ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 24
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Nick Jacobs all 22 breakdown discussion
O.city 11:14 AM 10-01-2019
Figured we could have a thread breaking some stuff down from his films and discuss.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:34 PM 10-21-2019
Niemann is a perfect fit for this defense

Niemann lets the traffic clear. Reads Lindsay coming out of the flats and lays him out after the catch. I love seeing Lindsay yelling at Flacco. #JacobsEyeInTheSky #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/ZjUkWP3xsX

— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) October 21, 2019

[Reply]
Hoover 03:00 PM 10-21-2019
Niemann, a coaches kid, deserves to be a starter for us.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:05 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Niemann, a coaches kid, deserves to be a starter for us.
He played about 50% of the snaps against the Donks. Seems like he took Lee’s spot
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:09 PM 10-21-2019
Niemann basically is a starter

#Chiefs LB Anthony Hitchens played just 48% of the snaps in his TNF return from the groin injury -- 2 fewer snaps than Ben Niemann, 1 fewer than Damien Wilson and just 7 more than Reggie Ragland. #IDPHits pic.twitter.com/maC8z7iFhU

— Matt Schauf (@SchaufDS) October 21, 2019

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:10 PM 10-21-2019
The tackling, man.

The Lions game first made it apparent how tackling can level up a defense so quickly. That 'keep it in front of you' shit just does not work if the first man misses; it's 6 yards every time when that happens, if you're lucky.

So many of these plays suddenly look a lot better when the first guy on the scene makes the play. And a TON of those easy little 8-10 yard pickups in previous weeks came with the first guy just missing and giving the ballcarrier/receiver another 6 yards to stay ahead of the sticks and set up another easy play on the next snap.

That Niemann play is a perfect example of it. If Lindsay shucks him off to the ankles, he has 7 yards by just angling to the sideline and 10 if he can put a shoulder into Sorensen and drive him forward. But by just doing his damn job and finishing the tackle, the Broncos are forced into a bad down/distance situation and things get awfully tough for them.

So much of the failures of this defense of late (and by 'of late' I mean for the last 2+ years) have come from guys just not doing the basic fundamental elements of their job.

I didn't watch this game (client stuff) but the common thread among the wins I've seen is rarely some exotic schematic switch - it's just that the individual players on the defense are doing what they're supposed to be doing. And when that happens, team defense becomes possible and things work a looooot better.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:13 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The tackling, man.

The Lions game first made it apparent how tackling can level up a defense so quickly. That 'keep it in front of you' shit just does not work if the first man misses; it's 6 yards every time when that happens, if you're lucky.

So many of these plays suddenly look a lot better when the first guy on the scene makes the play. And a TON of those easy little 8-10 yard pickups in previous weeks came with the first guy just missing and giving the ballcarrier/receiver another 6 yards to stay ahead of the sticks and set up another easy play on the next snap.

That Niemann play is a perfect example of it. If Lindsay shucks him off to the ankles, he has 7 yards by just angling to the sideline and 10 if he can put a shoulder into Sorensen and drive him forward. But by just doing his damn job and finishing the tackle, the Broncos are forced into a bad down/distance situation and things get awfully tough for them.

So much of the failures of this defense of late (and by 'of late' I mean for the last 2+ years) have come from guys just not doing the basic fundamental elements of their job.

I didn't watch this game (client stuff) but the common thread among the wins I've seen is rarely some exotic schematic switch - it's just that the individual players on the defense are doing what they're supposed to be doing. And when that happens, team defense becomes possible and things work a looooot better.
HB said the exact same thing after the Colts loss. He knew we had the talent. It’s just about doing your job. Not everyone has to make the big play. I worry when Jones comes back he will go back to the Me first Jones. If Jones can prove that he can do his job and assignment I pay him. If he proves he just wants to make the big play all the time and abandon his assignment he walks
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:14 PM 10-21-2019
Ragland needs to be the damn starter!! I dont care if he’s a liability in pass coverage. He is a damn good player vs the run

Ogbah sets up Ragland and they just keep working till one of them gets the sack. #JacobsEyeInTheSky #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/6GrAQhhOZO

— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) October 21, 2019

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 07:42 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Ragland needs to be the damn starter!! I dont care if he’s a liability in pass coverage. He is a damn good player vs the run

Honestly, the Chiefs were really struggling with various stunts, including twists, in previous games vis-a-vis timing. That one looked pretty good, though.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:03 AM 10-30-2019
And THIS is exactly what I've been talking about:

Ragland flows down the line and then lays the wood. #JacobsEyeInTheSky #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/yGwtQJMC97

— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) October 30, 2019

If Ragland had been slow to read that cutback or too aggressive laterally and taken himself out of the gap, this would've been blamed on "{X Coordinator}'s complicated scheme!!!!"

This is textbook flow/fill. Hitchens flows with the blockers, as does Ragland. By flowing, Hitchens pulls the C up and out of the middle and also takes away the B gap. By flowing and filling when the gap opens, Ragland is EXACTLY where he should be when the RB sees the B gap close and he's there to blow the shit out of that play. This is how run defense works, not "see gap, hit gap" - and when it works, it looks awfully simple. Because it is.

And this is exactly what the Chiefs have been trying to get guys to do for 2+ years. It was NEVER complicated - the damn players just wouldn't maintain gap responsibility.

When they do it, it's really friggen hard to run the ball. When they don't, it's really easy.

And there's nothing more complicated to it than that. Run defense is about maintaining your responsibility and your effort level. When we get that from the box players, we'll be just fine.
[Reply]
O.city 08:18 AM 10-30-2019

One of those times where I wonder what Williams is seeing because a lot of running backs wish they had that massive of a cutback lane. #JacobsEyeInTheSky #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/xuCNmO8ZUb

— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) October 30, 2019

This is why Shady gets more snaps. RB is all about vision.
[Reply]
bowener 08:52 AM 10-30-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:

This is why Shady gets more snaps. RB is all about vision.
Man, prime Jamal would have gained 20 yards at minimum with that hole.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:21 PM 10-30-2019
Shady would've gotten at least 7-10 yards out of that. More if he could the first guy miss, and he is pretty good about that.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:27 PM 10-30-2019
It's too bad Ragland can't cover.

As soon as coordinators adjust he's going to need to play less snaps.

Damn fine thumper, though.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:33 PM 10-30-2019
Ragland can’t be any worse than Hitchens in coverage
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:43 PM 10-30-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Ragland can’t be any worse than Hitchens in coverage
Actually, he can. Ragland's lateral/top speed just isn't anything close to fast enough to cover 90% of the RBs in the league. Hitchens is faster, but he's not going to cover a guy like 33 downfield.

In his defense, there might be 10 LBs in the NFL that could cover that guy. Maybe less.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 24
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up