Page 7 of 31
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eddie Van Halen has Died
chinaski 01:42 PM 10-06-2020
Breaking Now

:-)
[Reply]
vailpass 03:02 PM 10-06-2020
When I was a college kid I worked room service. On a night when VH were playing in town I got a call to bring a bottle of Jack and a bucket of ice to the room we all knew EVH was staying in. The non-smoking hotel room was full of smoke, Eddie was sitting down mumbling quietly into the phone. He looked frazzled as hell. He got up to sign for the booze (he came up to about my shoulders), nicely said thank you, and that was that.

I came of age in the 80s and like all the rest that did, Eddie was part of my growing up. RIP man and thanks for the ride.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:02 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by ping2000:
Van Hagar is a sensitive and polarizing subject.
Apparently, lol.
[Reply]
BlackOp 03:04 PM 10-06-2020
Van Hagar is a sensitive and polarizing subject.
I quit listening to them when DLR quit...Hagar always reminded like if Gronkowski was a singer...kind of shallow and superficial...with a good voice.

His lyrics suck...

DLR was a Rock God too...amazing chemistry between EVH's style and DLR personality.

When you think of the quintessential "Rock Star" charismatic front-man...David lee Roth gets my vote or Robert Plant.
[Reply]
ping2000 03:04 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Apparently, lol.
I also did not like the forays into keyboard playing. I just wanted to hear him play guitar. But, I am an old fart and others may disagree.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:05 PM 10-06-2020

Eddie Van Halen, legendary guitarist who helped define an era of rock & roll with his iconic style of playing, passed away on Tuesday after a prolonged battle with cancer. He was 65. pic.twitter.com/3NBfWIgfBK

— HISTORY (@HISTORY) October 6, 2020

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:06 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
I am sure everyone knows about Eddie's demons by now.
Some people may have been aware of his "demons" but 99.99% do not know anything about him because his management firm was adamant that his personal life was off limits.

Not only have I spoken with Eddie but I've been told stories by multiple producers and people that worked with him, VH and other associated bands, whether it was by management or touring or even his son's friends, that do not paint an even remotely pretty picture of the man.

Originally Posted by Halfcan:
If they ever do a movie- I hope they focus on their early years, growing up, the back yard parties, becoming stars type thing.

We don't need another Motley Crue- The Dirt movie, which basically ignores their sheer debachery.
Well, that's exactly what you'll get if it ever happens: A whitewashed Telemovie on a streamer.

People want their childhood memories back and don't want to hear about an abusive alcoholic coke head that later turned to meth and fucked over nearly everyone he came into contact with during Van Halen's career.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:06 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I quit listening to them when DLR quit...Hagar always reminded like if Gronkowski was a singer...kind of shallow and superficial...with a good voice.
Gronkowski as a singer...

[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:09 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I saw Van Halen for the first time at Monsters of Rock at Arrowhead. Actually, found my old ticket stub the other day for that concert. RIP Eddie
What a day that was! I remember being totally exhausted after Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken and Scorpions. Had to catch my 2nd wind to keep going for VH but it was well worth it.
[Reply]
bdj23 03:09 PM 10-06-2020
My parents loved Van Halen when I was a kid, I grew up listening to a lot of Van Halen (Hagar, mostly).. shitty news, he's my dad's age.

RIP
[Reply]
ping2000 03:11 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Some people may have been aware of his "demons" but 99.99% do not know anything about him because his management firm was adamant that his personal life was off limits.

Not only have I spoken with Eddie but I've been told stories by multiple producers and people that worked with him, VH and other associated bands, whether it was by management or touring or even his son's friends, that do not paint an even remotely pretty picture of the man.

Well, that's exactly what you'll get if it ever happens: A whitewashed Telemovie on a streamer.

People want their childhood memories back and don't want to hear about an abusive alcoholic coke head that later turned to meth and fucked over nearly everyone he came into contact with during Van Halen's career.
Well he was born in the Netherlands.
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:11 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Dayze:
the amount of hours as a young guitarist trying to even come close to doing what he did :-)

that was my first real indoctrination as a 12 yr old know nothing in the world for something; like "you can't do this. but go ahead and keep trying" lol
This!

I still have a body of a guitar in my garage I built when I was 13. I wanted to be a guitarist so bad and became descent at rythm guitar. I could play some classical pieces...But, I was never going to be Eddie. I could never HEAR the notes in my head. I could practice and memorize all day, but a true prodigy has the gift of music in their head- and then practice to get that sound out to the world. I probably should have played bass instead with my thick clumsy hands. I just loved the sound of guitar more. Guys like Jimi, SRV and Eddie- have music in their souls. They were meant to be great.

We have some great guitar players on CP and I bet every one of them can Hear a note or piece of music and sort it out without sheet music. They have a gift that makes them unique. That is true talent.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 03:16 PM 10-06-2020
Bummer. Legend.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:16 PM 10-06-2020
Well he was born in the Netherlands.
:-)

Yeah, his father was Caucasian but his mother was Indonesian, making him Dutch-Indo, something that was never publicized.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 03:19 PM 10-06-2020
Jerry was the greatest guitar player ever. :-)

J/K...Rip Eddie you were one of a kind

Panama is my favorite VH song. Always puts me in a good mood.
[Reply]
Halfcan 03:25 PM 10-06-2020
I also did not like the forays into keyboard playing. I just wanted to hear him play guitar. But, I am an old fart and others may disagree.
Eddie had an amazing keyboard sound as well. Jump is the most iconic keyboard riff of that decade. It is the Smoke on the Water riff for keyboards.

His music became more rounded in his later years. I prefer his early Untamed musical style, but he really grew as a musician and composer.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 31
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up