ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3167 of 3903
« First < 2167266730673117315731633164316531663167 31683169317031713177321732673667 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 01:21 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
You know that is not correct, so why are you saying it again?
Recently published data from a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) finds that 70.6% of COVID-19-positive patients report “always” wearing a mask, 14.4% report “often” wearing a mask, and 3.9% report “never” wearing a mask (See Table: Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset.).

The study compared case patients who tested positive (154) and control patients who tested negative (160).
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:22 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
In an attempt to steer the conversation in another direction...

My company has all of us back in the office as of this week. We're all required to wear masks, etc.

I share a rather large office with one other co-worker.

Any precautions we can take to help mitigate the possible spread? We have a giant window, but it doesn't open. I have a fan running in an attempt to keep air moving around. Any other ideas?
Get a new job.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:22 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
You’re vastly inflating the meth factor.

Governmental distrust plays a huge role.

https://www.ksmu.org/post/covid-19-s...ences#stream/0
Here, in my area, I'm certainly not. I deal with recovering addicts on a daily basis.

I know plenty of "rugged individualists" here and almost all of them are wearing masks, even if they don't agree with it. Around here, we actually do things that might benefit someone other than ourselves, even if it's an incovenience to us personally.
[Reply]
Donger 01:23 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Recently published data from a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) finds that 70.6% of COVID-19-positive patients report “always” wearing a mask, 14.4% report “often” wearing a mask, and 3.9% report “never” wearing a mask (See Table: Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset.).

The study compared case patients who tested positive (154) and control patients who tested negative (160).
Please stop doing it:

A recent @CDCMMWR looking at exposures among people w/ and w/o #COVID19 also assessed rates of mask use. However, the interpretation that more mask-wearers are getting infected compared to non-mask wearers is incorrect. https://t.co/8PtI7W6KG5

— CDC (@CDCgov) October 14, 2020

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN2741WF
[Reply]
TLO 01:23 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Get a new job.
Nope
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:26 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
In an attempt to steer the conversation in another direction...

My company has all of us back in the office as of this week. We're all required to wear masks, etc.

I share a rather large office with one other co-worker.

Any precautions we can take to help mitigate the possible spread? We have a giant window, but it doesn't open. I have a fan running in an attempt to keep air moving around. Any other ideas?
They won't allow you to continue to work from home?
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:26 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I lived around these people most of my life so it doesn't surprise me. They think you are infringing on their freedoms and they get that message from the top. They just can't wrap their head around the fact that it is not so much that they can get it (which we obviously don't want) but them getting it and then spreading it to 4-5 other people, and they spread it to 4-5 people and on and on. They want to make it all about them but this isn't just affecting them.
I think I've mentioned this before, but I really believe that much of the reason for resistance - whether it's stated as political or lack of risk or whatever - is rooted in a simple resistance to change. A large proportion of people absolutely hate change of any type. It's logical and I think we're all that way to some extent. If you like your life in general, you don't want it to change. But sometimes we have to change and there's a pretty big subset of people who just can't handle it.

As a case in point, one of my hometown friends (rural area) owns a small restaurant. Her position on masks is that "it should be a choice. If you want to wear it, fine. If I don't, fine. Don't tell me what to do."

Well, first off, that's not how a pandemic works, but let's set that aside.

This is a nice, law-abiding person. I have nothing bad to say about her in terms of intelligence or morals or ethics. But I hear her say that, and I think, "WTF? You have health inspectors come into your restaurant regularly to ensure that you're following the law to protect others. You charge sales taxes and pass them on to the government. You pay to license your car You follow all sorts of societal rules and have no issue with them. So why is wearing a mask different than that?"

The only thing I can see is that she grew up doing all of those other things. She never had to adopt them because they were always the system. Now something new has entered the system and it disrupts her normalcy. She doesn't like it.

I really think that a major strength of America is that we as a country have change built into our society. But it also causes stress because we as people tend to dislike change.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:27 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Please stop doing it:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN2741WF
Poor Donger......
[Reply]
TLO 01:29 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
They won't allow you to continue to work from home?
Nope. We're all back in the office this week. 4 out of the 10 people in the office have had confirmed covid infections over the past 8 months.
[Reply]
prhom 01:29 PM 11-20-2020
Ask your government. But the fact is, it is what it is. Why isn't really relevant at this point.
It's a privilege because the exercise of that privilege requires a certain competency to be done in a manner that doesn't cause undue harm to others. My point is that one person's freedom and rights stop when the exercise of that freedom restricts the freedom of another. For example, it doesn't bother me if someone not wearing a mask gets COVID and they are fine with it. Great for them. It does bother me when someone refuses to wear a mask when it might help reduce the spread of something that might kill someone with the right risk factors.

When the impact of a choice goes beyond impacts to your own person, it's not a matter of personal freedom anymore.
[Reply]
Pants 01:35 PM 11-20-2020
the mask\anti-mask argument is old.

There are people that won't wear a mask for various reason, mostly political.

There are people who swear by masks because they have to feel safe even if they may not be as safe as they feel.

Fair enough.

My problem is when you hear things like "you wear the mask to protect others from you, not you from others. Then you hear "well, it also protects you from others" which ironically negates the former to a degree.

Then the real fun starts.

85% of cases were people who wore masks most or all of the time. But how can that be? They wore masks!

You didn't wear them right.
You wore them but touched them.
You wore the wrong kind.

It's a convenient excuse to just blame the lack of masks when the reality is more people across the globe are wearing masks now than they were 5 months ago and we have a huge surge in cases.

Might be more to it than just masks.
What that study doesn't show is how many people who were wearing masks were exposed to the virus and did NOT get infected. Nobody is claiming that masks work 100% of the time.

In how many fatal car accidents were the victims wearing a seatbelt? It's not a good metric because it doesn't take into account the other accidents where the seatbelt prevented a death.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:52 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I think I've mentioned this before, but I really believe that much of the reason for resistance - whether it's stated as political or lack of risk or whatever - is rooted in a simple resistance to change. A large proportion of people absolutely hate change of any type. It's logical and I think we're all that way to some extent. If you like your life in general, you don't want it to change. But sometimes we have to change and there's a pretty big subset of people who just can't handle it.

As a case in point, one of my hometown friends (rural area) owns a small restaurant. Her position on masks is that "it should be a choice. If you want to wear it, fine. If I don't, fine. Don't tell me what to do."

Well, first off, that's not how a pandemic works, but let's set that aside.

This is a nice, law-abiding person. I have nothing bad to say about her in terms of intelligence or morals or ethics. But I hear her say that, and I think, "WTF? You have health inspectors come into your restaurant regularly to ensure that you're following the law to protect others. You charge sales taxes and pass them on to the government. You pay to license your car You follow all sorts of societal rules and have no issue with them. So why is wearing a mask different than that?"

The only thing I can see is that she grew up doing all of those other things. She never had to adopt them because they were always the system. Now something new has entered the system and it disrupts her normalcy. She doesn't like it.

I really think that a major strength of America is that we as a country have change built into our society. But it also causes stress because we as people tend to dislike change.
I remember your post about that and I responded that yes I agree with that mostly but some of it is definitely political. That is all I can say here lol.

In regards to your friend, yeah that is pretty typical here. I stopped trying to figure out why people oppose basic public health measures. And I want to be clear if for example the doctor's office mandates masks they will wear them or get kicked out but if it is half assed like Walmart's policy is then they won't.
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:52 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Outside of the tone, which aspects of his post do you disagree with?
  • Mask usage is lower in rural areas than urban areas.
  • People in rural areas are less likely to believe that COVID is a problem at all.
  • Rural areas are being hit disproportionately hard by COVID in the past month.
  • Educational attainment is much lower in rural areas than in urban areas.

I've seen multiple viral posts like this from nurses in N and S Dakota and Iowa. By contrast anyone who participates in this thread is much much higher info. - they at least know the whole thing isn't a giant hoax. Well almost all.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:05 PM 11-20-2020
"This in no way means that Doering’s account is untrue. But it provides, at minimum, some important context that was completely absent from the CNN interview and from all the media amplification that followed. Little or no effort was made to assess the scope of the problem that Doering so memorably described. How many Covid-19 patients in South Dakota are really so blinkered by disinformation that they're enraged at their caregivers and, in their final moments on earth, still dispute what’s happening? No one bothered to find out.

In July we heard reports of rampant “Covid parties.” One version of this story had college students in Tuscaloosa hosting parties with infected guests, and then betting on who else would catch the virus. Another took the form of a second-hand account from a nurse in San Antonio. A 30-year-old patient was said to have admitted just before he died that he’d gotten sick by going to a Covid party. “I thought it was a hoax,” he allegedly told the nurse, “but it’s not.”

As WIRED’s Gilad Edelman reported at the time, none of these accounts held up to further scrutiny—yet each had been picked up from its original source and then amplified by larger publications that added little or no additional reporting. There’s good reason for these stories to be passed along, Edelman wrote. The hospital administrator who first went public with the story of the last-breath Covid-party confession is “trying desperately to get the American public to take the coronavirus seriously. If she hears a perfect cautionary tale, it isn’t necessarily her responsibility to investigate whether it’s too perfect before passing it along. It is, however, precisely the job of reporters.”

Doering’s account is similarly a perfect fit for a narrative that has already been written, and one that has been passed along by respected people and prestigious outlets with scarcely any diligence at all."

[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:07 PM 11-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

I've seen multiple viral posts like this from nurses in N and S Dakota and Iowa. By contrast anyone who participates in this thread is much much higher info. - they at least know the whole thing isn't a giant hoax. Well almost all.
Wish you hadn't brought this in here

[Reply]
Page 3167 of 3903
« First < 2167266730673117315731633164316531663167 31683169317031713177321732673667 > Last »
Up