ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 31
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>We have a new GM and his name is Brett Veach
okiedokieokoye 02:36 PM 07-10-2017
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
From @TomPelissero and me: The #Chiefs are finalizing a deal for Brett Veach to be their new GM.
[Reply]
Buckweath 09:32 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Seriously WTF was Dorsey thinking drafting these projects?

Wanna know why the Steelers are always competitive? They draft quality players who can play year 1 and be good long term players.

2017-TJ Watt, Juju, James Conner is playing some, Cam Sutton is getting a little bit of time.
2016-Artie Burns, Sean Davis and Javon Hargrave played roles their rookie years.
2015-Bud Dupree, Sammie Coates and Jesse James all played their rookie years.
2014-Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt, Martavis Bryant all played.

I hate the stupid slow approach of not playing premium picks year 1. Hated it with Dee Ford, hated it with Chris Conley and hated it with Steven Nelson.

Thank God we were actually forced to play Tanoh this year, and oh look! He actually looks pretty decent!
Here we go again. A Chiefs fan criticizing Dorsey for his draft picks when he proved to be one of the very best in the business. And what year recently did the Chiefs have the most snaps by their rookies in the entire league? Yeah, ok..
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:55 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Here we go again. A Chiefs fan criticizing Dorsey for his draft picks when he proved to be one of the very best in the business. And what year recently did the Chiefs have the most snaps by their rookies in the entire league? Yeah, ok..
Him and the anger management counselor Dane seem to think you have to hit on every draft pick and every contract has to be perfect in order to not deserve to be fired as a GM in the NFL.

Idiots.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:09 AM 12-15-2017
Dorsey did a great job hitting on a pick each draft, but he did not build quality depth on this team.

The defense has problems because of this. Thankfully, Brett Veach was able to help the ILB problem this year.

Imagine where this defense would be without Ragland and KPL?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:18 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Him and the anger management counselor Dane seem to think you have to hit on every draft pick and every contract has to be perfect in order to not deserve to be fired as a GM in the NFL.

Idiots.
You're a fucking turd
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:49 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Dorsey did a great job hitting on a pick each draft, but he did not build quality depth on this team.

The defense has problems because of this. Thankfully, Brett Veach was able to help the ILB problem this year.

Imagine where this defense would be without Ragland and KPL?
A great GM builds a roster that can continually, year in and year out, contend for a Super Bowl Championship.

In 5 years of Free Agent and draft acquisitions, this team is no closer to a Super Bowl than it was when Dorsey arrived in 2013.

Furthermore, the Prime Years of guys like Tamba Hali, Eric Berry, Justin Houston and even Dontari Poe, all of whom were on the roster before Dorsey arrived, have been wasted.
[Reply]
prhom 11:38 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
A great GM builds a roster that can continually, year in and year out, contend for a Super Bowl Championship.

In 5 years of Free Agent and draft acquisitions, this team is no closer to a Super Bowl than it was when Dorsey arrived in 2013.

Furthermore, the Prime Years of guys like Tamba Hali, Eric Berry, Justin Houston and even Dontari Poe, all of whom were on the roster before Dorsey arrived, have been wasted.
I think the failings of the Chiefs over Dorsey’s tenure can be explained by injuries, excessive contracts to players who should have been let go, and failure to find a franchise QB until too late. Tamba’s prime years were over before Dorsey got here. Berry lost a year to cancer. Houston got paid and then was MIA for the better part of two seasons. Poe hurt his back and was not the same. You can say what you want about depth, but the only teams that overcome injuries to key guys are teams with franchise, top QBs. Smith is a good QB, but we all agree he isn’t a put the team on your back and win no matter what scrubs are playing.

There’s a reason that we continually see many of the same teams in the post-season. The teams that make it stay healthy or have great QBs that can mask the effect of injuries. For the Chiefs to have faired better than we have over the last few years we needed to have more guys stay healthy or have Smith make up for it. We haven’t and Smith hasn’t quite been able to get it done. We have been surprisingly close, but just not quite there.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:58 AM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by prhom:
We have been surprisingly close, but just not quite there.
$78 million in Dead Cap Space under Dorsey, massive lack of depth, inability to draft pass rushers, cornerbacks, (outside of Peters, who was a head case coming out of college), linebackers and overall poor roster management.

I've said this before but Veach was able to add more talent in 3 months on the job (Butker, Ragland and KPL) than Dorsey did via the draft in 2017.

With 6 draft picks in 2017, Dorsey drafted exactly one impact player in Kareem Hunt.

Three of Dorsey's 2016 picks are no longer on the roster and two were cut before the season began in 5th rounder Kevin Hogan and 3rd rounder Keivarie Russell. While he hit on Hill (another troubled player) and Chris Jones (who slipped due to laziness), Ehinger, Murray and Robinson have been disappointments.

Don't even get me started on the 2013 and 2014 drafts. Sheesh.
[Reply]
Buckweath 12:24 PM 12-15-2017
$78 million in Dead Cap Space under Dorsey, massive lack of depth, inability to draft pass rushers, cornerbacks, (outside of Peters, who was a head case coming out of college), linebackers and overall poor roster management.

I've said this before but Veach was able to add more talent in 3 months on the job (Butker, Ragland and KPL) than Dorsey did via the draft in 2017.

With 6 draft picks in 2017, Dorsey drafted exactly one impact player in Kareem Hunt.

Three of Dorsey's 2016 picks are no longer on the roster and two were cut before the season began in 5th rounder Kevin Hogan and 3rd rounder Keivarie Russell. While he hit on Hill (another troubled player) and Chris Jones (who slipped due to laziness), Ehinger, Murray and Robinson have been disappointments.

I don't have time for now to defend Dorsey whom I am really high on but you clearly lose credibility when judging this past draft class saying he drafted exactly one impact player.

If anything, between Mahomes, Kpassagnon, Chesson and Eligwe, this draft class should be judged in two years from now and right now it looks promising IMO. I feel really good about that draft class.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:03 PM 12-15-2017
I don't have time for now to defend Dorsey whom I am really high on but you clearly lose credibility when judging this past draft class saying he drafted exactly one impact player.

If anything, between Mahomes, Kpassagnon, Chesson and Eligwe, this draft class should be judged in two years from now and right now it looks promising IMO. I feel really good about that draft class.
You're just dumb as fuck

Congrats
[Reply]
prhom 03:58 PM 12-15-2017

You are right about dead cap space and I agree with that point completely. Using hindsight, who and how would you have picked differently this past draft ahead of Kareem Hunt? I’m happy with Mahomes and what we had to do to get him. Expecting immediate impact players after round 3 seem an unreasonable standard. So that leaves us arguing about who would have been a better pick than Kpassagnon?

Look, I like what Veach has done so far and hope he’s better than Dorsey. I just think criticizing Dorsey’s drafting is odd. Especially the 2017 draft because of what he gave up for Mahomes.

He missed in the pass rushers because we had spent so much on Houston and Dee Ford teased a little making plenty think he might actually be okay before disappearing last half of last year and this year. Steven Nelson seems average and is starter quality on many teams. He has struggled with the other CBs for sure though. I guess we just see it differently.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:12 PM 12-15-2017

I dont recall you being this down on Dorsey until he was fired

It wasnt ALL bad, was it? He gave this team direction (build through the draft primarily) hope and some exciting players along the way... yes, he clearly bungled some things and I'm not trying to excuse those

And come on... no closer to the big one than the 2-14 murder/suicide? If for nothing else, he deserves our everlasting gratitude for Mahomes

Veach may have found him, and pushed for him... but the decision to make a huge move for him ultimately rests with Dorsey
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:23 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I dont recall you being this down on Dorsey until he was fired
That's not true. I really didn't like the 2016 draft and called upon him to release Russell and Robinson. He did release Russell and I praised him for that but he made many, many errors during his time with the Chiefs, especially with free agency and contract values, that the decision to fire him made complete sense to me.

It wasnt ALL bad, was it? He gave this team direction (build through the draft primarily) hope and some exciting players along the way... yes, he clearly bungled some things and I'm not trying to excuse those
Outside of the QB position, the Chiefs were a pretty talented team in 2013, both offensively and defensively. Dorsey's additions that year in free agency were a mixed bag: Avery, DeVito and Fasano were "okay" additions, Dunta Robinson was awful. Eric Fisher, drafted as a left tackle, was a disaster on the right side and Kelce didn't contribute due to a knee injury.

For the most part, Reid coached up the existing players.

And come on... no closer to the big one than the 2-14 murder/suicide? If for nothing else, he deserves our everlasting gratitude for Mahomes
The decision to draft Mahomes wasn't driven by one person. Veach scouted him hard, brought him to Reid, who visited Texas Tech and met with the peeps on campus. Dorsey was no where to be found.

And yes, barring some unforeseen miracle, this team is no closer to a Super Bowl in 2017 than they were in 2012. Houston and Berry will soon be on the wrong side of 30, Hali is done, the receiving corp, outside of Hill now that Conley's gone, is meh at best, etc. and so on.

Veach could find three legit, immediate impact rookies next year and the Chiefs would still need ridiculous play from the QB and defense to push for a Super Bowl.

That's a lot to ask, especially minus a first round pick.

Veach may have found him, and pushed for him... but the decision to make a huge move for him ultimately rests with Dorsey
From all reports, it was a decision made by Dorsey, Hunt and Reid. And while I expect Mahomes to have a great career, he still hasn't played a single down in the NFL, so the jury is out.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:42 PM 12-15-2017
The top reasons this team has underperformed under Dorsey is QB, coaching, and scheme. Decisions he had very little say in. And changing those things will go a very long way into fixing what we have now too. He's not the problem. There is plenty of talent for this team to be much better than how they're playing right now. He left the cap a mess. But that doesn't explain why the current team has underperformed.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:44 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The top reasons this team has underperformed under Dorsey is QB, coaching, and scheme.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:46 PM 12-15-2017
:-) :-)
Right. We lost to Pittsburgh last year because we didn't draft a good enough LB or RB. It was the talent outside those 3 things that was the problem.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 31
« First < 131920212223 24252627 > Last »
Up