< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eddie Van Halen has Died
chinaski 01:42 PM 10-06-2020
Breaking Now

:-)
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:20 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by ping2000:
This thread went sideways fast. Probably happened after Mozart died too. People claiming Bach was better, someone claiming his best friend built his horse drawn carriage, etc. Rest in peace Eddie. You were a great guitarist and we enjoyed your music. Cancer sucks.
Except the letters to the editor took months, not minutes
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:20 PM 10-06-2020
Best rock guitar player...and its not really close...I'd give Randy Rhodes honorable mention...and Tony Iommi mad influential style points.

People forget how ahead of his time he was...he scared the shit out of musicians. He was hooking up light dimmers to drive his tubes.

RIP Rock God....you made my childhood better and added memorable late 70s/early 80's culture to our world.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:20 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
It's the creativity and composition that sets Eddie apart from Stevie. Blues are easier too. See Joe Bonamassa.
Eddie Van Halen changed absolutely everything about the electric guitar.

He was the first guitarist or even guitar designer to put a Humbucking Pickup in a Stratocaster body, which he wax potted to eliminate feedback, which was a brand new concept. He was the first to use a Variac to decrease the voltage to his modified Marshall model number 1968, in which the tube rectifier had been replace with a silicon rectifier for a "tigther" tone and less mushy bottom end.

He not only revolutionized guitar equipment over the years, with his very own line of guitars and amplifiers but he dabbled in pedals, legitimized the use of Stainless Steel frets and strings (many people, me including, find both to be "plinky" but Eddie made it work) and of course, his signature two-handed-tapping technique that was copied the world over for more than 43 years.

He also popularized the Floyd Rose Locking Tremelo system, which has been standard on many guitar models since the early 80's. Nearly every serious guitarist has at least one "Super Strat" with a humbucker and a Floyd Rose.

The dude literally changed the music world.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 02:21 PM 10-06-2020
No Sammy Hagar or SRV posts in the Van Halen tribute thread. Thanks in advance...:-)
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 02:21 PM 10-06-2020
No Sammy Hagar or SRV posts in the Van Halen tribute thread. Thanks in advance...:-)
[Reply]
Bweb 02:22 PM 10-06-2020
RIP Eddie.

I am in the 50's age group and have been listening to his music my entire life.
Saw him in concert twice...Excellent!
On my afternoon run, I will be listening to Van Halen.
Sad Day :-)
[Reply]
eDave 02:23 PM 10-06-2020
Roy Clark > SRV. True statement.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:26 PM 10-06-2020
It's the creativity and composition that sets Eddie apart from Stevie. Blues are easier too. See Joe Bonamassa.
Eddie had the most distinct sound ever. He holds patents for his inventions. His guitars were the coolest ever built. He was a modern day Mozart. He inspired a generation to pick up the axe ( or build one) and learn to tap.

The Van Halen brothers had an amazing career. They built two huge bands with two completely different singers. Their musical catalog is legendary and ranks with the best of all time.

Alex is a musical prodigy as well. I am sure their story will be a movie some day. This is a sad day for the music world.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:26 PM 10-06-2020
only a few times I can remember being stopped in my tracks after hearing something for the first time.

Intro to Mean Street; first time I ever heard VH at all, when the sound came from my brothers room via record player. I was probably like,...5.

2nd time when I heard a Ducati 916 roll up to Shawnee Cycle plaza when I was there picking up a new visor for my helmet circa 2000. first time I had ever heard a Ducati. Sounded like a Chevelle rolling up. Been hooked on them ever since..though yet to own one still.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:26 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Eddie Van Halen changed absolutely everything about the electric guitar.

He was the first guitarist or even guitar designer to put a Humbucking Pickup in a Stratocaster body, which he wax potted to eliminate feedback, which was a brand new concept. He was the first to use a Variac to decrease the voltage to his modified Marshall model number 1968, in which the tube rectifier had been replace with a silicon rectifier for a "tigther" tone and less mushy bottom end.

He not only revolutionized guitar equipment over the years, with his very own line of guitars and amplifiers but he dabbled in pedals, legitimized the use of Stainless Steel frets and strings (many people, me including, find both to be "plinky" but Eddie made it work) and of course, his signature two-handed-tapping technique that was copied the world over for more than 43 years.

The dude literally changed the music world.
I don't remember the year (1978-79?) but I was getting into my car one day and flipped on the radio. "Running with the Devil" came on. I sat there with my mouth hung open. Now, I have been a shade tree musician (Bass) since I was 10 years old - I have played with and heard guitar players for more years than I can even remember - but NEVER have I heard anyone like that - that included Hendrix, Farner, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Marino, on and on and on.....

Sure, tapping the fretboard was nothing new - it started years before, but Van Halen perfected it. And how!!!

RIP Eddie.....
[Reply]
ping2000 02:27 PM 10-06-2020
Going to piss off the neighbors now by cranking the Marshall and playing a poor tribute on my SG. No Frankenstrat available. Sorry Eddie.
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:29 PM 10-06-2020
It's a shame how all these great musicians from my youth are all getting old and croaking off. Seems like one or two every week now.
[Reply]
Pennywise 02:30 PM 10-06-2020
Roy Clark > SRV. True statement.
Roy Clark is a badass but you're high. RIP Eddie.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:30 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
I am sure their story will be a movie some day.
If there's a movie, it'll be whitewashed, big time.

Eddie was an asshole to just about everyone, including his own brother. He cheated constantly on Valerie Bertinelli, shit on Ted Templeman, on DLR, on Sammy Hagar and on bands in which he wasn't even involved.

He was a methed-out alcoholic asshole for nearly a decade, was completely wasted during VH's 2004 tour and as such, was a very, very lonely man who didn't have a circle of friends.
[Reply]
warrior 02:30 PM 10-06-2020
Well that's an absolute bummer-RIP Eddie
[Reply]
tatorhog 02:31 PM 10-06-2020
Man, sad day. Van Halen was just one of those monster groups we all grew up with. Learn from his mistakes. RIP
[Reply]
Page 4 of 31
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up