ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Patrick Mahomes NFL Cover Letter --- No Lies Told
DTVietnam 11:56 PM 01-20-2020
Im guessing this has been posted at some point before but for those who never read it..grab your kleenex

“Dear NFL Coaches and General Managers,

For months now, I’ve been answering your questions to the best of my ability. Walking you through my game tape, reciting plays back to you and breaking down my decision-making process, from what time I go to bed to what I eat for breakfast every morning.

You’ve watched me run and jump and lift weights and throw the ball as far as I can. You’ve wondered aloud if I can adjust to the speed of the pro game and adapt to the complexity of an NFL offense.

All of those things are important and, for the most part, they all involve football in some way. But they’re still not quite football. They’re not the same as being out there in a game, in the huddle with my team.

Football is under the lights, facing the elements in front of 60,000 people. It’s keeping your guys motivated, whatever the circumstances, and having the determination to bring your team back from seemingly certain defeat in the fourth quarter.

It’s doing everything you can to make a play in the redzone. Sometimes the play breaks down and you have to get creative.

I’m not perfect. But football isn’t always perfect. It doesn’t always go the way you expect. I know that I might not have given the perfect answer for every one of your questions. You saw some mistakes on my tape, and I missed a couple of throws on pro day.

But I hope you noticed that every answer I gave was sincere. And that when I made a mistake on the field, I always held myself accountable. I hope you realized that I can do a lot more than just throw the ball far. I don’t want you to think that a big arm is the only thing that got me here. I’m a football player. And I’m ready to do the job as your quarterback.

The only thing on my mind is helping you win games, whatever it takes. I’ve been thinking about playing in this league since I was a little kid. And now here we are on the eve of the NFL draft.

I’m ready to show the world what I’m capable of.

I grew up watching my dad compete against the best in the world during his career as a major league pitcher. I saw him do that for 11 years. I witnessed firsthand the amount of work it is going to take every day if I want to achieve lasting success in the National Football League.

I saw the focus in my dad’s eyes before every game, and the amount of time he put into his craft, constantly training and trying to figure out opponents. He would grind every day trying to improve at even the smallest things. And if he saw commentators talking about his stats negatively on television, he didn’t let it affect his game. He only used it for one thing: motivation.

Right now, I’m motivated in a similar way. I’ve heard all the pundits raising doubts as to what I can do.

“He plays in the Air Raid offense. Can he take snaps under center? What about audibles?”

“Does he really have the discipline to make it as a quarterback in the NFL?”

Everything that critics want to knock me on, I know I can fix with hard work. I am not a project quarterback. People who say that aren’t really watching my tape. I know that I can make any throw, especially when my team needs a big play.

In three years at Texas Tech, I learned a lot about leading an offense. So much of that has to do with earning respect in the locker room. Leaders set an example for others. I don’t expect to walk in and know everything on the first day of training camp, but I am ready to get started on that process.

Right away you’ll see the type of player I am and, more important, the type of player I want to be in the huddle.

I hope the main thing you noticed when you were looking at my college stats was that I improved in every major category each season. That’s what I’m most proud of. I won’t try to predict the future, but I guarantee you that if there’s one thing I do know, it’s how to get better.

And I know that if I want to walk in and make an immediate impact, my mindset has to be that I have to continue to improve every day, every practice, every snap. I’m determined to do that.

I will not whine or complain during the process. I won’t be a distraction, on or off the field.
I will put in the hours to master your playbook. I won’t stop until I get everything right, down to the smallest detail.

I may make mistakes along the way. And I won’t win every single game I play during my career. I won’t retire with a perfect passer rating or zero career interceptions. But I’ll try as hard as anybody.

I’m ready to start the journey to a championship. And, more than anything else in the world, I’m ready to suit up and play some football. The sooner we can get to it, the better.

Just wait until you see me in the huddle.”
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:33 AM 01-21-2020
Great read. Thanks for posting. I'd give you a rep, but it says I can't until I spread some around.

The kid is spectacular. We are the luckiest fanbase in NFL history. he's the perfect QB, and the perfect face of the franchise. WE are blessed.
[Reply]
rtmike 05:33 AM 01-21-2020
Like it’s been said, Pat is perfect for that city and it’s fans.

I was, “what’s with him rocking his head?”
Then I seen the Wolf character in-front of him and he was mimicking him. So awesome.
A 23 year old kid kicking ass.

I-may have been speechless when I met Clark in Seattle last year, but I’m glad I was able to thank him for drafting a first round qb, lol.
[Reply]
digger 06:54 AM 01-21-2020
whatever it takes.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:12 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by rtmike:
I was, “what’s with him rocking his head?”
Then I seen the Wolf character in-front of him and he was mimicking him. So awesome.
A 23 year old kid kicking ass.
Ha, never thought of that.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:18 AM 01-21-2020
Hope the haters stay away. This kid is real.
[Reply]
wazu 07:22 AM 01-21-2020
I remember this cover letter, loved it then and love it now. How comical is it that Mahomes had to fight off the notion that he would be a "project" QB? Looking at his highlights from Texas Tech it was obvious he had unworldly physical gifts and the ability to read and exploit defenses. Guess it's good for us that there was some kind of stigma for "air raid" QBs. I still can't believe the trade we were able to pull off. I've come around to believing Veach is exactly who we need, but I'll love John Dorsey forever, because that trade and pick happened under his watch.
[Reply]
DRM08 07:38 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Great read. Thanks for posting. I'd give you a rep, but it says I can't until I spread some around.

The kid is spectacular. We are the luckiest fanbase in NFL history. he's the perfect QB, and the perfect face of the franchise. WE are blessed.
Ehhhh...I would say New England is a lot luckier. Tuck rule and Dee Ford offsides are two examples of their luck.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:59 AM 01-21-2020
Op = tldr
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:41 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
He threw for 734 yards in ONE GAME?

https://youtu.be/Tvx8ZHHfj4k
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:46 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Yea all the talking heads today are saying no way he’s 225. Closer to 240 or 245
He said earlier this week that he started last season at 225 and ended at 235 because he didn't have time for conditioning work. His goal this season was to play under that.

In the article on his training regimen his trainer wouldn't say how much he weight, only that he isn't at 235.

So I'd say 225-230 is probably a pretty realistic figure.
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 09:11 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
He threw for 734 yards in ONE GAME?
BuT hE lOsT tHe GaMe

[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:27 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Ehhhh...I would say New England is a lot luckier. Tuck rule and Dee Ford offsides are two examples of their luck.
You forgot Pete Carroll's worst play call EVER on the goal line:-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:29 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:

He's trolling Watson so hard
Nailed It !!:-)
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:34 AM 01-21-2020
On top of the high character and honest self-evaluation, the 2 biggest themes I pull from this letter is the passion for the game and huge confidence in himself.:-)
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:12 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:

He's trolling Watson so hard
why was it a troll?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up