ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 33
« First < 222829303132 33 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Alex Okafor [restructured]
ShowtimeSBMVP 03:15 PM 03-14-2019

The #Chiefs are expected to sign former #Saints DE Alex Okafor, source said. He gets a 3-year deal worth up to $24M.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2019

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:10 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Is jabaal sheard still any good?
He's roster quality but with no ceiling left, that's the kind of guy that just hangs out until an injury surfaces. A little like Wisniewski was last year in that regard.

He's better than Speaks and probably no worse than Okafor. But he's mostly a place-holder so there's not gonna be a rush to grab him.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:11 PM 08-10-2020
Breeland Speaks totally isn't gonna make this team.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:12 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Breeland Speaks totally isn't gonna make this team.
:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:13 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I think a narrative got going early on, when Ward struggled with zone responsibility and Breeland came out hot for a few games. At one point Breeland followed number 1s for a game or two. After that i think it became the consensus that Breeland was the guy and ward was the number two, when in reality Breeland is what he is and Ward settled in and has continued to ascend for the most part. If memory serves Ward did have some lapses in the playoffs.
Ward did give up a bad TD in the Houston game and then got beat by Sanders when Grapes overthrew him (at least it was probably Ward; he looked like he may have expected help, IIRC).

But I know that in the Houston and Titans games, I saw Breeland's guy open a TON. Early on in the game, it looked to me like Corey Davis was going to have a field day because he was eviscerating Breeland. And then he just got lost for some weird reason.

Going into the SB I was far more confident in Ward than I was in Breeland and it was largely based on sitting in the stands and watching Breeland let his guy have space seemingly every snap.

Breeland just doesn't stay in his guys pocket as well as Ward. He has better ball skills and his instincts seem a little sharper due to experience (and not being legally blind), but Ward was just a better cover guy overall, IMO.

I'd take Ward over Breeland every time, contract considerations or no.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:15 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
:-)
Where's his spot? I mean he really has to show something because he's at the bottom and frankly it wouldn't stun me if he can't beat out guys like Charlton.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:17 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I didn't think he'd be extension eligible until March 2021 but others have said that since he was an UDFA, he was eligible in March 2020.

I haven't read the entire CBA and have no idea if that's still accurate but I'd imagine that the Chiefs would want to lock him up in a reasonable deal as soon as he's eligible.
2 years for UDFAs 3 years for drafted players.

It would be smart to offer him a 3 year extension that puts a 5-10m signing bonus in his account right now.
[Reply]
O.city 01:18 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
He's roster quality but with no ceiling left, that's the kind of guy that just hangs out until an injury surfaces. A little like Wisniewski was last year in that regard.

He's better than Speaks and probably no worse than Okafor. But he's mostly a place-holder so there's not gonna be a rush to grab him.
Probably so

But holy shit there’s like 20 of those guys available right now. Granted that may be normal and I just haven’t paid attention to it
[Reply]
BossChief 01:19 PM 08-10-2020
I’d bet this is just a move to balance the books for next year.

Anthony Hitchens on line one...
[Reply]
staylor26 01:20 PM 08-10-2020
Where's his spot? I mean he really has to show something because he's at the bottom and frankly it wouldn't stun me if he can't beat out guys like Charlton.
1. He’s a 2nd round pick just now entering year 3.

2. He hasn’t even been given a chance to not be playing out of position.

3. He showed up to camp in the best shape he’s ever been in.

4. He’s versatile and can play inside and out.

5. There’s more roster spots than usual.

He’s not getting cut barring an abysmal TC.
[Reply]
O.city 01:21 PM 08-10-2020
Where did we see speaks come to camp in good shape? I haven’t really paid attention so may have missed rhat
[Reply]
tyecopeland 01:22 PM 08-10-2020
He was going to get cut anyway so makes a lot of sense.
Him taking less this year doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless the team told him he was likely going to get cut before this season started. Coming off injury he gets more with the restructure than he would on the open market. But it's not like teams are going to have a ton of cap to throw at him next year even if he plays great.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:23 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Where did we see speaks come to camp in good shape? I haven’t really paid attention so may have missed rhat
He’s been posting videos of him working out going back a couple months and is clearly in better shape.

So yea, you missed it.

I’m not saying he’s going to breakout now. I just think people like Mecca assuming goes going to be cut are idiots. The guy hasn’t even been given a shot to play a more natural position.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:24 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
1. He’s a 2nd round pick just now entering year 3.

2. He hasn’t even been given a chance to not be playing out of position.

3. He showed up to camp in the best shape he’s ever been in.

4. He’s versatile and can play inside and out.

5. There’s more roster spots than usual.

He’s not getting cut barring an abysmal TC.
I understand your point and think he's more DT in this system since Spags seems to like a taller DE but he's on the edge I mean..

Clark
Okafor
Kpass
Jones
Nnadi
Pennel
Saunders

are all locks and I'd be surprised if Charlton didn't make it and Tim Ward has a body type they like, so it's a tough road.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:27 PM 08-10-2020
I understand your point and think he's more DT in this system since Spags seems to like a taller DE but he's on the edge I mean..

Clark
Okafor
Kpass
Jones
Nnadi
Pennel
Saunders

are all locks and I'd be surprised if Charlton didn't make it and Tim Ward has a body type they like, so it's a tough road.
NFL's a funny league.

Sometimes you really do just miss your window and that's that.

I'd say it's probably 60/40 that he makes the squad but retaining Pennel and Jones did him no favors and he's not a viable replacement for K-Pass next season.

I wouldn't call it a given by any means unless he shows some real burst on the edge.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:29 PM 08-10-2020
Speaks is probably your best bet at interior pass rusher if something happens to Jones.

That’s why I think he makes it.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 33
« First < 222829303132 33 >
Up