ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Ancestry and DNA Thread***
BigRedChief 07:54 AM 03-23-2019
I sent in the DNA to 24 and me a couple of years ago. I didn't have any ticking genetic time bombs like the Alzheimer gene so I posted it publicly. People contacted me and I found out stuff real quick.

I recently spent some time to trace my roots on Ancestry.com. Found some interesting stuff. Probably others have too. Get your share on in here.

I'm 85% British/15% Irish/Scotish. Gentically, like every other human being ever born with Red hair and blue eyes, I come from Doggerland. Use to be the land mass connecting England to Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

My ancestors came here as rich British military officers. Had great wealth in NY, bought huge tracks of land in what is now the Bronx, My 7th GG dies and my 6th great grandfather inherited the wealth. He joined the revolution in 1775. The British took all his wealth, burned his farms when he signed the Declaration of Independence. Served as the General of the NY militia during the war. http://www.ushistory.org/declaration.../morris_l.html

My 4th GG moved to Tennessee in 1830 as a southern Baptist preacher. His son moved to green county Missouri in 1850 to be a southern baptist preacher. And thats where they stayed. Many remained preachers, even today. All sided with the Union.Since we left NY, my ancestors were mainly poor man of God preachers, drunks or killers. Not much middle ground. But, at least there was no slave owners. :-)

What interesting stuff did you find out?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:11 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Oxford:
Oddly enough, its possible in my case... Paternal GF adopted (family name is Thayer), but my DNA profile is a close match to a Benson, and there are marriages between the Thayer and Benson families back about 200+ years.

That's one explanation anyway.........:-)
DNA doesn’t lie. Whatever it says is about as close to “fact” as anything about us, who we are that ever gets confirmed.
[Reply]
oldman 09:34 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Oxford:
Oddly enough, its possible in my case... Paternal GF adopted (family name is Thayer), but my DNA profile is a close match to a Benson, and there are marriages between the Thayer and Benson families back about 200+ years.

That's one explanation anyway.........:-)
Hey, it's hard to court when dad won't let you borrow the mule.
[Reply]
morphius 06:46 AM 03-29-2019
My family name is very well documented. We got here in 1638, from England, and the first was a constable and tavern owner (must have been an interesting career path). My direct ancestor Nathan fought against the English in the revolutionary war. My relatives moved out of the Mayflower family area into Pennsylvanian, through Iowa and into MN as farmers. The first into MN also fought for the North during the civil war. My family stayed on that farm until my Fathers generation. Funniest piece was I looked up the manifest to the ship and saw the name of my team lead, at the time, and saw that name on there. When I talked to her she knew all about it as well. Basically found myself sitting next to someone in KC whose family came over on the same ship nearly 400 years before. Kind of a "small world" feeling.

My Mothers Mom was 100% Norwegian with both her parents migrating from Norway. We have info on the ancestors there, but it is a bit messy as Nordics don't really follow standard last naming convention. Her Fathers line escaped from Scotland to Ireland, than later moved to the Canada and migrated into the US from there.

I have info on my other Grandmothers line, but I don't remember anything of note, other than it should also be Irish as well.
[Reply]
"Bob" Dobbs 08:33 AM 03-29-2019
3-4 years ago, my dad did the 23 & me thing... He passed away a year ago, and in reading his tree, I saw something that definitely didn't belong. Turns out, I've had a half sister for the past 50 years that NOBODY knew about. I mean, not ever even a hint. He took that secret to his grave. Apparently mom didn't know (she passed before he did). Since then, we've contacted her and learned that SHE knew but was sworn to secrecy. We plan on meeting up this summer when she comes to KC.
[Reply]
JD10367 10:27 AM 03-29-2019
I dunno, I guess this stuff is like going to a psychic: if they predict shit that hits close to home, it’s easier to believe in it. I know one set of grandparents is from Sicily, and the other set is either Sicily or southern Italy. Did Ancestry.com snd they nailed it.
Attached: 5E0B5454-A655-4F33-B2A2-AA93241A5039.jpg (47.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Fish 11:35 AM 03-29-2019
Hope nobody runs into a situation like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/commen...my_family_for/
[Reply]
Hydrae 11:42 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Hope nobody runs into a situation like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/commen...my_family_for/
That is pretty fucked up.
[Reply]
JD10367 02:46 PM 03-29-2019
Don’t blame 23 And Me because your mom is a cheating whore.

Guns don’t kill people. People kill people.

DNA tests don’t **** up families. Lying whore mothers **** up families.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:12 PM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by JD10367:
Don’t blame 23 And Me because your mom is a cheating whore.

Guns don’t kill people. People kill people.

DNA tests don’t **** up families. Lying whore mothers **** up families.
yeah your 68 year old really sweet grandma was 23 years old at one time. I’d say 23 year olds have always been wilder and made worse choices than they do at 38 and now 68. I would expect that to hold realitively true since we as a species left caves.
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:32 PM 03-29-2019
Holy shit. :-)
[Reply]
bobbymitch 08:25 PM 03-29-2019
Close, but no fighting. I was in my 50's when I found out that my birth mother was my aunt. Seems everyone in the family knew, but not me. The circumstances around my conception was in doubt as the word was that my aunt's husband at the time was not my father. Which was probably why, even though they were living in Billings, Montana, at the time, I was born in Hood River Oregon. I was born with one name, lived my first 18 years under another, until my mother remarried and they adopted me, giving me a third last name.

My wife and I were on our way to Portland Oregon, and went through Hood River. We stopped by the local newspaper and went through their morgue and found my birth announcement. That let the cat out of the bag. After our week in Portland, we made a side trip to Seattle to talk to my uncle who spilled the beans. Even he thought I had been told. But he wouldn't fill in the blanks. My mother had died and I was so po'd I didn't call my aunt who lived in Arkansas. I always wondered why my grandfather hated my guts. Now I know.

My daughter did the Ancestry DNA testing and pressed me to do the same. We are awaiting the results. We already traced my wife's paternal side to the 1700's in Fort Martin, West Virginia, just through Find A Grave.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:35 PM 03-29-2019
Damn. How many families has this DNA testing stuff destroyed?

Some things are are better left buried.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:33 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Damn. How many families has this DNA testing stuff destroyed?

Some things are are better left buried.
People are not perfect. They make mistakes. They think covering up an affair is whats best for the kid. I'd bet if you ask the kid later when it eventually comes out if thats what they would have wanted, most would have wanted to know.

Maybe in the 1920's being a bastard, adopted, offspring of an affair etc. had some kind of negative stigma attached to that person. Its different in 2019.
[Reply]
bobbymitch 07:34 PM 04-17-2019
Welp, I got my results back. I found out that I have additional half brothers and sisters in New Hampshire. They all knew their father had a boy out from a one night stand in San Diego in 1945. But had no clue as to whom or where he was. My match with them were a little more than half than from my daughter. Apparently my birth mother had 4 kids from 3 different men. Am I po'd? Not at all. Stuff happened during war time. The sad part is that I probably will never get to meet them. Seems as though they have tracked their family tree back to William the Conqueror.

I also got to reconnect with other cousins, so there is that.
[Reply]
007 04:21 AM 04-18-2019
My line stopped at my 3x great grandfather on both my fathers and mothers side. I have not made any progress getting past that for two years. Nobody returns emails and my extended family has no interest in learning anything about their heritage.

Pretty much have gotten to the point that its no longer worth the time I've put into it.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up