ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Will Mahomes become the first player to sign a contract based on %'ages?
Nickhead 11:38 PM 02-08-2019
I have postulated he could be the first player to do so.

With the number of contracts for qb's settled for the next five years (top ten qb's), or players not in their prime enough to justify it....

Will Mahomes be the first NFL player to get a percentage of the salary cap as payment?

Is there any other player that could possibly do so before hand. Or is this model too outside the box?

:-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:39 PM 02-09-2019
Is it just a Midwest thing to hope Pat agrees to a discount?

He is perhaps the most deserving player in our franchise’s history of a mega extension, it’s not the time to go cheap or even hope for that.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:55 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:

He is perhaps the most deserving player in our franchise history of a mega extension, it’s not the time to go cheap or even expect that.
Your fans are probably feeling burned with the likes of Houston and Berry. People are insane if they think Mahomes is doing a discount when guys like Mayfield, Trubisky, Goff, and Wentz are doubling his salary at the moment.

Maybe they can do some stuff under the table like Kraft and Brady. Either way he's going to demand huge money from Clark Hunt, whether it's officially on the books in the salary cap or not.
[Reply]
MahiMike 01:55 PM 02-09-2019
Interesting idea
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:59 PM 02-09-2019

He is perhaps the most deserving player in our franchise history of a mega extension, it’s not the time to go cheap or even expect that.
Its more of people thinking Tom Brady restructured his contract once for Randy Moss and took a couple of discounts, but what some seem to forget or maybe not realize is that in 2010 he got a 4 year 72 mil extension and 48.5 mil guaranteed. That deal made him the highest paid player in the league when it comes to average yearly salary.

Also Tom is married to Gisele who was the worlds highest paid model from 2002 to 2016. She made over 30 million in 2016. Her net worth is 360 million and that was at the beginning of last year. Shes now worth 370 million and Tom was worth 180 million in 2018 and is now worth around 200 million. So together theyre worth 570 mil.

Thats why Tom can take the discount and Patrick isnt going to on his first contract. Hes going to take as much as possible, since you never know what can happen with football.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 02:24 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by DRM08:

Maybe they can do some stuff under the table like Kraft and Brady. Either way he's going to demand huge money from Clark Hunt, whether it's officially on the books in the salary cap or not.
Agreed. And I believe they will. That said, it's going to have to be exorbitant in some respect just to keep up appearances and to make the NFLPA happy. I think the NFL is worse shape now because of them. Getting rid of the big rookie contracts has done nothing to help the cap when the salaries expected after that contract have become ridiculous.
[Reply]
stevegroganfan 06:20 PM 02-10-2019
Here are Brady's contract numbers.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engl...cash-earnings/

He really has never had crazy high contracts that he has fully cashed in on at least. I believe a few restructures along the way since the Patriots trust his agent and vice-versa.

The money allotted to players is pretty much the same with and without the rookie cap. Both systems have their inequities.

Present system with some more moderate modifications probably makes most sense. Perhaps 5% more of salaries for each team should be held back each year and awarded based upon combination of playing time in comparison to where a player is picked and awards like MVP and Pro Bowl.

NFL already does this to a minor extent but should do so significantly more and probably leave some money for players whose career are ruined by injuries/heavy use and don't get that good 2nd contract.

Problem with huge guaranteed contracts to start off with is their are too many busts especially at QB position.

Even though I am a Patriots fan, I do think Mahomes should take a substantial discount so a team can be built/kept around him but in return he should seek a 100% guaranteed contract. Perhaps 4 year extension for 95 million but have the entire contract fully guaranteed for everything but death.... It sets him up for life in case he suffers a career threatening Bo Jackson type injury and gives an advantage to Chiefs in team building.

For comparison purposes, "In March 2016, Brady signed a two-year, $41 million extension with more than $28 million in guarantees."

Obviously, cap goes up each year but if I am Mahomes, I really do go sacrifice lots of cash -- 40% of it probably goes in taxes anyways -- to make sure I get the fully guaranteed money. And a very high guarantee in the NFL over just 4 years would probably be unprecedented in the recent history of NFL.

The Chiefs would be idiotic to give him a 6 year 200 million contract fully guaranteed contract given what injuries can do. But 4 years 95 million leaves upside for Chiefs and gives Mahomes security. And time if he is healthy to get a 2nd perhaps even bigger contract.

In order to feel confident about the sacrifice, you gotta be confident in the Chiefs gm to spend the savings wisely but that doesn't mean just on receivers.

He grew up in an affluent family so even though he doesn't have Gisele, he doesn't have to really take care of his parents financially much at all.

And the more Chiefs do well, the more marketable he is off the field. And the more money that goes to other players, the less likely he gets beat up/injured on the field.

If I am a star young running back or linebacker, I say F that if the team ask me to play at a significant discount but as a QB, I'd be willing to do it since I benefit in a disproportionate way from team success.
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:00 AM 08-05-2019
BUMP!

[Reply]
Nickhead 02:51 AM 08-10-2019
im upping the ante :-)

what about percentage of franchise profits :-)

i joke, but the thread is a legit question, even now :-)
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:38 AM 08-10-2019
Oh goofus... You so crazy!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:04 AM 08-10-2019
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
I have postulated he could be the first player to do so.

With the number of contracts for qb's settled for the next five years (top ten qb's), or players not in their prime enough to justify it....

Will Mahomes be the first NFL player to get a percentage of the salary cap as payment?

Is there any other player that could possibly do so before hand. Or is this model too outside the box?

You ask a question and there is no poll?:-)
[Reply]
Nickhead 12:09 AM 01-26-2020
still no poll?

booooooooooooooooooo op! :-)

now with the talk of possibly exempting the qb position (which i think is a bad idea in some ways)...

what happens first...

percentage of cap or exempting the qb from the cap?

inquiring minds want to know :-)
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 01:53 AM 01-26-2020

He is perhaps the most deserving player in our franchise’s history of a mega extension, it’s not the time to go cheap or even hope for that.
He's not taking a fucking discount, nor should he. Other guys should take less to win titles with the best player on the planet.

It should be mandatory nuthooks from a flaming AIDS tree while soaked in antifreeze to even suggest Mahomes take less fucking money.

Get your heads out of your asses. This bad ass mother fucker is about to deliver you a title, and youre thinking he should take less.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:38 AM 01-26-2020
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
He's not taking a fucking discount, nor should he. Other guys should take less to win titles with the best player on the planet.

It should be mandatory nuthooks from a flaming AIDS tree while soaked in antifreeze to even suggest Mahomes take less fucking money.

Get your heads out of your asses. This bad ass mother fucker is about to deliver you a title, and youre thinking he should take less.
you have to realize, mahomes is going to be worth more than brady and giselle combined just in endorsements alone.

i think back to a time when durant signed some ungodly amount with nike? he could have played in the nba for free and still came out on top.

mahomes is going to be the next person to set the bar in any sport let alone just the nfl. :-) :-)
[Reply]
tyecopeland 07:47 AM 01-26-2020
What kind of discount do you think he'd take if it was a 10-15 year deal all guaranteed? Do you think he'd settle for 40 a year if its like 600 fully guaranteed for 15 years?
[Reply]
MahiMike 07:55 AM 01-26-2020
If the NFL would allow this, it would set a new precedent. What better player than Mahomes.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up