ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Media Center>Biggest Curve Ball Movies
Holladay 11:23 PM 12-30-2019
I am re-watching the Matrix. When it came out in 1999, there were some reviews that I didn't watch. I saw it a few years later, and because I had no clue, when I did watch it, it FLOORED me. Total surprise.

Similar to the 6th sense. Blew me away, again.

What other movies have done that?

Please no spoilers:-)
[Reply]
2bikemike 09:59 AM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Also, primal fear

And lets no forget one of the most famous of all time... The empire strikes back
Ah you posted while I was fumbling with my keyboard!
[Reply]
BigRichard 12:15 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Also, primal fear

And lets no forget one of the most famous of all time... The empire strikes back
PB posted a gif of Darth revealing who he was.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:16 PM 01-07-2020
K-PAX
[Reply]
Groves 08:52 PM 01-08-2020
All you recommenders of “Brazil” are now on recommendation-probation. 1-year.

Turrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:05 PM 01-08-2020
Originally Posted by Groves:

Turrible

Yeah, I don't hate it, hate it. But for all his genius I often find myself on a completely different page from Gilliam's visual style.

Loved the Python years, Fisher King and 12 Monkeys.
Was OK, to blah with Time Bandits.
Left cold by Parnassus, Munchausen, Fear and Loathing and Brazil.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:30 PM 01-08-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Yeah, I don't hate it, hate it. But for all his genius I often find myself on a completely different page from Gilliam's visual style.

Loved the Python years, Fisher King and 12 Monkeys.
Was OK, to blah with Time Bandits.
Left cold by Parnassus, Munchausen, Fear and Loathing and Brazil.
Love Time Bandits and Munchausen.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 12:01 PM 01-09-2020
Did anyone mention "Shattered" with Tom Berenger?

The end in that movie blew me away!
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:24 PM 01-09-2020
The Game, as mentioned before, is my favorite.

What about "Body Double" I remember it having a twisted plot but haven't watched it in years.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 02:47 PM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
The Game, as mentioned before, is my favorite.

What about "Body Double" I remember it having a twisted plot but haven't watched it in years.
The Game I have recorded just the other day, I have to watch it about once a year, it's GREAT!!

Body Double, one of my all time favorites. If you read this and you haven't seen Body Double by Brian DiPalma, make sure you see it this year. DiPalma made BD when he had just finished Dressed to Kill and Blow Out, two really great thrillers and right after Scarface, an in-your-face movie. Not too many dramas have a music video right in the middle of the film.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:04 PM 01-09-2020
I came on here really to post about my favorite curve ball movie, it's Donnie Darko. Unfortunately it was released right after 9/11 in 2001, and being a low budget movie with an unknown Jake Gyllenhaal, it didn't do well at the theaters. However, just like Napolean Dynamite, it became a cult classic later with college kids and when I caught it on HBO, I immediately bought the DVD. I think I've seen it at least 40 times.

If you're a fan of 1988 music, new wave music, then you'll enjoy this even more. Besides an unknown 20 year old Jake Gyllenhaal, it has Drew Barrymore, Mary McDonnell (Major Crimes TV show), Patrick Swayze, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Noah Wylie, Katharine Ross (Butch Cassidy), and unknown Seth Rogen as a school bully.

[Reply]
Megatron96 03:13 PM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Groves:

Turrible

Sorry you didn't like it. Though it's an incredibly complex movie and sometimes it takes a second viewing for some people to really begin to get it.

It is kind of hard to put the label of any one particular genre on the film; it's generally referred to as "dystopian science fiction" (which certainly isn't wrong), but it's also a satire, a drama, a black comedy and perhaps even a fantasy film. Like many other dystopian sci-fi films (e.g. Fahrenheit 451, Equilibrium, The Hunger Games), Brazil depicts a totalitarian society, but that's about as far as the similarities with other films go.

The whole design of Brazil's crazy world is unlike anything I've ever seen in other movies (with the exception perhaps of those made by the same filmmaker).

Where most films with similar themes typically go for a futuristic look that is defined by all the technological advancements the writers and filmmakers can dream of, Terry Gilliam opt to go in the complete opposite direction.

In his film, technology seems to have made no progress since somewhere around the forties or fifties, and what technology there is doesn't exactly look very reliable. And Gilliam is telling us something by depicting technology this way.

And unlike other dystopian films, it's not primarily the bleak aspects of a totalitarian society Gilliam wants to explore; in this film, he wants to show how hilariously insane, inept and ridiculous many of the mechanisms and instruments of oppression truly are. In that sense, Brazil is mainly a satire, and in that perspective extremely ridiculous/hilarious.

If there's a problem with the movie, it might be that it's too layered. there's so much going on visually as well as within the plot/sub-plots it can be very confusing. Which is why I had to watch it multiple times before I understood half (maybe) of what was going on.

One other thing about the movie is that as I get older, the movie has become even darker, and more predictive of the reality that we live in today.

But IMO, the movie is a work of genius written well before its time.
[Reply]
Groves 08:00 PM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Sorry you didn't like it.

But IMO, the movie is a work of genius written well before its time.

Bro I don’t fault you for liking it. To each his own. I’m usually a fan of the satire and while it was cool to see all his digs at the entrenched bureaucracy, the movie as a whole wasn’t keeping our attention. Not because we couldn’t understand the layers, but because it wasn’t written very well.

He can’t please all audiences. Seems quite a few enjoyed it. I couldn’t even make it far enough to see the curveball part. Oh well.

[Reply]
Sannyasi 12:10 AM 01-10-2020
I watched Gone Girl without knowing anything about the story, and had a fantastic experience. I was completely surprised by all of the twists.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:21 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Sannyasi:
I watched Gone Girl without knowing anything about the story, and had a fantastic experience. I was completely surprised by all of the twists.
Me too. I thought it was going to be a simple abduction movie. Wrong-o douche.
[Reply]
BigRock 05:07 AM 01-10-2020
Oldboy. Watch the original, not the shit Spike Lee remake.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up