ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 27
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Chiefs are racist
falstaff 04:06 PM 08-01-2001
How can you guys be fans of a clearly racist team? Teams like the 'Redskins' and the 'Chiefs' are clearly depicting American Indians in an inappropriate manner. As if the white man has not done enough damage to the Indian culture and heritage, football teams like the Chiefs must portray Indians and their mascot and portray American Indians in a demoralizing manner.

The US would never stand for team names like the 'Honkies', 'Spooks', 'RagHeads', 'WOPs', or 'Slants'. Why then should we be subjected to the desecration of the American Indian?

By simply supporting this, what I consider to be a criminal organization, you are backing the negative portrayal of the American Indian. Therefore, I consider you not Chiefs fans, but racists. The path to Arrowhead Stadium is truly a Trail of Tears.
aturnis 07:02 PM 08-01-2001
You still haven't responded on your thoughts of professional soccer........and professional soccer players alike........
Chiefs Pantalones 07:03 PM 08-01-2001
aturnis,

They're all racists!!!!!!:-)
Zebedee DuBois 07:06 PM 08-01-2001
Sorry Logical,
I was getting hungry up until your recipe.

But, I found this site, and started salivating all over again!!

http://www.curry-design.com/recipes%20/countries.html

enjoy!
Warrior5 07:06 PM 08-01-2001
An interesting side note...
My affinity for turkey sandwiches with avocado began at a small sandwich shop right on Mission Beach about 25 years ago. I'd hit the beach every day I could, and this shop made the best sandwiches...really hit the spot after a few hours of body surfing.
Just thought I'd share that with a San Diegan.
falstaff 07:06 PM 08-01-2001
Evidence:

As an ethnic group, Native Americans were once America's most visible minority. They were always seen in movies and on TV, and before that, on coins and in the form of wooden cigar store indians. They have become a bit less visible in recent years, and would prefer to see the remaining icons disappear. Indian nicknames (i.e., Redskins, Braves, Indians) are frequently used for athletic teams. No other ethnic group in America is used as a mascot. You may remember the flap over the Atlanta baseball team and the "tomahawk chop" which Native Americans saw as a demeaning and mocking gesture. In addition, Native Americans are widely used as logos for several major U.S. corporations (e.g., Butter, Tires, Carpeting, Automobiles), all without adequate consideration for their intellectual and cultural property rights. Their symbols, arts, and crafts have been widely counterfeited, and were one of the first to be replaced by "Made in Taiwan" items. Cowboy and Indian toys are still some of the best-selling items in toy stores.
Chiefs Pantalones 07:08 PM 08-01-2001
So you're a toy salesman?
ExtremeChief 07:10 PM 08-01-2001
Originally Posted by :
and would prefer to see the remaining icons disappear. Indian nicknames (i.e., Redskins, Braves, Indians) are frequently used for athletic teams. No other ethnic group in America is used as a mascot.
hmmm.... no mention of Chiefs...ok, well go ahead and stick with the wolf we have as a mascot.

thanks for the "evidence"
aturnis 07:11 PM 08-01-2001
CODY! HAHA

TOYES SALESMAN HEHEHE

HA!

One of those rare occasions when you can type LOL after really laughing out loud!
Logical 07:11 PM 08-01-2001
Warrior makes me want to check out sandwich shops on Mission Beach but my waistline prevents it. It sure was nice being young and just eating when you liked something. Just in case it might still be there do you remember the places name, I am occasionally down there and it would be a kick just to try it?

I just realized it was 25 years ago so never mind, silly question.
falstaff 07:12 PM 08-01-2001
MORE EVIDENCE:

Sports Mascots Dishonor Native Americans

Krol, Debra Utacia. "Sports Mascots Dishonor Native Americans; The Mascots Make a Caricature of Native Culture and Must Be Eliminated," News & Record (Greensboro, NC), October 15, 1999, A15.

"The pressure to stop the use of sports mascots that demean Native Americans continues to grow.

The National Coalition on Racism in Sports and the Media is gathering at Urbana, Ill., this weekend to campaign for the elimination of Indian mascots and other stereotypes of Native American people.

Urbana is home to the main campus of the University of Illinois, which has one of the most egregious sports mascots, Chief Illiniwek.

Illiniwek doesn't hold a monopoly on Native American mascots, though. For example, there's Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians, who runs about drunkenly at baseball games. Other offensive images include the Washington Redskins' logo and the ''tomahawk chop'' of the Atlanta Braves.

Illiniwek claims to honor the Illini People of the Algonquin confederacy. However, the University of Illinois Web site states that the clothing worn by the mascot is actually Oglala Lakota Sioux traditional garb, made in 1930 by an''older Sioux woman ... and two younger women'' on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.

Lakota elders reserve the ''war bonnet'' worn by the mascot for only the most honored and spiritual of Sioux leaders and consider it inappropriate for sports events.

Native American leaders, such as Suzan Shown Harjo, who successfully sued the Washington Redskins in 1998 to remove the copyright protection for its logo, have long expressed outrage over this exploitation of Native culture.

''These images should have gone (the way) of the Frito Bandito and Little Black Sambo, both of which disappeared after Hispanics and African Americans came forward to protest,'' says Charlene Teters, a Spokane tribal member and a leader of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and the Media."
ExtremeChief 07:13 PM 08-01-2001
Warrior,

ever had a hot pepper jack grilled cheese sandwich???? I've got some in the frazidge (just for aturnis)... maybe I should give it a try????

trrrrrrroooooooollllllllllllll alert!!!!!!!!! danger, danger, danger
aturnis 07:14 PM 08-01-2001
How does it demean Native Americans? And even if they all did, Wolfs aren't Indians man!
Chiefs Pantalones 07:14 PM 08-01-2001
I knew it! This is KCWolf!!!!

Underpaid, lad?
Chiefs Pantalones 07:15 PM 08-01-2001
aturnis,

"wolves aren't indians man"

When you're high they are!

:-)
falstaff 07:15 PM 08-01-2001
I fail to see how a WOLF is a CHIEF..

We have established that the Chiefs are CLEARLY associated with Native Americans. Please review the articles in previous posts. Try to be mature.
Page 14 of 27
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up