ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 416 of 460
« First < 316366406412413414415416 417418419420426 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge***
smittysbar 11:49 AM 05-11-2008
Okay, here is a place for the Golfers to talk about tournaments, clubs, swing help or thoughts.

Today is the Players Championship, which I think ought to be the 5th Major. Largest pot in the PGA. The daunting 17th, which seems to bring excitement every year. At least we will get to see Sergio blow up yet again.

I am ready to see some water balls!
[Reply]
BWillie 03:34 PM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Maybe work on 3 foot putts so you aren't terrible at putting?
No matter how many diff putters, grips, practice I still brick 3 footers ALL the time. Always have. Shit Ill miss 9 inch to 1 foot putts sometimes. It is what it is at this point.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 03:46 PM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
No matter how many diff putters, grips, practice I still brick 3 footers ALL the time. Always have. Shit Ill miss 9 inch to 1 foot putts sometimes. It is what it is at this point.
Chipping and putting are the one area where you can be as good as the pros with enough practice. It’s just a matter of making the commitment.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:20 PM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Chipping and putting are the one area where you can be as good as the pros with enough practice. It’s just a matter of making the commitment.
I completely disagree. I think its quite the opposite, actually.

When I played in a pro am, how the pros hit the ball didn't really surprise me. How they could scramble, chip and putt really surprised me at least in person. Maybe a caddy helps with that a little, I don't know. I dont ever see +3s to 3 handicaps putt and chip like the pros do.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:55 PM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Drive for show. Putt for dough.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 08:22 PM 07-19-2022
I completely disagree. I think its quite the opposite, actually.

When I played in a pro am, how the pros hit the ball didn't really surprise me. How they could scramble, chip and putt really surprised me at least in person. Maybe a caddy helps with that a little, I don't know. I dont ever see +3s to 3 handicaps putt and chip like the pros do.
No, it’s not the opposite. You’ll never hit it as far as DJ or Doucheambeau because you’re not anywhere near the athlete they are and you don’t have the hand/eye coordination.

But putting is all about a repeatable motion, learning to read greens, and lots of practice. That’s it. With enough practice, you could be as good as they are.
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:34 PM 07-19-2022
As illustrated in this thread, you like to bomb the long ball. You don't practice the short game. If you did, you'd get better at it
But in reading, you won't. Pretty simple.
[Reply]
philfree 09:16 PM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
No, it’s not the opposite. You’ll never hit it as far as DJ or Doucheambeau because you’re not anywhere near the athlete they are and you don’t have the hand/eye coordination.

But putting is all about a repeatable motion, learning to read greens, and lots of practice. That’s it. With enough practice, you could be as good as they are.
It's about belief in oneself more than anything. Trust your read and trust yourself. If you don't believe in yourself, you're going to struggle.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:17 PM 07-19-2022
Originally Posted by philfree:
It's about belief in oneself more than anything. Trust your read and trust yourself. If you don't believe in yourself, you're going to struggle.
Well, and not suck
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:37 AM 07-20-2022
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Not a golfer but this sounds like a dumbass idea
Well, it's BWillie, so...
[Reply]
O.city 07:43 AM 07-20-2022
I think putting is similar to accuracy in terms of throwing a football. Yes, you can improve and get better.

But alot of it is innate in terms of feel and creativity. Especially in terms of short game.

Although alot of short game is technique, which most amateurs aren't very skilled with around the greens. Reading lies, playing certain shots etc.
[Reply]
blake5676 07:58 AM 07-20-2022
I don't think some in this thread understand what it's like to watch these guys hit balls. I agree that endless practice could lead to someone becoming an excellent putter and comparable to some pros. There's not as much room for error when you're only taking a club back 6-12 inches. Watching the pros take full swings is completely different. These guys are complete animals.

One of the first times I went to a PGA event in Ft Worth I sat at the range and watched Phil hit balls. It's a nice range, not like the ones most of us hit at. There are targeted greens that are manicured similar to the ones on the course with flags and holes on them. I watched Phil hit 15 straight 6 irons to a green that was about 185. He hit 15 different 6 irons, some low trajectory, some high lofted. He drew a few, faded a few, hit a giant hook on one of them, etc. All 15 practice shots were within 10-15 feet of the flag and he hit the stick with two of them. It's just insane.

Very few people in the world could EVER practice enough to be that talented. I just don't buy it wouldn't be easier to excel at putting than the other 13 clubs in the bag.
[Reply]
O.city 08:13 AM 07-20-2022
The best ball striker I've ever watched hit balls was probably Tiger (obviously). Adam Scott hits a nice tight draw consistently.

Watched David Toms hit wedge shots, was cool to see.

I don't know. The ball striking doesn't blow me away. Maybe I'm used to it, I play in a group with a bunch of dudes that played collegiately at a pretty high level. Their numbers are comparable to tour players.

Once you get to that high level, it's a few shots a round that make the difference. A putt here, etc.

The biggest difference IMO, between tour players and even scratch players is strategy on the golf course.

Decade Golf is something I've been into alot lately, has really helped my game.
[Reply]
philfree 07:47 PM 07-24-2022
Been down to the Florida Pan Handle and we headed home today. We're Staying at the Marriot at Capitol Hill Golf. Capitol Hill Golf is part of the RTJ Golf Trail and it's a 54-hole golf facility. It's pretty awesome. I was just going to play 9 but the lightening stopped me so I only got in 7. I've never played any other courses on the RTJ Golf Trail but I'd like to. One thing for sure is that vacation and the beach with grandkids kills my body. Getting old is hell!
[Reply]
BWillie 08:06 PM 07-24-2022
Has anyone ever been to Bandon Dunes?
[Reply]
philfree 08:32 PM 07-24-2022
Has anyone ever been to Bandon Dunes?
Scotland? No.
[Reply]
Page 416 of 460
« First < 316366406412413414415416 417418419420426 > Last »
Up