< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
Pennywise 12:21 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco:
The contents especially, and even the architectural details, are really irreplaceable.
This is a great point. What's inside is probably more valuable and irreplaceable.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:22 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Looks like somebodies got a case of the Mondays! TFW you're supposed to be doing construction but instead you burned down a famous historical site. Oof
Yeah, here's a photo from before the fire. If it was a construction issue, I'm not sure what kind of insurance you need to cover destroying one of your country's most famous medieval sites.

[Reply]
DaFace 12:22 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
What did that self righteous turd do now?
Posted Trump tweets about it. Kiimosabi too.
[Reply]
Donger 12:22 PM 04-15-2019
I've never been there, but I thought that all the super valuable stuff got moved out after the French Revolution?
[Reply]
eDave 12:22 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
What did that self righteous turd do now?
Check your rep.
[Reply]
Skyy God 12:23 PM 04-15-2019
Sacre bleu!
[Reply]
srvy 12:24 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, at least they got a hose on it...
Took them nearly 2 hours. I guess it started right at rush hour.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:25 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, here's a photo from before the fire. If it was a construction issue, I'm not sure what kind of insurance you need to cover destroying one of your country's most famous medieval sites.

Even if insurance would cover the actual damage, there's no way it could come close to covering the economic damage one. I'm confident that at least some people will change their plans to visit Paris without Notre Dame as a place they can visit. It's gonna cost millions in tourism dollars, maybe billions.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:27 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
What a shame. I really hope that’s an accident because if it wasn’t there isn’t enough torture for whoever did it.
I shit you not, if this Anti -Christian motivated I could see most of Europe going scrotched Earth to find culprit(s)
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:27 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
I've never been there, but I thought that all the super valuable stuff got moved out after the French Revolution?
That happened with Versailles, but I don't know if it happened with Notre Dame. As a church-run place, I'd suspect that they avoided that fate.

I've been there, and it's got a lot of stuff in it. I have no idea of the historic importance of it, though - it was just lots of Jesuses and stuff so I didn't pay much attention.

The stained glass was impressive, and just the architecture in general. And both of those may be in trouble. At least the architecture is mostly stone.
[Reply]
srvy 12:29 PM 04-15-2019
Hope all were able to get out safely. An 800 year old building is probably a tinderbox.
[Reply]
Pennywise 12:30 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Hope all were able to get out safely. An 800 year old building is probably a tinderbox.
I hope Rudy made it out.
[Reply]
Donger 12:30 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
going scrotched Earth
Sound skinky...
[Reply]
kcpasco 12:31 PM 04-15-2019
The stained glass art is irreplaceable.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:33 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That happened with Versailles, but I don't know if it happened with Notre Dame. As a church-run place, I'd suspect that they avoided that fate.

I've been there, and it's got a lot of stuff in it. I have no idea of the historic importance of it, though - it was just lots of Jesuses and stuff so I didn't pay much attention.

The stained glass was impressive, and just the architecture in general. And both of those may be in trouble. At least the architecture is mostly stone.
I have to imagine the stained glass in the back half of the building is gone. The framing might be intact, but the glass itself would melt with that heat I bet.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 14
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up