ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>**** Official 2020 Fitness Thread ****
penguinz 07:53 PM 02-18-2020
Where is everyone on their fitness goals these days?

I recently reached 315 bench. Feel stronger than ever but also getting old and takes so long to recover!
[Reply]
philfree 11:32 AM 02-20-2020
Most effective way would be a combo of weights and cardio or what ever they call it these days. The tech on cardio these days seems to be HITT instead of just grinding out 45 minutes plus of what ever cardio you're doing. That's what the 14 minute workout on the Max is about. And also when it comes to lifting, high reps with low weights really isn't that good from my experience. Didn't really keep my muscles supple like I wanted. I think it had the opposite effect.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:50 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
And also when it comes to lifting, high reps with low weights really isn't that good from my experience. Didn't really keep my muscles supple like I wanted. I think it had the opposite effect.
Then you are doing it wrong. High reps at lower weight can be just as effective as high weight low reps.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 02:06 PM 02-20-2020
Started working legs hard a few months ago. Was always doing cardio involving legs but wasn't doing much lifting with them. Have a Smith machine in my house and started doing 5 sets of 12 rep squats at least twice a week. Also have a leg curl machine and started basically the same program for hamstrings. Doing hip resistance bands also. Up to 200lbs for my last squat set and 50 for my last hamstring set. Took about a month before I noticed any size difference, but definitely can see it at this point.

Should've been doing this all along - especially the squats. Makes such a huge difference in everything you do. Even everyday life things like golf, climbing stairs, yard work, etc.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:15 PM 02-20-2020
Squats and deadlifts are great. Probably the best bang for your buck lifts you can do.
[Reply]
Chargem 04:38 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by kepp:
Okay, so I joined a gym after a LONG absence from lifting/working out. I have been running for 10 years or so and am in good overall cardio shape, but have gotten skinny fat, as runners often do.

In my mid-to-late 20's, I was much more into lifting. My max bench reached 295 at one point. But I have to say, I'm a bit discouraged. I've been going for a few weeks now, but I can barely put up 135 a couple times. I'm basically starting from scratch.

I'm 5'11" and weigh ~175, but I have a higher fat percentage than I'd like...like over 20%. My goal is to be tone (belly) and gain strength. I don't necessarily feel the need to get to where I used to be, but I'd like to be able to do 225 a few times.

So...lose fat, tone up, gain strength. Any suggestions on how to organize workouts?
Either Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 is the biggest bang for your buck in getting you back up to respectable weights quickly and adding some muscle.
[Reply]
notorious 04:44 PM 02-20-2020
It's not official but
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327750

I'm digging the Bowflex Max.
Be careful. A friend gave me his Bowflex Extreme 2 SE, I replaced the rods.

It's okay, but I maxed the thing out in the first day with new rods. The fucking cables twisted a lot, and I had to farmer-fix them. (fairly easy)

I like some of the workouts, but end up doing free weights when it's time to burn.
[Reply]
notorious 04:45 PM 02-20-2020
Marcellus, I have been doing the 150-200 grams protein, 300 carbs diet and it's working well.

I haven't felt this good in years. Workouts are fantastic, but damn this extra energy is eye-opening.

I can't believe I tried the low-carb keto bullshit in December. I felt like shit 95% of the time. Fuck that diet.
[Reply]
penguinz 04:45 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Started working legs hard a few months ago. Was always doing cardio involving legs but wasn't doing much lifting with them. Have a Smith machine in my house and started doing 5 sets of 12 rep squats at least twice a week. Also have a leg curl machine and started basically the same program for hamstrings. Doing hip resistance bands also. Up to 200lbs for my last squat set and 50 for my last hamstring set. Took about a month before I noticed any size difference, but definitely can see it at this point.

Should've been doing this all along - especially the squats. Makes such a huge difference in everything you do. Even everyday life things like golf, climbing stairs, yard work, etc.
Really want to blast the **** out of your legs? Throw 135 on the bar and do 100 reps of squats in as few sets as possible. Do that twice a week until you can do it on a regular basis in 1-2 sets.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04:46 PM 02-20-2020
Most effective way would be a combo of weights and cardio or what ever they call it these days. The tech on cardio these days seems to be HITT instead of just grinding out 45 minutes plus of what ever cardio you're doing. That's what the 14 minute workout on the Max is about. And also when it comes to lifting, high reps with low weights really isn't that good from my experience. Didn't really keep my muscles supple like I wanted. I think it had the opposite effect.
Agreed here!! Do HITT two times a week and do a Push/Pull/Legs for the other three days. Mix in abs at the end of every workout too. 80% of what you look like though is nutrition. For morning stick with eggs and oatmeal. Fruit and veggies are always good. Chicken, Steak, salmon and turkey are all good sources of protein you want to eat. Eat three meals a day but throw in a snack or two but healthy one. Nuts are a really good snack.
[Reply]
Marcellus 05:49 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Marcellus, I have been doing the 150-200 grams protein, 300 carbs diet and it's working well.

I haven't felt this good in years. Workouts are fantastic, but damn this extra energy is eye-opening.

I can't believe I tried the low-carb keto bullshit in December. I felt like shit 95% of the time. **** that diet.
Thats awesome, key is finding something you like and that you will stick with and results tend to help that along.
[Reply]
penguinz 06:36 PM 02-20-2020
My 13 year old just made fun of me for not doing my full reps at 295.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:50 PM 02-20-2020
I'm down 17 pounds since the Chiefs became SuperBowl Champions.

No Beer

No breakfast
1/2 a chicken breast and one egg for lunch

Large salad topped with turkey for Dinner.

Bam! 17 pounds in 18 days bitches!
[Reply]
notorious 08:46 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I'm down 17 pounds since the Chiefs became SuperBowl Champions.

No Beer

No breakfast
1/2 a chicken breast and one egg for lunch

Large salad topped with turkey for Dinner.

Bam! 17 pounds in 18 days bitches!
The cure is worse than the disease!!!!
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:37 PM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
The cure is worse than the disease!!!!
I work out so I CAN drink beer.
[Reply]
philfree 10:11 PM 02-21-2020
Did a good workout yesterday but then had some cocktails so no workout today. Going take a 1/2 gallon jug of water out to the hot tub and drink it while I boil myself.

Had a bad food experience yesterday. Took the wife to her favorite sushi place and when we go there some times I deviate from what's on the menu. I ordered a roll that was supposed to have only lobster in it. I have them leave out the celery and carrot and other stuff. Well I don't know what the server told the chef but when I got my order the celery and stuff was in it. Okay no biggie I figured I would just go ahead and eat it that way as it's still a good roll. I ate a piece or two and it didn't seem right. I was looking at it and ate another piece or two. Then I figured it out. They served me raw lobster. I've lived so far but ewwww. I probably got some kind of nasty bacteria running through my intestines. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up