ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1183 of 3903
« First < 18368310831133117311791180118111821183 118411851186118711931233128316832183 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
burt 09:19 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
{cocks head like quizzical labrador}

I KNEW I should've taken y'all up on that invitation to the moderators lounge...
When they did...was the term "blanket party" mentioned??
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:19 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I’m getting a real sense around here that people think this thing is beat. I know more people were out this morning & I’ve been told that state workers are going back to work next week.
It isn't.

But like O.City and others said (using the mighty power of 'hindsight', I guess) - people aren't going to just sit inside for months. It was never realistic. A complete lockdown of indefinite duration had the staying power of a fart in a hurricane.

Yes, people are going back out. They were ALWAYS going to go back out. Which was why a staggered and measured approach was always preferable in areas where it was feasible.

So, y'know, 80% of the country.

The heavy-handed and poorly-tailored response to this will create significant problems as we progress. And the public response will be less and less robust. And in the end, we'll be as bad or worse off for it and over a much longer timeline.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:20 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by burt:
When they did...was the term "blanket party" mentioned??
Nah. You haven't seen my basement.

I mean...had they mentioned a blanket party there's no way I'd have turned them down.
[Reply]
O.city 09:20 AM 04-07-2020
But again, that's exactly my point.

Why COULDN'T we have tried that in areas where they are well suited for it? Boone County would've been perfect. A relatively young population that's quite diverse because of the hospital/university staff. We have a HUGE medical presence here; almost 20% of the state's ICU capacity despite only having about 180K people. There was virtually no spread at all.

This would've been a perfect spot to take measured, tailored approaches and let them breathe for a bit. And there are areas like ours in every state in the union.

I'm not saying do that everywhere. I'm not saying take NY's approach everywhere. I'm saying the opposite of both things.

I've mentioned this before, but my buddy who went to The Citadel and did a couple tours and has had a nice little Army career always emphasized this - the guy who survives is the guy that takes that half a heartbeat when shit is going crazy to simply take stock of what is happening before he acts.

Nobody ever took a half a heartbeat to take a deep breath and move forward from there. Everyone was just racing to take the next wild swing and in the process we missed an invaluable opportunity to formulate a long-term plan. And we may have cut off our noses to spite our faces if all we've done in those areas is leave a large carrier population who will still be there to be part of the next spike in cases if we try to open things back up.

This attempt to force a top down approach across the board on everyone was simply a failure on several levels.
I'm hopeful that the quicker we shut everything down, the quicker we're gonna be to opening it back up again. If you follow Dr Gottlieb he has some good info on it.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 09:21 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Eat a dick all you Debbie Downers

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-early-arizona
I've been thinking this is likely the solution for sports near term--complete sequestration of teams and associated personnel. Will players be willing to separate from families for that long? Also requires frequent rapid results testing. Interesting to see they think the capacity for that will be there that soon.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:21 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Step away from this, you are too emotional about all this. Anytime someone disagrees with you, you make up positions they are not even making. To argue with them.

You admit over and over you don’t know enough about this or that subject, but you still make comments on them. You admit you have overreacted, but then double down on it.

You admitted you didn’t read DJs posts, but then continued to argue with him about what he was saying.

Step away for a day, relax, quit getting so emotional about it. Emotion is fine but when it causes you to repeatedly step on your dick, it’s doing you no good.
No doubt you right I've definitely made some mistakes while posting in here and overreacted at times. But DJ has constantly insulted me and I do have a right to defend myself. I probably took it a little too far but it is what it is. I'm not perfect.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:22 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Overkill is a common approach in medicine , (resection/chemo/radiation) might not always be needed in some situations but I would choose overkill every time.

I have seen people choose total bilateral mastectomy because they tested positive for the breast cancer gene only and I have see a lot of people die because they choose a lumpectomy instead of mastectomy .
And now I'm repeating myself.

The insistence on viewing this strictly as a medical question when there are sociological, psychological and yes, economic considerations in play is what's creating half-cocked decisions.

This isn't something that can be addressed as a strictly medical question because for the overwhelming majority of Americans, it will have very little medical impact on them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:24 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm hopeful that the quicker we shut everything down, the quicker we're gonna be to opening it back up again. If you follow Dr Gottlieb he has some good info on it.
If we can open back up and stay open, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

But man, I just don't see that as possible. This is going to need to be rolled in slowly and likely rolled back out again at least once or twice.

And we're simply no closer to prepared for that from a decision lens standpoint than we were a month ago.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:24 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Sports without fans will suck absolute monkey nuts...especially baseball all played in Arizona. Not buying the "better than nothing!" The crowds are the difference makers to me.
A significant number of college football bowl games now are essentially just made for TV events for ESPN with very sparse fan attendance.

Does anyone care? No

People still watch on TV, bettors still bet, etc.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:24 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
It makes you wonder, if this thing fizzles out pretty quick and in general it looks like an overreaction, how is that going to affect people's actions the next time a bug hits in 2 years? Obviously we SHOULD be better prepared for the next one.

You said a million times we wouldn't come close to 5k deaths so yeah...
[Reply]
O.city 09:25 AM 04-07-2020
It isn't.

But like O.City and others said (using the mighty power of 'hindsight', I guess) - people aren't going to just sit inside for months. It was never realistic. A complete lockdown of indefinite duration had the staying power of a fart in a hurricane.

Yes, people are going back out. They were ALWAYS going to go back out. Which was why a staggered and measured approach was always preferable in areas where it was feasible.

So, y'know, 80% of the country.

The heavy-handed and poorly-tailored response to this will create significant problems as we progress. And the public response will be less and less robust. And in the end, we'll be as bad or worse off for it and over a much longer timeline.
We'll see. As we've gotten more info, i'm hopeful that it won't be.

I just got off the phone with a buddy that i went to dental school with who's been in an oral surgery residency (seriously 6 more years after we graduated dental school in 14, so he did 4 of college, 4 of dental school, 6 more of an oral surgery residency that has included basically med school, fuck that noise) who's currently in Dallas at the hospital they took JFK to. He's had some interactions with this stuff. He had a co resident get it and has been in ICU but is out now improving.

He's tight with one of the big infectious disease doc's at the hospital. He thinks we're getting new info that there are some things with this we just didn't know before that will be helpful. He couldn't really go into any more on that, but maybe I'll hear later.
[Reply]
O.city 09:26 AM 04-07-2020
If we can open back up and stay open, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

But man, I just don't see that as possible. This is going to need to be rolled in slowly and likely rolled back out again at least once or twice.

And we're simply no closer to prepared for that from a decision lens standpoint than we were a month ago.
Maybe. But go read his thread first. I think we got caught with our pants down here on this thing. It won't happen again.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:29 AM 04-07-2020
This thread has done at least one thing good for me....

Extra Toasty Cheeze-it’s are fucking amazing.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:29 AM 04-07-2020
Can anyone tell me the percentage of positive tests ? I thought I had read in here that is was less than 10%, but I may be misremembering.
[Reply]
O.city 09:29 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
This thread has done at least one thing good for me....

Extra Toasty Cheeze-it’s are ****ing amazing.
Fuck you you POS.
[Reply]
Page 1183 of 3903
« First < 18368310831133117311791180118111821183 118411851186118711931233128316832183 > Last »
Up