ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Disney announces 100% focus on streaming. The death of movie theaters?
lawrenceRaider 01:05 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
AMC saying they are going to run out of money by the end of the year

https://www.kmbc.com/article/amc-the...vOUzaRwxfNNZB8
Love AMC theaters. Had one about a mile from my house in Texas, and they opened one here in Wichita shortly after we moved back up here. Everything about them is first rate.

That to say that it will be a big loss if they do indeed go down.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:22 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Love AMC theaters. Had one about a mile from my house in Texas, and they opened one here in Wichita shortly after we moved back up here. Everything about them is first rate.

That to say that it will be a big loss if they do indeed go down.
This was coming, even without COVID.

I have a friend from way back in Junior High to High School to College that was a VP at AMC over in Leawood for more than a decade. This person bailed in late 2018 because the writing was on the wall: Movie theaters were going out of business in the next decade.

Unfortunately, COVID sped up that process, just as it has with nearly everything else from a technology standpoint.

I think we'll still have a few boutique theaters around that will show huge blockbusters and there will always be "Art House" theaters for smaller films. But films that cost between $40 and $140 million million to produce will most likely be relegated to Streamers.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:22 AM 10-13-2020
I actually don’t care for going to the movies outside of loving the popcorn. I’ll eat an entire large bag myself and proceed to hot box my wife the rest of the day with rancid farts.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:27 AM 10-13-2020
AMC saying they are going to run out of money by the end of the year

https://www.kmbc.com/article/amc-the...vOUzaRwxfNNZB8
Welp, guess I better get to AMC to see Tenet in IMAX while I can.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 12:07 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I actually don’t care for going to the movies outside of loving the popcorn. I’ll eat an entire large bag myself and proceed to hot box my wife the rest of the day with rancid farts.
Do you ever make her spread her legs, fart directly into her pussy, then perform oral sex on her?
[Reply]
dj56dt58 12:15 PM 10-13-2020
I don't understand popcorn/snacks at the theatre..I personally can do without. My wife and kids have to have popcorn ect but I've never understood people just throwing in snacks with the cost of a ticket like they just have to have fucking popcorn everytime you go to the movies. The sounds of people fucking with their snacks during a movie is fucking annoying anyway. Eat something before you go and save your money
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:59 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
I don't understand popcorn/snacks at the theatre..I personally can do without. My wife and kids have to have popcorn ect but I've never understood people just throwing in snacks with the cost of a ticket like they just have to have fucking popcorn everytime you go to the movies. The sounds of people fucking with their snacks during a movie is fucking annoying anyway. Eat something before you go and save your money
Our local movie theater sells popcorn to go. That's something they started during COVID.
[Reply]
eDave 12:18 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Not a theater goer either, unless it's live. I go to AMC and get a popcorn to go. It's way better than Harkins They'll let you right in for that.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:30 AM 10-13-2020
I love the social aspect of being in a big room with tons of people and watching a movie on a giant screen with the best possible sound setup. This is going to really suck.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:36 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I love the social aspect of being in a big room with tons of people and watching a movie on a giant screen with the best possible sound setup. This is going to really suck.
Yea me too. There are always drawbacks like if you sit around someone who is rude, but overall i do enjoy going to a theater for first run stuff.

The younger generation, i dont know? My kids go, but they probably would just as soon watch streaming where they are able to pause and come back anytime they want.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:47 AM 10-13-2020
Yea me too. There are always drawbacks like if you sit around someone who is rude, but overall i do enjoy going to a theater for first run stuff.

The younger generation, i dont know? My kids go, but they probably would just as soon watch streaming where they are able to pause and come back anytime they want.
Movie theaters will stay closed in Los Angeles through at least Q3 2021, if not Q1 2022, so it will be interesting to see how they fare after being closed for nearly two years.

By that point, viewing habits may be irreversible, leaving only a few theaters in each major city.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:28 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Movie theaters will stay closed in Los Angeles through at least Q3 2021, if not Q1 2022, so it will be interesting to see how they fare after being closed for nearly two years.

By that point, viewing habits may be irreversible, leaving only a few theaters in each major city.
They just built a huge plex over here with reclining seats, a wine bar, and Starbucks. It's weird seeing it shuttered. I would imagine it will be bankrupt before it reopens.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:57 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They just built a huge plex over here with reclining seats, a wine bar, and Starbucks. It's weird seeing it shuttered. I would imagine it will be bankrupt before it reopens.
With the advent of extremely affordable 65"+ QLED TV's, amazing wireless 2.1 and 5.1 surround systems and home theaters, it's been borderline irresponsible for corporations to invest in huge cineplexes around the country because viewing habits had already begun to change rapidly beginning in 2015, which has only been accelerated in 2020.

Internet speeds will only increase in the coming years, as will TV resolutions and even though there's no content at this point in time, 8K TV's are already available. While I can still see a few marquee theater chains have success with larger seating theaters, especially IMAX theaters, the days of 10 to 20 multiplexes being sold out each weekend are nearing its end or over.

The Paramount Decree was ended earlier this year as well, so we'll probably see a fundamental shift in movie theater presentations, with smaller chains bowing out altogether, while some of the larger chains shutdown many of their multiplexes.

The consequences of such closures may also lead to Disney, Universal, Warner Brothers, Paramount and Sony opening up IMAX and other large theaters that would show their specific movies only, something that was made illegal in 1948 but is legal, once again.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:03 PM 10-13-2020
They are happy watching enertainment on a computer monitor.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:58 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
They are happy watching enertainment on a computer monitor.
Computer monitor?

My kids watch feature films on their phones!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up