« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eddie Van Halen has Died
chinaski 01:42 PM 10-06-2020
Breaking Now

:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:10 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Because Sammy Hagar is glorified Jock Rock.

I personally can't listen to anything of his.
I LOVE Sammy's early solo works, especially Standing Hampton, which still stands up today in terms of killer production and some really great, memorable songs.

But I never really connected with Sammy in VH. The songwriting changed way too much for my taste and the band really fed upon Sammy's "Pop" leanings.

I'll still listen to parts of 5150, OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge but it doesn't happen very often because I just don't like Eddie's guitar tone or the songs all that much.

Different strokes and all that.
[Reply]
ping2000 04:10 PM 10-06-2020
In the car listening to satellite radio. Van Halen playing on 70's, 80's, 90's and classic rock all at the same time.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:11 PM 10-06-2020
Sounds like he was the posterchild for "don't meet your heroes." My deal with Eddie was he played, I listened. Fuck the rest of it.

Glad I got to see him perform live. Loved his music.
[Reply]
TribalElder 04:12 PM 10-06-2020
Was it the Rona
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:13 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I don't remember the year (1978-79?) but I was getting into my car one day and flipped on the radio. "Running with the Devil" came on. I sat there with my mouth hung open. Now, I have been a shade tree musician (Bass) since I was 10 years old - I have played with and heard guitar players for more years than I can even remember - but NEVER have I heard anyone like that - that included Hendrix, Farner, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Marino, on and on and on.....

Sure, tapping the fretboard was nothing new - it started years before, but Van Halen perfected it. And how!!!

RIP Eddie.....
I had the same experience. I remember hearing Running with the Devil at a friends apartment for the first time. I was 20 & he said you've got to hear this new band. We loved to sit around & listen to music on records(yeah vinyl baby).

He had just bought this Van Halen album by of course Van Halen. He put that sucker on & when the Eruption track after Running with the Devil started & I about lost my mind. It was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. Amazing!
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 04:14 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Because Sammy Hagar is glorified Jock Rock.

I personally can't listen to anything of his.
Which is funny. I can’t stand or listen to anything DLR.

It’s like torture.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 04:15 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Sounds like he was the posterchild for "don't meet your heroes." My deal with Eddie was he played, I listened. **** the rest of it.

Glad I got to see him perform live. Loved his music.
Well said
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:15 PM 10-06-2020
Van Halen was a bit before my time but my older brother jammed the shit out of them around the house growing up.

One funny memory I have of Van Halen came 3-4 years ago. My buddy, big VH fan, had the intro to Aint Talkin' Bout Love downloaded to his phone as a ringtone. Not sure the reasoning behind it but there was some kind of glitch either with his phone or the download and it would start playing at random times when he wasn't being called.

:-) we'd be hanging out or riding in the car with his phone plugged in, that intro would play unexpectedly out of nowhere and we'd all lose our shit laughing and he'd get so fucking mad at not being able to shut it off. Think he wound up ditching the phone because of it.

RIP EVH
[Reply]
eDave 04:15 PM 10-06-2020
Yup. Fair Warning is a personal album for me. Takes me back to a great time in my life. First year of boarding school in Paradise Valley, AZ. 16 years old. Went in clean, came out dirty. Thanks mom and dad.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:16 PM 10-06-2020
I don’t think I ever even listened to ‘Van Cherone’ ?
[Reply]
ChiefsOne 04:17 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Uh, no, it is not ancient.

And as I stated, a movie about his life would need to be seriously whitewashed because I seriously doubt that his son, or anyone else in their family, wants to the truth to be known.
I love VH, always have always will, both versions. But, I do believe Ed was not a very nice guy. He sued me for a hat design with the likeness of his guitar pattern. I didn't do it to rip him off, it was to pay homage to someone I loved and respected. His attorney said "that's just Ed" in the lawsuit, he tried it with Under Armour for the same thing and they pretty much told him to f'off they had more lawyers. We sent him the $5,000.00 check and a hat to sign, but never got it. I'm sure the 5k helped him a lot!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:20 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsOne:
But, I do believe Ed was not a very nice guy.
Well, at least he didn't ruin your funeral, as he did for Dimebag Darrell.

Dude was so drunk and methed up that he not only embarrassed himself but Darrell's close friends and family during his funeral.
[Reply]
TribalElder 04:22 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Was it the Rona
Cancer :-)
[Reply]
srvy 04:23 PM 10-06-2020
Guys start a greatist guitarist thread and memorialize Eddie in this one.

RIP Eddie
[Reply]
eDave 04:28 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Guys start a greatist guitarist thread and memorialize Eddie in this one.

RIP Eddie
That's been over for a while now. It's Roy Clark. Glen Campbell maybe as well.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 31
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up