ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 38
« First < 142021222324 2526272834 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:12 AM 01-07-2020
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
Some things aren't explained on screen, specifically in a family movie like Star Wars. I think in all of Star Wars cannon I can think of a handful of references to a bathroom in general. The fact that you would expect them to flesh out characters sex lives with the exception of necessary plot points like Anakin falling in love with Padame & obviously having sex, but even that was handled carefully..
No, it's just stupid.

The Sith are above the need for flesh, and so are the Jedi.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

It's completely out of character.

The Sith and the Jedi don't need love, ergo, they don't need sex.

It makes them WEAKER.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 11:21 AM 01-07-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
No, it's just stupid.

The Sith are above the need for flesh, and so are the Jedi.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

It's completely out of character.

The Sith and the Jedi don't need love, ergo, they don't need sex.

It makes them WEAKER.
So you think you can't have sex without being in love?

Again, sith code:

"Through passion I gain strength"
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:24 AM 01-07-2020
I love SW threads because the discussions always go places that you could never anticipate.

Someone should photoshop Palps face over, uh, certain pictures of Jerry Jones
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:30 AM 01-07-2020
So you think you can't have sex without being in love?

Again, sith code:

"Through passion I gain strength"
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

It doesn't fit with the character, and there's no precedent for it.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 12:00 PM 01-07-2020
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

It doesn't fit with the character, and there's no precedent for it.
Again, which character does it fit better with? No established Jedi showed signs of betraying the code over a relationship except Anakin. So you either have to make her related to no one, which makes explaining her insane powers hard. Or tie her to some unknown jedi, which would be pretty anticlimactic. The only way they came up with to explain Rey's powers were the force diad thing, which required her to be a Palpatine.

A sith makes the most sense IMO. But again he was cornered in by both his own writing in TFA & what Rian did in TLJ. The biggest issue with this trilogy is that the movies don't work well together. When viewed as a stand alone film they aren't that bad IMO. It's when you start to try to follow the story across the entire trilogy that it really starts to fall apart. Even worse when you try to connect in to the original trilogy.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:09 PM 01-07-2020
Again, which character does it fit better with? .
Non-Jedi. Non-Sith. People who aren't wholly devoted to evil and power.

Make her a fucking nobody and don't make her OP. Make her a fucking clone or something - at least I can buy that.

Or just fuck everything up and become Transformers and throw CGI at the audience and hope they don't notice.

It's just badly written and not believable.

Fuck the ST. Fuck JJ. They made stupid films and shit on established canon that actually made sense. Don't defend them.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 12:41 PM 01-07-2020
Non-Jedi. Non-Sith. People who aren't wholly devoted to evil and power.

Make her a fucking nobody and don't make her OP. Make her a fucking clone or something - at least I can buy that.

Or just fuck everything up and become Transformers and throw CGI at the audience and hope they don't notice.

It's just badly written and not believable.

Fuck the ST. Fuck JJ. They made stupid films and shit on established canon that actually made sense. Don't defend them.
Problem is you're now retconning 2 movies worth of plot. Sure if they could undo what they did in TFA & TLJ we could come up with other believable ways to go. The problem is that wasn't an option. Given where the story was left off in TLJ where would you have gone with it. How would you have explained her parentage in a way that makes sense & is consistent with the characters as they've been shown to us and also explains how Rey seemingly is the most powerful force user we've ever seen with no pedigree or real training of any kind.

And I'm not absolving JJ, he partly set this up in TFA. Then RJ took it a step further in the TLJ until we arrived at a point where crafting a story that made sense for the final chapter was difficult. Hell just as a movie watcher that played a part in my lack of exitement for episode 9 as I myself wondered "where do they go with this for a 9th movie"
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:47 PM 01-07-2020
No, there were plenty of options.

it was just lazy

and stupid

and to be frank, she wasn't that OP until ROS

they went off the fucking deep end for no reason
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:50 PM 01-07-2020
pretty sad when comic book writers are putting JJ to shame

[Reply]
Raiderhater 02:38 PM 01-07-2020
So I was going to say that this whole “do Sith have sex?” argument is one of the nerdiest arguments I have ever encountered. But I’ve always been a little unsure of when to use nerd and when to use geek, so I looked it up and came across this -

Now I’m only more confused. While Star Wars is color coded to geek it clearly rates at about an 8 for both geek AND nerd, placing right in the edge of both definitions. And that is just Star Wars in general, that’s not even taking into account this sub-sub topic of Sith sex drive.

I don’t know if these imaginary characters engage in sexual activities with others or not in this make believe realm but, I’m fairly certain that those arguing about it do not.
:-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:54 PM 01-07-2020
it's been awhile, that's for sure
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 04:57 PM 01-07-2020
No, there were plenty of options.

it was just lazy

and stupid

and to be frank, she wasn't that OP until ROS

they went off the fucking deep end for no reason
I don't know she beats Kylo, who was set up as a force savant (stopping laser blasts mid flight) with no training. Figures out several other force techniques when before she got onto the Falcon she wasn't even sure the force was a real thing. Luke Skywalker says he's only seen power like hers once before. (the other time was the person she beat with no training)

She was set up as very powerful in episodes 7 & 8. It's funny you keep telling everyone not to let JJ off the hook, but you really want to look past all of RJ's contributions to how this thing ended.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:19 PM 01-07-2020
god dammit JJ

[Reply]
Setsuna 06:29 PM 01-07-2020
Ridley is flat as an ironing board isn't she?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:35 PM 01-07-2020
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
Ridley is flat as an ironing board isn't she?
the only thing flatter than her chest is her personality
[Reply]
Page 24 of 38
« First < 142021222324 2526272834 > Last »
Up