ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 15
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Mitchell Schwartz has surgery
siberian khatru 10:10 AM 02-24-2021

Injury Update: I’m getting surgery today. I was hoping to recover enough to get back for playoffs/Super Bowl but that didn’t happen. It’s time to address the issue. The recovery process isn’t too long, which is nice. Looking forward to a healthy 2021! #Chiefs #ChiefsKingdom pic.twitter.com/etGfSoCCd6

— Mitchell Schwartz (@MitchSchwartz71) February 24, 2021

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:20 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
First off they can’t restructure Mathieu, they can only extend him. And second off the last thing I want is to keep pushing more and more of Mahomes money down the line. However since it’s his fifth year option this year I believe that salary is locked into place
So yeah, I use the wrong word.

Not only CAN they extend Matthieu, they WILL. It might be the first thing they do this offseason.

Second, Mahomes' contract was structure the way it was initially to do exactly that - move money around to allow the team to be active around him, so you better get used to that happening.

Finally, they can realize more cap savings by extending Fisher and Schwartz 3 years than they can by cutting them. Not much, but cutting both of them was never Option A so people hoping for that are getting their hopes up for nothing.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:21 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Haven’t you learned yet?

KC could have 50m in “cap space” if they want/need it.

As of the new year, we don’t have a center and we’re soft up the middle. If Linsley becomes available, I expect Veach to make him the highest paid center in the nfl.

Veach will do whatever he wants this offseason.

Not sure I’d go that far.

Fisher, Schwartz and LDT are all going into the last year of their contracts snd Reiter is also a free agent as soon as the new league year starts.

We should probably expect them to draft 2-3OL and 1 of them will be drafted early.
They're not going to draft 3 offensive linemen in one draft.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:22 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They're not going to draft 3 offensive linemen in one draft.
Just find me a legit young center!
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:22 PM 02-24-2021
So hopefully to start the year...

LT Niang
LG Allegreti
C Linsley
RG LDT
RT Schwartz

By mid season

LT Fisher
LG Niang
C Linsley
RG LDT
RT Schwartz

Or something like that
Again, Reid has never started an LT that hasn't had at least one year of experience in the NFL.
Niang has never played on the left side of the OL in college. Why do you think he can make that switch at all let alone straight out to LT?
[Reply]
PHOG 12:23 PM 02-24-2021
Great to hear Mitch. See you next year for another run.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:24 PM 02-24-2021
I expect Veach to make him the highest paid center in the nfl.
:-)
Yeah, that is the reason they let Hudson and Morse walk. They are not going to make a Center the highest paid in the league.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:25 PM 02-24-2021
If NFL teams aren't allowed to have a "normal" offseason, I highly doubt the Chiefs will have a single rookie starting on the offensive line in Week 1, unless of course it's due to injury.

Niang won't have played football for nearly 2 years so without a true offseason, I just can't foresee him as a starter Week 1, especially at left tackle, unless the Chiefs just decide they can't compete in 2021, which I find to be highly unlikely.
[Reply]
In58men 12:26 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by bobhill:
What kind of surgery?
4 disc replacements and spinal transplant. 3 weeks recovery time.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:35 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
:-)
Yeah, that is the reason they let Hudson and Morse walk. They are not going to make a Center the highest paid in the league.
Morse was a big medical risk due to multiple concussions and Hudson wasn’t their guy when they got here.

Linsley is the best center in football and has no weaknesses.

If they think Fisher and Schwartz are going to be around the next couple years, upgrading from Reiter to Linsley makes a lot of sense.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:38 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If NFL teams aren't allowed to have a "normal" offseason, I highly doubt the Chiefs will have a single rookie starting on the offensive line in Week 1, unless of course it's due to injury.

Niang won't have played football for nearly 2 years so without a true offseason, I just can't foresee him as a starter Week 1, especially at left tackle, unless the Chiefs just decide they can't compete in 2021, which I find to be highly unlikely.
The plan was to start Niang out at RG and then slide him out to RT after Schwartz is gone.

That was before LDT opted out and Fisher tearing his Achilles.

I think I have a lot more confidence in Niang than most.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:39 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Again, Reid has never started an LT that hasn't had at least one year of experience in the NFL.
Niang has never played on the left side of the OL in college. Why do you think he can make that switch at all let alone straight out to LT?

LT Cam Robinson
LG LDT
C Allegreti
RG Niang
RT Schwartz

by mid season

LT Fisher
LG Cam Robinson
C Allegreti
RG Niang
RT Schwartz
[Reply]
staylor26 12:39 PM 02-24-2021
The plan was to start Niang out at RG and then slide him out to RT after Schwartz is gone.

Same here.

There were two playoff teams starting rookie T’s, and one won the SB. Not to mention Becton and Thomas who also started week 1.

If Niang can come in and look like the guy we saw on tape, there’s no reason he can’t start.
[Reply]
In58men 12:39 PM 02-24-2021
According to his wife’s Instagram story, it’s a spinal procedure.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:45 PM 02-24-2021

There's no doubt that Niang has upside but without rookie minicamps, OTA's, in building workouts and normal minicamps, he's going to be way behind the curve, especially since he won't have played football at a high level in two years.

It's not as if he played at Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or any other SEC or Big Ten school at a high level. The dude played in the Big 12, which is known for shitty defenses.

I just don't see how the Chiefs can pencil in that guy at this point in time as a starter, unless it's due to necessity.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:45 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by In58men:
Holding out for hope because we needed him. Surgery would be definite IR. Either way lose lose. Not a big deal that they waited to me.
This....esp with what looks to be a short recovery time.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 15
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up