ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 31
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>We have a new GM and his name is Brett Veach
okiedokieokoye 02:36 PM 07-10-2017
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
From @TomPelissero and me: The #Chiefs are finalizing a deal for Brett Veach to be their new GM.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:08 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Nonsense.
So the guaranteed 8 million for Logan didn't result in them being over the cap? OK. You cant just sign every FA with a flagrant disregard for its limits.

Where exactly were they expecting to make up this money?

I'm not saying a run stuffing DT wasn't a higher priority...but KC didnt have the $$$.

Maclin was cut to get under the cap....and Dorsey knew his contract allowed for it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:10 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Cochise:
I agree totally. If Hunt had been planning to fire Dorsey back then, it makes no sense to let Ballard walk away for nothing. The contract situation coming up was no surprise, and Hunt is no fool. That's why the official story smells, and Reid being extended simultaneously also carries a similar fishy scent.
Obviously, he wasn't planning to fire him in January.

Duh.

And the contract situation wasn't "coming up", as Dorsey had another year on his deal. He could have remained under employ for the 2017 League Year and would have had plenty of time to discuss an extension with his agent.

Your rampant uninformed speculation is tiring.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:12 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
So the guaranteed 8 million for Logan didn't result in them being over the cap? OK. You cant just sign every FA with a flagrant disregard for its limits.

Where exactly were they expecting to make up this money?

I'm not saying a run stuffing DT wasn't a higher priority...but KC didnt have the $$$.
JFC, he signed Eric Berry to a $13 million dollar per year deal as well. He cut Jaye Howard, which gave them cap relief, too.

Declining to sign Poe and signing Logan had absolutely nothing to do with Maclin's release, as Maclin stated that the Chiefs didn't even discuss renegotiating his contract.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:23 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
JFC, he signed Eric Berry to a $13 million dollar per year deal as well. He cut Jaye Howard, which gave them cap relief, too.

Declining to sign Poe and signing Logan had absolutely nothing to do with Maclin's release, as Maclin stated that the Chiefs didn't even discuss renegotiating his contract.
Word is Hunt signed Berry...and his hit is only $5 million this season.

Logan's 8 million had everything to due with being over the cap...he was the only expensive FA signed this year that wasn't already on the team.

They were already up against the cap without Poe...hence moving Berry's real money to 2018/2019 and releasing Howard..

Dorsey didn't want to move Maclin's money around...they are going to have cash problems next season too. He wasn't worth his contract and it offered an out with minimal long-term damage. It was the right move...handled poorly. If Maclin wasn't Reid's surrogate son...it wouldn't have been such a big deal. IMO.
[Reply]
booger 01:58 PM 07-11-2017
Tim Terry is an interesting hire when they had the shake up in May. Obviously well known by Dorsey from working in GB. When Dorsey getting let go I wondered if Terry might have some regrets accepting with Dorsey being basically the only person he worked with before.

But Terry also started off in player development/engagement helping players deal with all sorts of things on and off field. Terry himself also has his masters, his being in management. So all of his education and roles in GB it's safe to assume he himself is a strong communicator fitting very well with Veach and possibly climbing the ladder quickly. Borgonzi I could see getting promoted. Only positions above his current one would be VP of player personnel, Director of Football operations ( Ballards last title in KC) or asst GM.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see a Tom Gamble or even Grigson type come in as the short term #2 or #3
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:06 PM 07-11-2017
Word is Hunt signed Berry...and his hit is only $5 million this season.
Clark Hunt didn't "sign" Eric Berry. He reached out to him and made him comfortable, so that he'd sign.

Logan's 8 million had everything to due with being over the cap...he was the only expensive FA signed this year that wasn't already on the team.
Bullshit. This is complete and utter bullshit. Logan was signed on March 13th. If Dorsey felt that they weren't going to be Cap Compliant, he would have cut Maclin in March and given him a June 1 Designation.

They were already up against the cap without Poe...hence moving Berry's real money to 2018/2019 and releasing Howard.
No. Howard failed his physical, plain and simple. They weren't even sure he'd latch on with another team. Fortunately, the Bears signed him and the Chiefs received another $2.5 million in cap relief.

Dorsey didn't want to move Maclin's money around...they are going to have cash problems next season too. He wasn't worth his contract and it offered an out with minimal long-term damage. It was the right move...handled poorly. If Maclin wasn't Reid's surrogate son...it wouldn't have been such a big deal. IMO.
Again, no. Where the fuck are you getting this nonsense?

If the Chiefs intended to cut Maclin for salary cap space, they could have done so on the 1st Day of the new League Year.

There's absolutely NO WAY that Dorsey said to himself on March 13, "I'm going to sign Bennie Logan for $8 million, then next month, I'm going to cut Jaye Howard to gain $4-5 million more in cap space and on June 2nd, I'm cutting Maclin, take a Dead Money hit and create more Cap Space".

No way.

Also, the Chiefs are currently $11 million under the salary cap, so if Dorsey had approached Maclin and asked him to restructure to what he received in Baltimore ($6 million per), the Chiefs would STILL be $5 million under the cap.

Your "theory" is complete and utter rubbish.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 02:11 PM 07-11-2017
This promotion appears to be the handy work of Andy.

Andy is pulling the strings and this feels very similar to the last couple of years in Philly....When Andy and Brett where running the show and the team won only 6 six games back to back years.

Maybe they learned their lesson on not signing a bunch of free agents...I don't know. But, the eye for talent that Dorsey had will be hard to beat by anyone.
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:14 PM 07-11-2017
Dorsey forced the Maclin release by signing Logan...and didn't keep Reid in the financial/salary cap loop. It sounds like the release was delayed as long as possible then handled in a very awkward way...like he didnt know exactly how to break it to Andy/Hunt that they were out of $$. He would HAVE to know that would piss Reid off. Keeping Maclin at OTAs while knowing they couldn't afford him was strange...motivated potentially by not wanting to cut him during his wedding? My initial thought when I heard he was let go..was "that's a "dick" move, he could have been injured." Dorsey milked it as long as he could before the cap deadline.

One question is did Andy have no prior knowledge that Maclin was a potential cap casualty? Its a really bad look for Reid (from the player's perspective)...to be at his wedding and acting like everything is great...knowing he was about to be released. Gives the impression of being underhanded...and dishonest. Dorsey hung him out to dry...if that was the case.

It would explain the abrupt firing while already letting Ballard go. It wasn't a planned, premeditated thing..it's not the only reason he was fired but it was possibly the straw that broke it.

a previous article stated that Dorsey started doing things without consulting others...maybe because of how the real power structure tied his hands?
Yeah man, that makes tons of sense that the Head Coach and the Owner had less knowledge of the Chiefs cap situation than we do on CP. Your theories are completely unpossible.
[Reply]
SAUTO 02:21 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by penbrook:
Reid is the one who went down to Washington prior to draft day and talked to
him one in one
No. Reid and Ballard went to Oakland to meet him and his family, iirc
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:21 PM 07-11-2017
I love how all the dudes with no more insight into the Chiefs front office than my fucking 4 year old grand daughter have all the answers-

This was a Reid power play

Dorsey scouted every draft pick personally

Dorsey didn't follow the dress code

Let's at least make up something good. Dorsey was running a white slavery ring and selling local teenage girls into sexual slavery from his office at 1 Arrowhead. He kidnapped Clark's daughter and Clark wanted to give him a three week head start before he went all Liam Neeson on his ass.
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:43 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan:

Andy is pulling the strings and this feels very similar to the last couple of years in Philly....When Andy and Brett where running the show and the team won only 6 six games back to back years.

Maybe they learned their lesson on not signing a bunch of free agents...I don't know. But, the eye for talent that Dorsey had will be hard to beat by anyone.
Pretty much how I feel.

Hunt seems to be so in love with Reid that he has all but handed the reins over to him, by getting rid of a GM that may have been a moderating influence and installing one from Reid's 'tree' that seems certain to be weaker than Dorsey or to not really be Reid's peer.

In Philadelphia, Reid also got a GM partway through his run, in 2006, after he'd gone from a Super Bowl loss to 6-10. That GM was also one of Reid's people promoted from within. Heckert did not have the final say in player personnel, Reid still did, which is hopefully not what is developing in KC.

The Eagles had a losing record in the postseason thereafter in Reid's run and never really contended again, although it took 6 more years for them to clean house.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:53 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan:

:-) wtf?
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 04:07 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
:-) wtf?
he spent years as reid's assistant ...in philly...
[Reply]
staylor26 04:10 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
he spent years as reid's assistant ...in philly...
Yea but he said Brett and Reid were "running the show"

That is certainly not the case
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 04:12 PM 07-11-2017
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea but he said Brett and Reid were "running the show"

That is definitely not the case
dude you are seriously wanting to argue about stupid shit liek this all the time

reid was running the show in 2007

he made veach his assistant

so they were runnign shit...together

stop being a fuckign asshole for once stop just trying to argue every little semantic thing and proving what badass you are, you make yourself look like a fucking tool
[Reply]
Page 14 of 31
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up