ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Media Center>What Terrible Movie Do You Love?
Frazod 12:09 AM 02-23-2019
A twist on the other thread.

[Reply]
Al Bundy 04:57 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I've heard it's great. I've also heard it is horribly depressing. I really don't rush out to see those anymore.
Elizabeth Shue topless.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:12 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
There should be a spinoff of the spinoff thread.

"Why does Nicolas Cage make so many shitty movies?"

I mean Arnold, Sly, JCVD - so many other purveyors of cheese have easy explanations - they're just shitty actors.

But on rare occasions you see that Cage can play a role pretty straight and do it well.

So why is he so damn prone to A) selecting bad scripts and/or B) Overacting? I think A is probably one of those 'anything for a paycheck' stories but that doesn't explain B. You would think him more capable of occasionally lifting up spotty source material.

Just a weird actor. I wonder if he hasn't trapped himself in that Johnny Depp universe where everything Depp does now is Depp playing Jack Sparrow so he just has Jack Sparrow as a baseline. Maybe the time of Nicolas Cage actually being a decent actor is gone and he's stuck in a loop where his baseline is actually the overacting Castor Troy version of himself that really seemed to hit overdrive after Face Off.
It's basically a combo of A and B, IMO

At one point early in his career he was a critical darling, widely lauded for his Method Acting prowess... then he started choosing bad scripts and tried to elevate them by going way over the top, then just kept repeating those mistakes in a futile attempt to break the cycle
[Reply]
jjjayb 05:15 PM 02-25-2019
Strange Brew. Love that movie eh.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:21 PM 02-25-2019
Any love for Hot Rod?
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:33 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
There should be a spinoff of the spinoff thread.

"Why does Nicolas Cage make so many shitty movies?"

I mean Arnold, Sly, JCVD - so many other purveyors of cheese have easy explanations - they're just shitty actors.

But on rare occasions you see that Cage can play a role pretty straight and do it well.

So why is he so damn prone to A) selecting bad scripts and/or B) Overacting? I think A is probably one of those 'anything for a paycheck' stories but that doesn't explain B. You would think him more capable of occasionally lifting up spotty source material.

Just a weird actor. I wonder if he hasn't trapped himself in that Johnny Depp universe where everything Depp does now is Depp playing Jack Sparrow so he just has Jack Sparrow as a baseline. Maybe the time of Nicolas Cage actually being a decent actor is gone and he's stuck in a loop where his baseline is actually the overacting Castor Troy version of himself that really seemed to hit overdrive after Face Off.
I can answer the Nick Cage question, it's because he's in a metric fuckton of debt so he'll take anything for a paycheck
[Reply]
siberian khatru 06:57 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Did it also star Rutger Hauer? :-)
Speaking of, has Blind Fury been mentioned?
[Reply]
Al Bundy 06:59 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
When he sliced that fat guys eyebrows off.....
[Reply]
Frazod 06:59 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I don't think so, but it probably should have been.

I sort of question the idea of a hero who can be disabled by turning on the radio extra loud. :-)
[Reply]
underEJ 07:36 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I can answer the Nick Cage question, it's because he's in a metric fuckton of debt so he'll take anything for a paycheck
This is definitely true.

Prior to that situation though, he was an interesting guy. Starts out by switching his name from Coppola to make his own way, and really does some nice roles as a young man like Birdy, Racing with the Moon, Raising Arizona.

Then he starts to cultivate the over the top thing as a style and becomes a weirdo IRL. I have to admit, I love Vampire's Kiss, but most of them are really a work in progress searching for a role that requires that kind of energy. Then he finally found that role in Wild at Heart and I kind of got what he was doing. I loved Sailor Ripley and think it is an iconic character.

Then he just turns bizarre in general but still manages to do something really special once every 5 years or so like Leaving Las Vegas and Bringing Out the Dead and Lord of War. With tons of total crap in between.

The money must be good on that in between crap.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:11 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefBlueCFC:
Tremors
Fuck you. Tremors is awesome.
[Reply]
srvy 10:20 PM 02-25-2019
Speaking of Rutger Hauer he has been in a bunch of bad movies that are good Hobo with a Gun is one of many.
[Reply]
srvy 10:28 PM 02-25-2019
Crossroads with that lil piss ant Ralph Macchio. I liked and the guitar battle with Steve Vai was great.

[Reply]
Fishpicker 10:31 PM 02-25-2019

really liked Hauer in this
[Reply]
Fishpicker 10:37 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Crossroads with that lil piss ant Ralph Macchio. I liked and the guitar battle with Steve Vai was great.

great pick. box office was $5.8M. how did that happen?
[Reply]
Frazod 10:48 PM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:

Good call. Interesting bit of trivia - Vai did all the guitar playing. Although Ralph did a pretty good job selling it.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Up