ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3077 of 3903
« First < 2077257729773027306730733074307530763077 30783079308030813087312731773577 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 07:52 PM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This is going to be a dark winter.
I don't think people have any idea. Look at Wisconsin. Hit 6000 cases for the first time yesterday. Then without any hesitation hit 7000 for the first time today. Just getting to numbers so large it'll be impossible not to have a fair number of hospitalizations and deaths.

You're already seeing the train coming down the tracks in places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc... as the cold weather filters it's way down it's just going to get worse.
[Reply]
TLO 08:33 PM 11-07-2020
A preview of what America will look like if a lockdown is ordered.

BREAKING - Massive protests underway in #Leipzig (Germany) opposing the new #COVID19 lockdown.pic.twitter.com/ahYSecCyHI

— Disclose.tv �� (@disclosetv) November 7, 2020

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:01 PM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:

So from what I've gleaned in some small experiences with Germans and what I've come across online, the Cold War partition of the country was just long enough to create sociological differences between your average East and West German.

There's a reason this demonstration is in what was East Germany and not West.
[Reply]
tk13 09:29 PM 11-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:

Eh I highly doubt it. I don't think there'll be a lockdown unless this thing looks so ugly that there's no choice and it's already become abundantly clear that the economy is tanking. I do fully think there'll be travel restrictions. But in general Americans have very little concept of being able to project the future. By the time we take a step like some of the European countries have, it will be abundantly clear there's a serious problem and likely already too late.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:01 AM 11-08-2020
Anyone discussing lockdown should first define what they mean by lockdown. For some it seems to mean having to wear masks and not being able to go to sporting events. For some it means China-style where you can leave your house for 1 hour/week to go grocery shopping. And then everything in between for others.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:15 AM 11-08-2020
Anyone discussing lockdown should first define what they mean by lockdown. For some it seems to mean having to wear masks and not being able to go to sporting events. For some it means China-style where you can leave your house for 1 hour/week to go grocery shopping. And then everything in between for others.
Mask mandates are not lockdowns and illegal on a federal level anyways. Forcing businesses to close and limit where people go and for how long is locking them down.
[Reply]
O.city 07:28 AM 11-08-2020
There’s no lockdowns left. Unless shit just really goes off the rails, we know what we’re doing now can somewhat control things to a level that’s manageable.

Hospitalizations and deaths are going back up which was probably inevitable but we’re close to vaccines I’d think so just gonna have to tough out the next 3/4 months
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:43 AM 11-08-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There’s no lockdowns left. Unless shit just really goes off the rails, we know what we’re doing now can somewhat control things to a level that’s manageable.

Hospitalizations and deaths are going back up which was probably inevitable but we’re close to vaccines I’d think so just gonna have to tough out the next 3/4 months
Fortuitous timetable. . .
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:51 AM 11-08-2020
Dr. Fauci confirms long hauler covid symptoms. I hope here in the next few months we will get more answers on what is causing this since there is a few studies going on now.

Originally Posted by :
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the United States government's top infectious disease expert, said lingering Covid-19 symptoms last much longer than those from other viral syndromes like influenza.

Between 25% and 35% of Covid-19 patients have lingering symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, muscle aches, sleep disturbances and “brain fog.”

"“We do know for absolutely certain that there is a post Covid-19 syndrome -- referred to sometimes as long Covid, chronic Covid, long haulers. It’s got different names," Fauci said on Saturday during an event with the American Medical Association."

It's unclear exactly how long symptoms can last, as the virus was discovered less than a year ago, but Fauci said symptoms have been observed for months after an initial infection.

[Reply]
O.city 07:54 AM 11-08-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Fortuitous timetable. . .
The winter months are usually pretty tough for corona virus infections so I’m guessing this one follows the same lines. Hopefully we get a vaccine mass distributed by feb/March but that may be too quick of a timeline.

Very hopeful I’m wrong on the next couple months sucking. We shall see
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:58 AM 11-08-2020
Yep and at least here in the US hard down lockdown won't happen but it is happening in Europe.

We already seeing in the US though curfews implemented and soon restaurants\bars will be closed in the hard hit areas.

Just look at what is happening in South Texas.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:56 AM 11-08-2020

People just need to take it seriously and be responsible and just be reasonable when it comes to social gatherings even with family and wear masks indoors , the same things experts have been saying from the start and you should not need lockdowns and hospitals should be able to manage, you still might have to scale Bck in some hard hit locations temporarily .
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:52 AM 11-08-2020
Nursing homes in our area were told to prepare for widespread vaccinations by early December. So that would be good news

One of the homes in ozark I believe had like 34 deaths. Terrible
My mother-in-law lives in Golden City/Lamar area. Her long time friend from High school's family has been hit hard by Covid. She died yesterday. One of her sons thought covid was a hoax. The whole side of his family has covid. Spread to 43 cases and 3 deaths so far and he will die soon.

My brother is in Rogersville. He knows of a family that thought it was a hoax or overblown. 24 hospitalizations and 12 deaths so far.

I think we need to do some education in the rural areas of America. We can save lives.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:04 AM 11-08-2020
This is article is personal for me and this nurse quoted in this article works with my daughter. My daughter is struggling with PTSD from the first wave with all the death she had to deal with but is doing it all again and is preparing for the worst that is starting.

I know alot of people have covid fatigue and see these death numbers and have become numb to it. So I think it is time for the media to embed with hospitals and show what it is like to suffer and die with covid much like what they do when we go to war. I think people would instantly change their behavior.

Anyway, keep all of our front line health care workers in your thoughts as they are going to need major mental health care once this is all done with.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coro...ainstage_card3

Originally Posted by :
‘With this, I’ve lost count:’ As COVID surges in KC, health workers, families struggle

Nathan Jones wishes people could witness what he’s seen: Patients who arrive struggling to breathe. Patients sedated and intubated, relying on a machine to push oxygen into their inflamed lungs.

“It used to be you could count or remember the people that you’ve coded (lost), and their story,” said Jones, 31, a nurse who worked at AdventHealth Shawnee Mission and will be starting at Saint Luke’s.

“With this, I’ve lost count.”

COVID-19 killed eight people, on average, every day in metropolitan Kansas City last week. Two days in a row, more than 1,000 new cases were reported, with 5,100 total added last week. The University of Kansas Health System was hit with a record number of virus patients. Physicians voiced their concerns to elected officials during a call Friday.

The third wave appears to be the worst yet. Infection is crossing all categories of age and health. Last weekend, a 13-year-old Missouri boy died of complications from the coronavirus. Other young people are suffering strokes. Patients who contracted the virus months ago still can’t breathe without supplemental oxygen.

Jones is astounded that countless Kansas Citians continue to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic or are tired of taking the steps necessary to flatten the curve. Local elected officials have failed to lead, he said.

Frontline workers

One of the most difficult parts for Jones, the ICU nurse, is post-mortem care, which requires wrapping the deceased’s head with gauze to contain any virus particles.

“Every time we do it — it takes two people — one of us always mentions how much we hate it,” he said.

Some health care employees that Jones knows have relied on therapy, others have started taking antidepressants. Some have burned out, mentally and physically, and left the field.

“It comes in waves. If you have a good week where you don’t have a lot of passing or you get a break from COVID, you start to feel a little bit more like yourself,” he said. “If you have a week of COVID and you don’t have success and you get a bunch of deaths, you definitely start to feel it.”

Zoe Schmidt, a nurse at Research Medical Center, said she feels hopeless as cases rise, seemingly unabated.

She’s disappointed in her public officials, who have failed to institute statewide mask mandates or local lock downs as the situation worsens. And in her hospital’s administrators, who she feels aren’t providing adequate protection or support to staff.

With all that, she said, “there’s no end in sight.”

“Everything keeps rising and we’re losing staff and we’re already so understaffed and we’re already really burnt out and tired and scared and we keep getting sick,” Schmidt, 24, said.

She said more than 200 nurses have quit at Research since April. Many of those who remain are seeking therapy or counseling because of the trauma they’ve witnessed and endured.

Many, she said, have contracted the virus themselves and are scared of bringing it home to their friends and family.

In April, a nurse at Research Medical center died after contracting the virus. Schmidt said she’s worried there will be more.

“A lot of us are dealing with a strong emotional impact when we don’t really have as much of as support system as we’re used to,” she said.

COVID-19 patients, she said, aren’t able to see their family so hospital workers are their main source of support. This is more difficult, Schmidt said, because they don’t know enough about the virus to reassure patients that it will be okay.

She’s seen young people have strokes after contracting the virus and patients months after catching the virus who still need oxygen. She can’t tell these patients whether it will ever get better.

“It’s scary for them, and it’s scary for us,” she said.

“There are stories that haunt us all but we can’t talk about them publicly,” she said. “People of all backgrounds and races and ages are getting really sick and dying.”

[Reply]
TLO 10:44 AM 11-08-2020
Our hospital reached its highest number of inpatients today.
[Reply]
Page 3077 of 3903
« First < 2077257729773027306730733074307530763077 30783079308030813087312731773577 > Last »
Up