ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Collinsworth with high praise for Eric Bieniemy
RealSNR 05:01 PM 10-26-2020
Yes, I'm starting a new thread. Fuck bumping old threads. You're not in charge of CP's thread starting budget, so :-).

From Peter King's article this week:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

Originally Posted by :
FMIA: You’re running a team, and your owner says, “Pick the coach who’s going to turn us around.” Who is it?

Collinsworth: [Kansas City offensive coordinator] Eric Bieniemy. I would’ve done it last year. All these owners and GMs, they call you. Because we meet everybody. Bieniemy’s a dynamic personality, obviously he’s been in the room with Andy Reid, with the most creative of offenses. Is he the play caller? No, but it’s about play design. It’s about play creation. It’s about knowing the type of athlete you need to put together those kinds of creative offenses. And he’s a great guy.

FMIA: What’s the hang up been with Bieniemy? Why doesn’t he have a job yet?

Collinsworth: I’m gonna give the league the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure there are other people that say that the Rooney Rule is not effective enough and that’s the reason he didn’t get a job. [Bieniemy is Black.] I can’t explain it because in my mind, I know him. I’ve had a ton of conversations with him. I know his character. He’s like [Tennessee coach] Mike Vrabel. He’s one of those in-your-face kind of guys. I was stunned. I told Al [Michaels] before our opening broadcast in Kansas City, ‘I’m gonna go after [teams that didn’t hire him] because that is wrong that the guy didn’t get a job.’

But anyway, then, to me, I’m taking [Clemson QB] Trevor Lawrence with the first pick. I watched that kid play the other day. Talking about it with Richard Sherman, and he was saying, ‘You know, you got Sam Darnold, he’s been a top 5 pick. You could trade away the number one pick and you could set up your franchise for the rest of your life.’ I’m like, no way. In New York City? If they pass up the number one pick? If they don’t draft Trevor Lawrence, for the next six months, there is only one headline on the back pages of every one of those newspapers that you blew it, and that was the chance of a lifetime and you didn’t take it.

FMIA: So you’re Joe Douglas, GM of the Jets, and it sounds like you pick Bieniemy, no question?

Collinsworth: Yes sir, and I’m re-creating Kansas City. Everything. Trevor Lawrence is the same kind of player that Patrick Mahomes is. He can move. He’s creative. He’s been good for a long, consistent period of time. And then I’m going out and I’m finding all the Kelces and Edwards-Helaires I can find. I’m just re-doing Kansas City.
Not sure I'd take that gig if I were Bieniemy, but still. Not bad praise, eh?
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 12:28 PM 10-27-2020
McVay and Shananan were super hyped guys who are tremendous coaches.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:41 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire:
Shanahan was coordinator for SEVEN years before moving to a HC position.

McVay was only a coordinator for 2 and only a coach of anything for 9.

Shanahan doesn't really fit the bill. His hype was built on hard work.

McVay was a hot name. He's been pretty good so far but he's one of the few. Against him, you have all the Adam Gase's and Raheem Morris' of the world.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:48 PM 10-27-2020
All of a sudden there's a bit of chatter that Lawrence may just stay in school another year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:49 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
All of a sudden there's a bit of chatter that Lawrence may just stay in school another year.
J-E-T-S. Jets, Jets, Jets!

:-)
[Reply]
staylor26 12:49 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
0% chance that happens.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 12:53 PM 10-27-2020
Link: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ting-nfl-draft

Originally Posted by :
The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on,'' Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen.''
Translation: Don't tank for me, Jets.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:59 PM 10-27-2020
How humiliating would it be for Lawrence to tell the Jets he doesn’t want to play for them and then have him get drafted by the team with the 2nd pick...the Giants?

That would be the worst shit ever for Jets fans
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
How humiliating would it be for Lawrence to tell the Jets he doesn’t want to play for them and then have him get drafted by the team with the 2nd pick...the Giants?

That would be the worst shit ever for Jets fans
:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:08 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire:
McVay comes from a football family, as his grandfather was GM of the 49ers during their dynasty years with Joe Montana. He also started on Gruden's staff in Tampa, in DC with the Shanahan's and is only 34 years old.

If McVay had been hired in Jacksonville or Detroit or Cleveland, no one would even know his name, other than being another in a long line of failures for those franchises.

Shanahan had been coaching in the NFL for 13 years before being named as Head Coach of the 49ers and for 7 of those 13 years, was an offensive coordinator that actually called the plays.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:11 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
McVay comes from a football family, as his grandfather was GM of the 49ers during their dynasty years with Joe Montana. He also started on Gruden's staff in Tampa, in DC with the Shanahan's and is only 34 years old.

If McVay had been hired in Jacksonville or Detroit or Cleveland, no one would even know his name, other than being another in a long line of failures for those franchises.

Shanahan had been coaching in the NFL for 13 years before being named as Head Coach of the 49ers and for 7 of those 13 years, was an offensive coordinator that actually called the plays.
Right.
[Reply]
scho63 04:06 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My prediction is that Bieniemy will go to Houston. They have cap issues that will hold them back for a few years, but Deshaun could really thrive under him.
He fits there pretty well but does he want to deal with that shit show now that they dumped so much talent? :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up