ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Ten Things About Today's Division Game: KC 22 - CLE 17
gblowfish 06:57 PM 01-17-2021
Ten Things About Today’s Divisional Playoff: KC 22 CLE 17

10. I’m the ultimate tree hugger. I’ve mentioned in previous Ten Things that I live in the house I grew up in. Stately Wayne Minor has always been home. And I have game day rituals that go back to when I watched games with my dad in the 1970s. When we get up first thing, Chiefs flag gets flown from the front porch. We set the recorder to tape the game. And I still have coffee in my special Chiefs cup used only on Game Day. And I have Chiefs PTSD bad. I won’t run down all the heartbreaking playoff loss scenarios we’ve all died in. You all know them. So today I put on my Chiefs Zubas, Mahomes Jersey and the Red Chiefs Hat I usually wear when I go to Arrowhead. Since its 2021 Covid playoffs, a fire goes into the fireplace, and Mitch and Danan Hughes go on the radio. I tell you all this, because my dad was incredibly superstitious. In close games in the fourth quarter, he thought if he watched, the team would lose. So when things got tight, he’d leave the house and walk down to the lake at the bottom of the hill from our house. He’d walk around the block, and for some weird reason, it would work more often that not. I do something similar. When I’m at the game in person, I never get too rattled. I’m in it and cool no matter what. When the game is on TV, I have to ignore them to make them win. Today after the Henne pick, I went into the kitchen and unloaded the dishwasher. Peeked into the living room around the two minute warning. Went downstairs and stripped off my Chiefs gear and did some laundry, and when I peeked again Andy Reid was shaking hands with Kareem Hunt and the game was over. I don’t know why it works. But it works. This one was a hand and foot biter, and it’s a good thing I’m on blood pressure meds, and can watch the fourth quarter on my Tivo without having a stroke.

9. It’s amazing that with Mahomes going out in the middle of the third quarter, the Chiefs were able to hold on and win. Offense only scored three points in the second half, gave up 14 and still managed to win. Besides the concussion, I worry about Mahomes toe. I haven’t heard any follow up on that injury. He tweaked it right into the start of the second quarter. It’s also a curious call that EB would allow him to run for a first down on the concussion play. Seems like a dangerous call to put Mahomes in that position when he’s certainly not moving at his regular speed. After his quick comeback from the knee injury last year, I’m confident that he’ll be ready to play next week against Buffalo. He simply has to play for this team to have a chance.

8. Even though Mahomes missed a quarter and a half of the game, he still out passed Baker Brownout. Mahomes threw for 51 more yards, threw for a TD and rushed for another, threw no picks. Both QBs were sacked once, but it seemed like Baker was running for his life a lot more often and throwing balls away. He did make a few nice throws to Njoku, but the best tight end on the field was Kelce, who had 50 more yards receiving. Mahomes also passed Len Dawson for total yards passing in playoff action. Pretty amazing that he did it in only three years.

7. Kelce is from Cleveland, and you know his homies were watching. Kelce and Hill had over 100 yards receiving each. Kelce chipped in a beautiful diving TD and Hill had the final clutch catch on fourth down to ice the game. Williams out rushed Chubb. Both had 13 carries and Williams had nine more yards. Kareem “Kick Her When She’s Down” Hunt did squat in the first half, and had one TD in the second half but only rushed for 32 yards. If this was personal, he has a funny way of showing it. It was personal for us too. He’s going home now.

6. Honey Badger was great today and earned his pay. He led the team with seven tackles and had the only pick. Baker doesn’t throw many picks, but this one should have turned the game momentum. Browns had won their last seven games when they had the advantage of turnover ratio. Today it was Browns 2, KC 1. And they lose.

5. The biggest turnover was the play inside two minutes in the first half where the Browns Higgins dove for the pylon and got smacked by Dirty Dan. Cleveland fans are crying helmet to helmet hit, and it may have been. But Higgins should have been smart and went down on the two yard line. He lost the ball and with around 90 seconds left, Mahomes marches down and gets one more field goal to go up 19-3 at half. That’s a ten point turnaround, and was the real turning point in the game. Speaking of field goals…

4. Butthead Kicker did his best “Kicker Who Will Remain Nameless” impersonation. Those four points - a missed extra point and a missed 33 yard field goal- were an elephant in the room for a good part of the game. The first extra point miss blunted our momentum coming out of the first drive. The missed field goal was following Honey Badger’s pick starting the second half. Cleveland got the ball back and marched down and got a TD on a pass to Jarvis Landry. That’s giving that ten point swing at the end of the first half right back. I can’t figure why Buttkicker can nail a 50 yard field goal on a windy day and badly miss an extra point? Looked like the snap and hold may not have been real good, but no excuse on missing the 33 yarder. He better get his shit together, or we’ll be looking for the next whiz kid place kicker out of college next season. We’ve seen this movie before.

3. Andy Reid said in the post game presser that Henne’s pick was his call. Seemed like Henne should have thrown that puppy into the cheap seats (well, actually NONE of the seats were cheap today). Henne did have a nice scramble -we got screwed on the spot- and then made a clutch throw on the fourth and one to Hill. Balls the size of small dogs on Reid to call that play, and Henne put it right on the money. Having him play in the season finale against the Bolts was a blessing in disguise. If he hadn’t had any recent game experience, he may have folded up. He had just enough to hold the fort, which we’ve seen time and time again this season.

2. Kudos to some unsung heroes. Williams for tough running. He did as well or maybe better than CEH would have done today. Kudos to Sneed, who got the only sack and was very good in coverage. Kudos to Remmers who sucked it up and played when he was on the questionable list for illness. Kudos to Hardman who filled in well for Watkins. I hope Watkins plays next week. I think he would relish a chance to play against Buffalo, the team that originally drafted him.

1. Biggest kudos to Andy Reid for reaching the Eighth Conference Championship Game of his career, and for the third straight year the Chiefs are playing at home with a chance to go to the Super Bowl. Think about how amazing that is! I was thinking last night when Lamar Jackson got concussed in Buffalo, that was EXACTLY what happened to Joe Montana in 1993. Then Patrick got knocked out today. I’m sure he’ll play next Sunday. Dude is a gamer. And I relish the opportunity to get even with Buffalo for 1993. This is EXACTLY that scenario in reverse. We’re the team with the playoff experience, and Buffalo will be on the road in a hostile environment. Buffalo made the playoffs last year and lost; then won two straight playoff games at home this year. I think they’re happy to be coming here just like Tennessee was last season. But Arrowhead now under Mahomes is different. The only Championship game we lost here was to Brady in OT. Early weather reports say we might have rain or snow and below freezing weather. It’s a 5pm kickoff, so it will be dark, cold and wet. It was dark, cold and wet when be played them in game six in Buffalo and beat them down. As long as we have Mahomes, I like our chances a lot. Survive and advance baby. Survive and advance. And wear gloves to save your fingernails. We’re just one more Arrowhead win away from going back to Florida in February. Let’s get it done.
[Reply]
KCTitus 10:38 PM 01-17-2021
I damn near didnt make it past #10...talking of your father and his rituals and his influence almost brought me to tears. That said, the missed XP definitely gave me a cold chill as I was thinking of the 1995 game. Butkher didnt dissapoint with another missed FG. I am so glad this team didnt depend upon FG's as in years past.

Great thoughts, 'fish...sorry you had to abstain from the latter part of the game.
[Reply]
alanm 10:46 PM 01-17-2021
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
When Henne threw that pick I took off my Kelce jersey and put on my lucky Jerry Garcia shirt.

Last year when the Chiefs went down 24-0 to the Texans I was so disgusted at the tv I took my Mahomes jersey off and grabbed my Jerry shirt just because. Well after that game the shirt became legend. Against the Titans when we're down by ten I did the same and we came back. In the Superbowl I was at a friend's house (Raider fan btw) and I was wearing the Jerry shirt under my Chiefs pancho. When Patrick threw the second pick, off came the pancho out came Jerry and the rest is history. I haven't worn it again until today.

Great win and thanks for the writeup.
I do that all the time. Though mine is a Priest Holmes jersey that I pull out if need be. Hasn't failed me. :-) Don't think I have a lucky tee come to think about it.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 11:09 PM 01-17-2021
Down the stretch I was hoping we’d get a touchdown to put it away. I kept thinking of your 6’s beat 3’s adage that you said your old man used to emphasize. Anyway, nice work.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:12 AM 01-18-2021
Good read George.

I was resigned to a loss when Mahomes went down. But credit to the defense. They got stops.

It’s weird to see another team with a great run game Flounder around and kill drives. Seems so familiar.

Credit to a defense I had quit on. They got the stops. And credit to Henne. I thought he had an Alex smith ceiling. But Alex loses that game probably.

Really credit to Reid for making them eat shit on that last play. LOL. Notorious texted me after that every coach in the history of the Chiefs punts there. And you know what? Fuck those guys.

Originally Posted by notorious:
The forward progress abortion was 100000000 times worse, yet you barely heard a peep.

Dirty Dan makes the play of the game and the announcers and fans fire their tampons across the room.
Yeah. It’s infuriating.

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Same old Browns
Nah. They fistfucked Pitt. Just like us obliterating Houston. It’s different
[Reply]
UK_Chief 01:22 AM 01-18-2021
Shout out to dirty Dan the playoff man! That play was huge and I think fair as he got him from the side. (Plus DIRTY Dan, clue is in the name...)
[Reply]
rabblerouser 01:27 AM 01-18-2021
I love your old hippie ass, George. Hope you and the Mrs. enjoyed the weekend. Peace on you.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:41 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
I just posted this same thing in another thread.

What the fuck was he doing out there today?

He was lost.:-)
No, he wasn't. Went back and checked out some of those plays, because at first I couldn't understand what he was doing either.

When he was rushing straight up the field and stopping, he was defending against Baker rolling out. Stenfanski likes to roll Baker out, mostly to Mayfield's left, and apparently Spags wanted to try and take that away. Baker, for the season, has been less accurate when rolling out to his right, iirc.

Clark also successfully defended the three attempted screens to his side. He made some other plays as well, but that's a different conversation.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:51 AM 01-18-2021
RE: not watching.

I’m not superstitious. Science would have to create new units of measure to determine how little the universe cares about me.

But I did have to leave the Indy concussion game. I think after luck ran the fumble in is when I bailed and cleaned my garage. Anyway, it was when we were still up.

My wife was legitimately worried about me when she came and checked on me.

I tougher out all the bad losses but that one I couldn’t watch. :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:00 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
RE: not watching.

I’m not superstitious. Science would have to create new units of measure to determine how little the universe cares about me.

But I did have to leave the Indy concussion game. I think after luck ran the fumble in is when I bailed and cleaned my garage. Anyway, it was when we were still up.

My wife was legitimately worried about me when she came and checked on me.

I tougher out all the bad losses but that one I couldn’t watch. :-)
:-)
When Patrick didn't get up on that play, and it was obvious something wasn't right with him, I closed my laptop, made myself a drink, and went outside to stir the coals around in my Weber for no reason, and dumped a bag of birdseed into the feeders. When I came back inside, Henne was under center.
[Reply]
HemiEd 02:48 AM 01-18-2021
Great write up George

It was nice to see the "Dirty Dan" hit go our way after several BS penalties against the Chiefs facilitated that Browns drive.

I agree, those four Butker missed points had my heart rate over a hundred the last quarter.

Williams truly came through today and I was wondering if something isn't wrong with Bell. He was only involved for a few plays that I remember.

Defense came through in the end and so did Henne. Great team win!
[Reply]
LongSufferingToady 03:40 AM 01-18-2021
Really great writeup. thank you!
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:07 AM 01-18-2021
Great as always George and Williams >Bell and it shows. I have thought the whole Bell signing was overhyped. He's cheap so who cares but he he looks slow as hell and his style just doesn't work with our OL.
[Reply]
burt 09:32 AM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by Bwana:
On of your best George, that for continuing to do these.
You typing with gloves on?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:35 AM 01-18-2021
He better get his shit together, or we’ll be looking for the next whiz kid place kicker out of college next season. We’ve seen this movie before.

Buttkicker is signed for the next 4 years at $4m/per.

He ain’t going nowhere.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:40 AM 01-18-2021
Well, if you step away from the game, at least you're recording it for later. I would be more of a wreck not watching it, thinking the DVR would break or something.

It's a magical era in Chiefs football, and yesterday morning crawled by slowly enough, much less had I stopped watching. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up