ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2813 of 3903
« First < 1813231327132763280328092810281128122813 281428152816281728232863291333133813 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:56 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
No. Someone in that home coming in contact with an infected human, getting infected and bringing it home.
Of course.

But unless we're prepared to shut down human contact, thats gonna happen
[Reply]
Pants 09:57 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I've got a little more left in me, so I'll take a swing.

This is true. We also know the majority of spread happens at home. I'm not sure how we suppress that.
This seems rather silly.

It makes sense to say statistically the majority of the spread happens at home because that's how infections work (hence, we have R0).

100 people getting infected with virus X in a public place and then taking it home and infecting 200 people as a result, for example, doesn't mean you have to mitigate the 200 infections at home. I think it's obvious to anyone you have to mitigate the original 100.
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The task force guidelines for re-opening made sense. Re-opening while cases weren't declining wasn't logical.

All one has to do is look at New York. They did lock down and have had a phased re-opening with data-driven triggers. And it has worked.
They had massive protests and such as well. Didn't cause a spike. So we should be good to have fans in stands at football games if they wear masks, no?
[Reply]
Fish 09:58 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
What should have happened?
How long should it have been done?
What would be the end result?
Better compliance to recommendations of medical experts.
How long would depend on how well it worked.
Impossible to say, but better than what we've got now.
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
This seems rather silly.

It makes sense to say statistically the majority of the spread happens at home because that's how infections work (hence, we have R0).

100 people getting infected with virus X in a public place and then taking it home and infecting 200 people as a result, for example, doesn't mean you have to mitigate the 200 infections at home. I think it's obvious to anyone you have to mitigate the original 100.
You wanna stop the spread where the majority of the spread happens, no?
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:00 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
IIRC adults tend to spread to kids easier than kids spread to humans. And there was also a study out of Germany that suggested those who have consistent contact with children, specifically 10 and under, are in a much better position health-wise to combat Covid than people who never interact with children.
Under 10 that is probably correct but the SK study and others have found that kids over 10 or so transmit and receive just like adults. Which makes sense. I am not saying we are going to see mass deaths of kids but I am worried about those kids that are obese\have comorbidities, their parents and older care givers.

I am just frustrated because we are about to unleash millions of new targets for infections and when this happens we will never get this under control.
[Reply]
Donger 10:01 AM 08-10-2020
Of course.

But unless we're prepared to shut down human contact, thats gonna happen
It's not binary.
[Reply]
O.city 10:01 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Better compliance to recommendations of medical experts.
How long would depend on how well it worked.
Impossible to say, but better than what we've got now.
So if it doesn't work, just keep doing it for longer? That seems...off.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:01 AM 08-10-2020
They had massive protests and such as well. Didn't cause a spike. So we should be good to have fans in stands at football games if they wear masks, no?
Depends on whose agenda is being served.
[Reply]
Donger 10:04 AM 08-10-2020
I don't know if they had massive protests. If they did, there's no denying that their efforts have been comparatively successful.
[Reply]
Donger 10:05 AM 08-10-2020
The task force guidelines were specific. 10 to 14 days of new case growth decline.

Do/did you disagree with that trigger for the beginning of phased re-opening?
[Reply]
Fish 10:05 AM 08-10-2020
If it doesn't work, you revise the approach until you find something that reduces the rate. Throwing your hands up and giving up shouldn't be option B.
[Reply]
O.city 10:06 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Depends on whose agenda is being served.
"Protests outside didn't cause spread because they wore masks and socially distanced"

"Ok, so as long as we're outside the spread is minimal, so lets get people outside as much as possible"

"No shut down everything and go into your homes".
[Reply]
O.city 10:07 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
If it doesn't work, you revise the approach until you find something that reduces the rate. Throwing your hands up and giving up shouldn't be option B.
When you go to the most extreme thing first, you don't know what to revise to reduce the rate.

Hence where we are now.

Arizona is a prime example of it.
[Reply]
Pants 10:07 AM 08-10-2020
You wanna stop the spread where the majority of the spread happens, no?
I don't understand what you're suggesting. Of all the people on this forum, I figured you would understand public health more than basically anyone.

I guess in a vacuum and as a general statement, your post makes sense. It makes zero sense in real life applications, however.

It's virtually impossible to mitigate the spread of the virus at home. This is why you want to stop it from making it there to begin with.

I can't believe I actually have to type that.
[Reply]
Page 2813 of 3903
« First < 1813231327132763280328092810281128122813 281428152816281728232863291333133813 > Last »
Up