybe 30 minutes.

It's fine.

This is the cost of living in a civilized society.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:30 PM 02-15-2021
I DID.

It was maybe 30 minutes.

It's fine.

Given the amount of taxes I pay, the country should have some excess electrical capacity.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:34 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Given the amount of taxes I pay, the country should have some excess electrical capacity.
I'm surprised you aren't getting some of the power from our massive windmill farms.

We've got thousands of them here and the power company sells it to other grids as surplus. Our power comes from a coal plant.
[Reply]
Kman34 01:36 PM 02-15-2021
I DID.

It was maybe 30 minutes.

It's fine.

I’ve lost power 6 times today.. luckily it has come back within a few seconds each time.. Getting tired of setting the Oven and microwave clocks.. Surging power makes me nervous..
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:37 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by Kman34:
I’ve lost power 6 times today.. luckily it has come back within a few seconds each time.. Getting tired of setting the Oven and microwave clocks.. Surging power makes me nervous..
You don't have your electronics on a UPS?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:40 PM 02-15-2021
You all are wimps

Originally Posted by :
Yes, it has been plenty cold lately, but the frigid air that has kept the mercury below zero the past four days won't make it into the record books.

Even another full day Monday with below zero temperatures won't be enough to make the cold snap one of the 10 longest in Twin Cities weather history. The mercury briefly ventured into positive territory on Thursday when it touched 1 degree, diminishing the chances of the arctic outbreak moving onto the top-10 list of extended periods below zero.

"We would have had a chance [at a record]," said Assistant State Climatologist Pete Boulay. If it were not for that 1 degree reading, "we would have had a good streak going."

The temperature remained at zero or below for 130 hours from Jan. 22 to 28, 1897, the tenth longest on record. The record for 186 hours Dec. 31, 1911 to Jan. 8, 1912, according to the Minnesota Climatology Office.

Temperatures have remained at or below zero for at least four consecutive days in the Twin Cities 27 times since record keeping began in 1873, Boulay said. The most recent streak was 27 years ago.

"It is hard to get on the list with such a long span of records," Boulay said.

The mercury hit minus 4 degrees on Sunday at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, missing a record for the lowest high temperature for Valentine's Day by one degree. The lowest high temperature recorded on Feb. 14 was minus 5 degrees in 1920.

"That was a record I was not sad about not breaking," said Chris O'Brien, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Chanhassen.

But other places have set records. Temperatures bottomed out at minus 50 degrees east of Ely on Sunday morning, setting a Valentine's Day record. That was followed by a minus 46 degree reading Monday morning.

Other chilly readings on Monday included minus 42 degrees north of Hibbing in Celina, Minn., minus 39 degrees in International Falls and minus 33 degrees in Cambridge and Princeton.

The Twin Cities didn't reach a forecast record low of 25 below zero. The temperature bottomed out at minus 17, O'Brien said.

"The urban heat island was really cranking last night," he said.

Temperatures will slowly moderate throughout the week and have a shot at cracking the freezing mark by the weekend. Once the thaw begins, a return to the deep freeze is unlikely, O'Brien said.

"This should be the worst of it," O'Brien said. "As we get into February, it's harder and harder to get the cold air."

Tim Harlow • 612-673-7768

[Reply]
kcclone 01:41 PM 02-15-2021
Probably not the ideal time to scrap the Keystone pipeline
[Reply]
BWillie 01:41 PM 02-15-2021
I don't understand the power outages if no power lines are down. It costs WAAAY more to cool ur home when its 100 than it does to heat your home when its -5. I can show you my electric bills to prove it. And its not even close. Never had a rolling power outage in the summer.
[Reply]
Donger 01:45 PM 02-15-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I don't understand the power outages if no power lines are down. It costs WAAAY more to cool ur home when its 100 than it does to heat your home when its -5. I can show you my electric bills to prove it. And its not even close. Never had a rolling power outage in the summer.
If generation can't meet demand...
[Reply]
Page 20 of 45
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up