ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2812 of 3903
« First < 1812231227122762280228082809281028112812 281328142815281628222862291233123812 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 09:31 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I've got a little more left in me, so I'll take a swing.

This is true. We also know the majority of spread happens at home. I'm not sure how we suppress that.
How did the virus manage to get into the home?
[Reply]
Donger 09:32 AM 08-10-2020
We have the death estimates for Sweden as well and we saw what they've done and they estimates are vastly off. In the end, as we've seen, thats basically the route all the countries are gonna end up going.

They also have been misconstrued as doing nothing (Sweden that is) and thats not the case. They basically did what we're doing now and have had success with it, so hopefully thats where we'll be in a month or so.
What death estimates regarding Sweden?
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:32 AM 08-10-2020
Want to see an example of why basically everything Covid is so divisive? Stuff like this is way too common.

Originally Posted by :
Kansas health secretary used misleading charts to push mask mandate
by Madison Dibble, Breaking News Reporter | | August 08, 2020 01:17 PM

The secretary for the Kansas Department of Health and Education is facing criticism for using a misleading chart while advocating for a statewide mask mandate.

Secretary Lee Norman gave a speech earlier this week detailing the difference in coronavirus cases between Kansas counties with a mask mandate and counties without one. According to a report from the Sentinel, Norman used an axis with a range of 15 to 25 to describe the number of new cases in masked counties and used a range of 4 to 14 to describe the number of new cases in counties without a mask mandate, making it appear as though counties without a mask mandate had more cases.

When the two sets of data are placed on a chart with the same axis, counties without a mask mandate have fewer new cases per day than counties with a mask mandate. Norman told reporters that counties with a mask mandate were "winning the battle" against the coronavirus.

"All of the improvement in the case development comes from those counties wearing masks," he said.

Michael Austin, the director of the Center for Entrepreneurial Government, accused Norman of knowingly misleading the public. The center is part of the Kansas Policy Institute, which owns the Sentinel.

"At a time when the public needs government to provide sound conclusions with accurate information, it’s unfortunate the Kansas Health Secretary knowingly deceived the public into justifying his narrative," Austin said.

Kansas House Majority Leader Dan Hawkins, a Republican, similarly criticized Norman. Norman was appointed to his position by Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly.

"Gov. Kelly and her administration have failed Kansans time and again, but manipulating data to intentionally deceive the entire state is a new low," Hawkins said.

"Tens of thousands of Kansans have lost their jobs and businesses as a direct result of Gov. Kelly’s politics-first response to the COVID pandemic, and these individuals struggling to make ends meet deserve to know the truth. It is reprehensible for a public servant like Dr. Norman that we trusted to protect our health and safety in a nonpartisan way to intentionally spread misinformation. The Kelly administration has lost all credibility," he added.

The Washington Examiner has reached out to the Kansas Department of Health and Education for comment.

[Reply]
Donger 09:33 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Want to see an example of why basically everything Covid is so divisive? Stuff like this is way too common.
Q axis
[Reply]
petegz28 09:38 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Yeah, I posted that the other day and got crickets. I even called BS the day Norman said all this. It just didn't sound right.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:39 AM 08-10-2020
If the kids are at home, but the parents are out and about, what difference would that make? Most of the spread we know is in homes, so it wouldn't effect much.
Absolutely that will happen and vice versa (work age kids working but parents working at home) but also there is still a huge group of parents working from home and their kids are quarantined with them until school starts.
[Reply]
TLO 09:39 AM 08-10-2020
I get to go do my free antibody test today.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:44 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Absolutely that will happen and vice versa (work age kids working but parents working at home) but also there is still a huge group of parents working from home and their kids are quarantined with them until school starts.
IIRC adults tend to spread to kids easier than kids spread to humans. And there was also a study out of Germany that suggested those who have consistent contact with children, specifically 10 and under, are in a much better position health-wise to combat Covid than people who never interact with children.
[Reply]
Fish 09:46 AM 08-10-2020
Lockdowns were a mistake. They weren't properly planned or executed. Full scale lockdowns were never needed to curb it.

The problem with them is that you essentially have to stay in them until a vaccine or whatnot or you're gonna get flareups, even with test and trace. Now ideally, you ahve the numbers low enough you can put out embers before they fire way up, so there's validity there.

That we have seen places use more targeted approaches and get it under control is example enough. With locking everything down so hard and fast the first time, we didn't and really still don't know what actually slows infections and what doesnt'.
Lockdowns were not a mistake. That's silly. The US lockdown was less effective because we took a half assed approach and many stupid Americans resisted in various ways.
[Reply]
O.city 09:46 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
How did the virus manage to get into the home?
Magic
[Reply]
Donger 09:48 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Don't let it touch your body, or you'll explode.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:48 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:

[Reply]
Donger 09:48 AM 08-10-2020
Magic
No. Someone in that home coming in contact with an infected human, getting infected and bringing it home.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:52 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Lockdowns were not a mistake. That's silly. The US lockdown was less effective because we took a half assed approach and many stupid Americans resisted in various ways.
What should have happened?
How long should it have been done?
What would be the end result?
[Reply]
Donger 09:54 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
The task force guidelines for re-opening made sense. Re-opening while cases weren't declining wasn't logical.

All one has to do is look at New York. They did lock down and have had a phased re-opening with data-driven triggers. And it has worked.
[Reply]
Page 2812 of 3903
« First < 1812231227122762280228082809281028112812 281328142815281628222862291233123812 > Last »
Up