ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Frazod 03:32 PM 04-15-2019
I fear they may simply not have the resources to rebuild it. It may just end up like the Colosseum; a gutted ruin in the heart of the city.
[Reply]
raidersnumber1 03:35 PM 04-15-2019
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:36 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Not the school, but the cathedral.
Damnit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:44 PM 04-15-2019
Uncomfirmed reports now that all three rose windows exploded in the heat.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mark-live-news
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:46 PM 04-15-2019
I didn't think anyone expected them to last long.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:06 PM 04-15-2019
CNN is now saying that the visible flames are all gone and that the continued water is trying to put out embers now.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:07 PM 04-15-2019
Glad it's under control at least. Hopefully we can get a damage assessment tomorrow once the sun comes back up.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:06 PM 04-15-2019
The interior front looks better than I expected at least.

https://twitter.com/CathedraleNotre/...686851072?s=19
[Reply]
ghak99 05:16 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I guess I'm not familiar enough with the building to understand that picture. It seem almost impossible based on the pics and videos of the flames.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:26 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I guess I'm not familiar enough with the building to understand that picture. It seem almost impossible based on the pics and videos of the flames.
A lot of the ceiling is stone, so what we were seeing was the wooden roof burning. I thought sure it would have gotten through, but clearly not as much as expected.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:47 PM 04-15-2019
This thing is hitting me quite a bit harder than I would have expected. I was in choir in college, and a majority of the friends I still keep in touch with were choir friends. Met my wife in choir even.

In 2003, we took a tour through the UK and France, and one of the things that they do at Notre Dame is allow college tours to perform a few songs there just during the day while people are visiting. For a 21-year-old kid, it was a pretty incredible experience, so seeing her up in flames is really tough.

(I'm the nerdy one.)
Oh wow. That’s getting in the way back machine. I’d stack shit on you, but I bet you could dig up a 2003 picture of me pretty easy. :-)

I didn’t know you all went then. I don’t think I stayed in Emporia that summer. I’m getting damned old and that stuff is getting foggy.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:47 PM 04-15-2019

Wow. Still even wooden pews in the front. It had looked like the whole interior was on fire, but it clearly didn't reach that part. I also kind of figured that the roof collapse would have taken down all of the interior stonework, but it looks like that didn't happen at all.

I'm waiting for pictures of the stained glass now.
[Reply]
EPodolak 05:59 PM 04-15-2019
Wow. Still even wooden pews in the front. It had looked like the whole interior was on fire, but it clearly didn't reach that part. I also kind of figured that the roof collapse would have taken down all of the interior stonework, but it looks like that didn't happen at all.

Not confident about the glass, at least those windows nearest the fire. The lead likely melted.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:36 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Not confident about the glass, at least those windows nearest the fire. The lead likely melted.
I saw a report that two of the upper windows were destroyed. :-)
[Reply]
srvy 06:05 PM 04-15-2019

Dont think those pictures are in the Cathedral look like that in the 2 twin Belfry Towers.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Up