ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Will Mahomes become the first player to sign a contract based on %'ages?
Nickhead 11:38 PM 02-08-2019
I have postulated he could be the first player to do so.

With the number of contracts for qb's settled for the next five years (top ten qb's), or players not in their prime enough to justify it....

Will Mahomes be the first NFL player to get a percentage of the salary cap as payment?

Is there any other player that could possibly do so before hand. Or is this model too outside the box?

:-)
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 11:45 PM 02-08-2019
I've said that a long time ago. If you look at average salary cap increases, and figure he is worth ~16% of the cap (current rate for top tier QBs), he could wind up making close to $750M over the course of a career. It is a win-win situation: he is set up for life, and the Chiefs know exactly how much cap room they have to work with each year once you figure in his contract.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:52 PM 02-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
I've said that a long time ago. If you look at average salary cap increases, and figure he is worth ~16% of the cap (current rate for top tier QBs), he could wind up making close to $750M over the course of a career. It is a win-win situation: he is set up for life, and the Chiefs know exactly how much cap room they have to work with each year once you figure in his contract.
Veach said he’s been preparing for this moment before the season even started. He knew that he was worth big bucks
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:11 AM 02-09-2019
Come on Pat, give us a break.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:11 AM 02-09-2019
On Russillos Rknger podcast he had a dude on that suggested that Mahomes won’t be a 200M contract. It’ll be a shorter one that won’t go much after the CBA expires because it’s possible the contracts will be different - perhaps a different level of Contract.

He said the smart agents are looking towards shorter more Guranteed contracts.

Naturally the chiefs get a QB and there will be a work stoppage.
[Reply]
tk13 12:28 AM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
On Russillos Rknger podcast he had a dude on that suggested that Mahomes won’t be a 200M contract. It’ll be a shorter one that won’t go much after the CBA expires because it’s possible the contracts will be different - perhaps a different level of Contract.

The work stoppage will be in 2 years from now, so that wouldn't be surprising. The thought being players will have the opportunity to take a bigger piece of the pie then, although the owners will surely have something to say about that.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:34 AM 02-09-2019

Hell if I was Mahomes I'm pulling a Lebron an. Signing short deals and jumping to whatever team will give me the best deal.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 12:36 AM 02-09-2019
No
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:36 AM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by tk13:
The work stoppage will be in 2 years from now, so that wouldn't be surprising. The thought being players will have the opportunity to take a bigger piece of the pie then, although the owners will surely have something to say about that.
It’s going to be a long one I’m thinking. FFS the players union gave up like 5% for fucking 2 a days IIRC. The owners won’t be so quick to do the same.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:09 AM 02-09-2019
It’s going to be a long one I’m thinking. FFS the players union gave up like 5% for ****ing 2 a days IIRC. The owners won’t be so quick to do the same.
They really fucking hate 2 a days
[Reply]
Indian Chief 02:17 AM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Hell if I was Mahomes I'm pulling a Lebron an. Signing short deals and jumping to whatever team will give me the best deal.
Except in football that doesn't really put you in the best position to succeed. Because it is such a team sport, you will likely have chemistry issues being with new guys every year. And that's on top of possibly learning a new playbook and system.
[Reply]
-King- 02:18 AM 02-09-2019
Was it really easier or better to type %'ages rather than just percentages?
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:39 AM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Except in football that doesn't really put you in the best position to succeed. Because it is such a team sport, you will likely have chemistry issues being with new guys every year. And that's on top of possibly learning a new playbook and system.
I think any team would be willing to change the playbook and system to whatever Patrick wants so that he would come play for them. I know it wouldn't happen though.

The whole shorter contract thing is interesting. If im Mahomes im asking for a Kirk Cousins type contract, keep the same amoung of years, but make it 120 million guaranteed. Then do an extension with 2 years left and progressively make more per year with every extension.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:56 AM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Come on Pat, give us a break.
You don't try to low ball Mahomes. You put on the table the largest contract in the history of the NFL and tell him anything else you need Mr. Mahomes?
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 12:45 PM 02-09-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
You don't try to low ball Mahomes. You put on the table the largest contract in the history of the NFL and tell him anything else you need Mr. Mahomes?
I think you put it out there and pay him what the agent has determined, but also make sure he understands how this is going to make surrounding him with talent much more difficult.
And then, present your options on how you can make him rich while simultaneously keeping him stocked with weapons. I'm not saying that Mahomes would or even should take a "discount", but he does strike me as a young man of character, certainly a team guy, that would be open to listening to some ideas on how everyone could come out a winner if he's willing to work with the organization to make it happen.

Trust me, I want this kid wealthy, healthy, and happy to be a Chief for his entire career. I just think we could and should approach this creatively. And that means not all of the money has to come from the cap/team. As I stated before, the Hunt family has many profitable ventures outside of football.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up