ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>Biggest Curve Ball Movies
Holladay 11:23 PM 12-30-2019
I am re-watching the Matrix. When it came out in 1999, there were some reviews that I didn't watch. I saw it a few years later, and because I had no clue, when I did watch it, it FLOORED me. Total surprise.

Similar to the 6th sense. Blew me away, again.

What other movies have done that?

Please no spoilers:-)
[Reply]
KS Smitty 11:29 PM 12-30-2019
Se7en, knew something was coming but not that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:44 PM 12-30-2019
Fight Club was great because the twist wasn't just a gimmick, it was the soul of the story. It was foreshadowed without revealing and was revealed for maximum impact.

And while many might have seen it, and it's easy to spot once you know to look for it, I went in blind opening weekend and was so caught up with the surface narrative that the twist just sent the story into hyperdrive.

It wasn't so much a 'holy shit, what happened' moment as it was a 'holy shit, I thought I was enjoying this, when I was just sleepwalking through it' moment.

Me, in the theater, already enjoying myself thoroughly.

via Gfycat

[Reply]
Clyde Frog 12:38 AM 12-31-2019
Adding to the ones already mentioned: Momento, Gone Girl, American Psycho and Life of David Gale
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:20 AM 12-31-2019

[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:06 AM 12-31-2019
From Dusk Til Dawn in a way. Total change-up like halfway through the movie.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:16 AM 12-31-2019
The Fast and The Furious
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:30 AM 12-31-2019
Overlord: starts as a thrilling dday landing for a platoon of paratroopers and turns into an awesome schlocky, body horror nazi kill fest.
[Reply]
scho63 10:33 AM 12-31-2019
Inside Man
[Reply]
notorious 10:35 AM 12-31-2019
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Overlord: starts as a thrilling dday landing for a platoon of paratroopers and turns into an awesome schlocky, body horror nazi kill fest.
This was a cool movie, I went in with zero expectation and left entertained.

Dusk til Dawn is a very good movie until it changes.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:46 AM 12-31-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
From Dusk Til Dawn in a way. Total change-up like halfway through the movie.
Originally Posted by notorious:
This was a cool movie, I went in with zero expectation and left entertained.

Dusk til Dawn is a very good movie until it changes.
There was some for of twist or change in FDtD?

I might have passed out somewhere in that movie

[Reply]
notorious 10:52 AM 12-31-2019
:-), right after that is when the movie crashes into a cliff, Baby Lee.

You made it to the true ending.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:41 AM 12-31-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
:-), right after that is when the movie crashes into a cliff, Baby Lee.

You made it to the true ending.
On a more, . . . scholarly? Serious? Note. I think this movie is the flashpoint where I came to subtly downgrade Robert Rodriguez movies and subtly upgrade Tarantino movies.

I mean, I already loved Tarantino, and I really really enjoyed Desperado, but this one created an unfounded notion in me that, when a movie goes to schlocky shit, that's Rodriguez unleashing his id, and when schlocky shit turns into gold, that's Tarantino rescuing it. Not fair, but it's stuck with me for a while.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:47 PM 12-31-2019
Maybe it’s because I was so young and the content being about dinosaurs that my perception is skewed, but when Jurassic Park came out it seemed like the first movie to expertly integrate robots, computer animation, and people so flawlessly that it seemed like something from the future. Maybe not the exact point of the thread though.

Toy Story I think fits the idea though. Don’t think anyone had any idea what was coming with that one.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:00 PM 12-31-2019
Planet of the Apes (original)

Angel Heart

The Usual Suspects

The Village

The Sixth Sense

Brazil
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up