ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Why aren't we happy with the safety position heading into 2019?
Direckshun 11:27 AM 03-20-2019
We just signed Mathieu, who's awesome.

I know nobody likes Sorensen's cap number, but I think he's worth it -- he's starting-caliber. He picked off Brady and stopped a 4th and 1 in the AFCCG.

Armani Watts obviously is an injury concern but all safeties are injury concerns, and Watts showed well before he went down.

Jordan Lucas looks really solid.

I don't like Eric Murray so I don't care there, but we're pretty solid at safety, as much as we are any position on the defense. We don't need to spend $12m on Earl Thomas or burn a 1st or 2nd day pick on the position.

Remember the goal: the goal is to get the defense to be league-average while the offense destroys people.

Our safety position right now is league average.

Let's invest in the positions we are less than league average at: corner, passrusher, linebacker. Basically everywhere else on the defense except for safety.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:30 AM 03-20-2019
A better safety than Sorenson could have made a difference on each of the Pats final two drives. He was a step (if not two steps) late on several plays.

I fully agree with your analysis otherwise.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:32 AM 03-20-2019
I think the team thinks they can at least partially fix the front seven with a new scheme and coaching. CB is a big need still obviously, but I bet they do less up front than you'd think.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:32 AM 03-20-2019
For me, the biggest reason I think they need to do more at safety is because all of the evidence points to the CHIEFS thinking they need to do more at safety. They almost signed Earl Thomas AFTER they signed Mathieu, which tells me they still think they have a need at FS. I actually agree with them. Sorenson isn't a starting single high safety.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:33 AM 03-20-2019
We will have to wait and see what happens Sans Sutton's Suck. It's possible that Spags can wave his magic wand and turn everything around but I doubt it. We have a lot of plays that have looked really shitty under Bob Sutton. Our Safeties have looked especially shitty under Sutton.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:37 AM 03-20-2019
Depends on how often we are going to be in nickel and dime. Which we will probably be in a lot. In those situations Spags has used a 3rd safety. CB market is not very good in FA and the draft. They have stated that Tyrann can also be used as a nickel corner.
[Reply]
tmax63 11:37 AM 03-20-2019
Currently I see the Chiefs needing a CB and pass rusher/DE with 2 of the 1st 3 picks and an interior OL with the 3rd if the draft was tomorrow and they still have cap space to play with. That's a long ways from where they were.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:39 AM 03-20-2019
Get ready for a DB in round 2, and maybe a couple.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:44 AM 03-20-2019
Cut Sorenson and sign Boston at this point. I'd love to grab Adderely in the 1st but I think they're looking to go DE there.
[Reply]
Buckweath 11:44 AM 03-20-2019
The safeties are fine as is if the CB group is to be real strong, which would possibly require a 1st/2nd round pick at the position plus a trade for a good veteran CB.

Otherwise, if this team was to start let's say Fuller, Breeland and Dennard, I'd like that 2nd safety position to be improved.

All in all, the CB group for sure needs improvement and the safety position depending on how much you improve the CB group.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:45 AM 03-20-2019
Sorenson is the longest tenured Chief on that defense. He will stay.
[Reply]
Buckweath 11:45 AM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Currently I see the Chiefs needing a CB and pass rusher/DE with 2 of the 1st 3 picks and an interior OL with the 3rd if the draft was tomorrow and they still have cap space to play with. That's a long ways from where they were.
I perfectly agree with that. That's my guess as far as how the draft will unfold.

LB and S are possibilities also.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:46 AM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Sorenson is the longest tenured Chief on that defense. He will stay.
As a backup most likely.
[Reply]
bricks 11:47 AM 03-20-2019
I still think we need a safety that has good range. We clearly don't have that on our roster right now. I would clear love for them to get that guy through the draft. However, is that a main need? No. I think MLB is the biggest position of need right now on the D.

Mathieu is a good box safety and Sorenson is a solid backup. Lucas is solid as well. I like Armani Watts but I have a feeling that he may be an injury prone player. We could still use more DBs not only at FS but even CBs as well.
[Reply]
Otter 11:50 AM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Get ready for a DB in round 2, and maybe a couple.
An interracial couple? Gay couple? Straight couple? Couple of beers?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Up