ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 24
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ever wanted to name a university's mascot? Now's your chance!
RealSNR 01:22 PM 04-01-2015
The University of North Dakota got rid of the Fighting Sioux in 2012, and since that time, they have been simply "The University of North Dakota." No mascot. Fighting Sioux was beloved by the community of Grand Forks largely because of the tradition associated with it in the university's college hockey program, which has been historically and recently one of the top college hockey programs in the NCAA.

The university has finally assembled a committee to look through suggestions and recommend a new mascot to the president of the university. They just need the suggestions. That's where you come in. Simply click the link and fill out the online form: http://und.edu/nickname/

Here are the basic guidelines to consider (from the UND announcement):

Spoiler!

Since I'm originally from Grand Forks, I have connections to people who are abuzz with this process. I can tell you that there are already some favorites being championed:

--Flickertails. This was the university's mascot prior to becoming the Fighting Sioux in the 1930s. Given the university's recent goals of expanding into a tier-one research university, it makes a lot of sense to go with rodentia like their counterparts in the Big 10 (gophers, badgers). North Dakota is also known as the Flickertail State.

--Roughriders. The safest bet. Nothing says North Dakota pride like references to Teddy Roosevelt. Would also still manage to piss off a few people, since Teddy Roosevelt probably killed a few Indians when he was out in the North Dakota Badlands. It largely boils down to whether or not the university is cool with proudly stating to people, "Yeah, you might think of condoms when you hear our name, but we're still going to beat you in hockey!"

--Pilots. UND's aviation research and development program is unanimously known as the best in the country. It's odd to pick a mascot based on the strength of an academic program, but eh... weirder things have happened.

--Green Meadowlarks. This one combines creativity with tradition and old-sounding college mascot nomenclature, but it's also kind of weird. The Western Meadowlark is the state bird of North Dakota, and green and white are the school's primary colors. A problem with this is that I believe the Western Meadowlark is also the state bird of like 20 other states. It's still better than Banana Slugs.

--Keep using no mascot. The most likely option, I think. It's the last method that UND fans have to tell the NCAA to go fuck itself for making the university ditch Fighting Sioux. There's a rule in place that they can't have a racial mascot, but there is no rule that says the school has to have a mascot, just a nice little memo that says, "It would be really nice if your school had a mascot so we could maintain the entire aesthetic of the neighborhood. Smiley face." It would also make the university stand out and be truly unique.

But that doesn't mean you can't play a role in creating collegiate athletic history! So get in there!
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:45 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Sports teams that have relevant mascots certainly deserve praise, but there are tons that don't make any sense whatsoever.

Detroit Lions? Pitt State Gorillas?
The Tennessee Volunteers? When have them lazy fuckers ever volunteered for anything?
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:54 PM 04-01-2015
The Smallpox Blankets?
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:55 PM 04-01-2015
The Fighting ICBMs? :-)
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:56 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
The Smallpox Blankets?
Q
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 02:56 PM 04-01-2015
The Fighting Politically Correct Pussies
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:22 PM 04-01-2015
The Wounded Knees

Shit, never mind. Wrong one. Seriously, North Dakota makes South Dakota seem spectacular and exciting.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:41 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
Land locked state doesn't seem to fit the aquatic theme.
There's a river in North Dakota. Maybe they could be the river Orcas.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:43 PM 04-01-2015
Actually, there's a huge opportunity here. Think about this: the Ermines.

First off, ermines are really tough little critters, and they are paradoxically soft and furry.

But the big win here is that the university would be the UNDErmines. Now you have a mascot that's not just fierce and furry, but also one that has Machiavellian undertones.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:46 PM 04-01-2015
The ermine is also a cold-weather mammal. It may not quite reach North Dakota, but hey, there are no lions in Detroit and no bears in Chicago.

[Reply]
Rain Man 03:46 PM 04-01-2015
Guys, we have to go ermine here. Join with me and let's flood them with suggestions for it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:50 PM 04-01-2015
Okay, I submitted ermine with this justification. Help me out here, folks. This is my Ferguson. This is where I make my stand.

The ermine is fierce, it thrives in cold weather, and it's cute and furry. Plus, UND Ermines (undermines) is delightfully Machivellian.

Please submit some variation of this language in your own words. If they adopt the ermine, I'll rep everyone who helped.
[Reply]
sedated 04:12 PM 04-01-2015

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 04:25 PM 04-01-2015
Cartoon TucanSamQuakerOats
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:36 PM 04-01-2015
I knew I could count on Rain Man to come up with the best solution.

That's why you should only ever let Chiefs Planet solve your problems.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:37 PM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Guys, we have to go ermine here. Join with me and let's flood them with suggestions for it.
I'm on it. I submitted for my first and second suggestions.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 24
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up