ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Don't be me with your computer files
Mr. Wizard 03:28 PM 10-27-2020
:-):-) I just lost all of my computer data dating back 20 years. Long story short I had it BACKED UP on a 2tb portable hard drive which I dropped. It's trashed. 2 different sysops looked at it. I can send it to the company and pray but that bill starts at $1000.00 They took it apart and its running but the arm is scratching back and forth across the disk. No light comes on and it is not recognized by any computer I plug it into. 20 years of taxes, personal files, small business files and lesson plans and lessons from my 30 years of teaching welding - gone.:-):-)

Truthfully I had it backed up on my computer c drive which had to be re-imaged.
My though was, it gets re-imaged, I copy everything back, now I still have two copies. :-)BAM god punished me.:-):-)

Don't be me, back that stuff up twice. I would do it on "the cloud" but know little about it. Mr. Wizard is wrong again!

PS is the cloud a good idea for an old dog like me?
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:20 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
OK
LOL

Sorry about that.

Dropbox is for STORING and sharing files. It keeps a copy of a single file at a single point in time.

A good backup solution can keep a version history and a change log of individual files, allowing for point-in-time restoral.

Also, a good backup solution backs up more than just productivity and media files, allowing you to truly "pick up where you left off".
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:21 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Like I was a saying...you cant run your computer FROM Time Machine. It's a good safety net...but you will be out of commission for an afternoon. That's
the benefit of having a bootable clone...probably a wise decision to do both.
I have two machines (4 actually, 2 Macs and 2 PC's) so being able to restore instantly really isn't really a big deal for me.

But yeah, for most people having both would be ideal. The image for instant restoral and the Time Machine for files and stuff.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:35 PM 10-27-2020
I don't back up my travel photos because if I lose them then I have an excuse to go back.
[Reply]
Fish 08:42 PM 10-27-2020
Like I was a saying...you cant run your computer FROM Time Machine. It's a good safety net...but you will be out of commission for an afternoon. That's
the benefit of having a bootable clone...probably a wise decision to do both.
That's stupid and pointless though. You don't want to run your computer from your backup copy. I mean, you could absolutely make a bootable clone from a Time Machine backup. At that point it's not a backup copy though. You've now got duplicate images that don't sync.

You can take a Time Machine backup and clone it to an external drive if you want, and then boot from that. But your criticism doesn't make a lick of sense on its own.
[Reply]
Fish 08:46 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
LOL

Sorry about that.

Dropbox is for STORING and sharing files. It keeps a copy of a single file at a single point in time.

A good backup solution can keep a version history and a change log of individual files, allowing for point-in-time restoral.

Also, a good backup solution backs up more than just productivity and media files, allowing you to truly "pick up where you left off".
You're definitely correct. But I don't get the sense that the OP needs versioning of files. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wanted to make sure he knew the difference.

For what it's worth, you can absolutely leverage dropbox to do automated Windows system backups of whatever desired folders/data you choose: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-in...omputer-backup

Dropbox Business even allows for versioning with a 10yr retention policy...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:56 PM 10-27-2020
I recently sent a hard drive off to get everything recovered, including my entire music collection. It cost me a thousand bucks.

For that price I could have just not been a dipshit and had iDrive backing everything up to the cloud for TWENTY YEARS ($50/year for 5 TB).

Don't be a moron. I won't be going forward.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 09:10 PM 10-27-2020
doesnt everything just back up on the cloud if you use a microsoft laptop? automatically?
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:31 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
That's stupid and pointless though. You don't want to run your computer from your backup copy. I mean, you could absolutely make a bootable clone from a Time Machine backup. At that point it's not a backup copy though. You've now got duplicate images that don't sync.

You can take a Time Machine backup and clone it to an external drive if you want, and then boot from that. But your criticism doesn't make a lick of sense on its own.
Man...you just cant help yourself trying to make everything a personal attack.

Some of us dont want to wait an afternoon while we clone from TM...I will never have a down computer for more than 3 minutes due to drive issues.

I also wont be sending all my personal information to a 3rd party cloud vendor...people can trust them if they want but I dont like signing off on a corporation having a clone of my computer.

If Biden had my method...he wouldn't have had his computer compromised.

Also having a bootable external drive means I can run my computer set-up in different locations...

I havent run a Mac desktop from it's internal drive in 8 years...I use G-tech externals.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 09:31 PM 10-27-2020
Google drive bruh
[Reply]
Fish 09:40 PM 10-27-2020
Man...you just cant help yourself trying to make everything a personal attack.

Some of us dont want to wait an afternoon while we clone from TM...I will never have a down computer for more than 3 minutes due to drive issues.

I also wont be sending all my personal information to a 3rd party cloud vendor...people can trust them if they want but I dont like signing off on a corporation having a clone of my computer.
You are not actually doing a backup though. You're simply running your OS from an external drive. That's why your strategy doesn't make any sense. You can't do a Time Machine backup to an active boot drive. That's a fact.

Regardless, a 200GB Time Machine backup on SSD takes about 30-45 minutes to restore. I know because I've done hundreds of them on every different model of Mac available.

Also, the idea of 3rd party cloud vendors accessing your private data is laughably dumb. If you knew the first thing about how the encryption worked, you'd realize how silly you sound.
[Reply]
Fish 09:49 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Ebolapox:
Google drive bruh
Yeah, Google Drive should also give you 10GB free, and you can configure Google Drive to do automated OS/select data backups as well.

https://fossbytes.com/backup-hard-dr...and-sync-tool/

I'd still recommend getting an external like the one htis referenced above for local backups regardless....
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:53 PM 10-27-2020
You are not actually doing a backup though. You're simply running your OS from an external drive. That's why your strategy doesn't make any sense. You can't do a Time Machine backup to an active boot drive. That's a fact.

Regardless, a 200GB Time Machine backup on SSD takes about 30-45 minutes to restore. I know because I've done hundreds of them on every different model of Mac available.

Also, the idea of 3rd party cloud vendors accessing your private data is laughably dumb. If you knew the first thing about how the encryption worked, you'd realize how silly you sound.
Yeah...just like Mac programmed a back-door into their OS.

I have a 2 TB boot...so that makes your 30 minutes retrieval about 5 hours in my case. I back up every few weeks...unless I'm in the studio. That's why I said TM would be good to use in conjunction.

If your internal computer drive tanks...and you dont have a bootable OS external...youre shit out of luck. Many times the conflict could be resolved...
[Reply]
Fish 09:57 PM 10-27-2020
Yeah...just like Mac programmed a back-door into their OS.

I have a 2 TB boot...so that makes your 30 minutes retrieval about 5 hours in my case..
Back door into their OS? :-)... OK, bud.
[Reply]
Fish 09:58 PM 10-27-2020
If your internal computer drive tanks...and you dont have a bootable OS external...your shit out of luck. Many times the conflict could be resolved...
No, you're completely wrong. But we're way off topic now, and this is the last I'm commenting on your goofy ass. Good day.
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:05 PM 10-27-2020
No, you're completely wrong. But we're way off topic now, and this is the last I'm commenting on your goofy ass. Good day.
Maybe I should rephrase...you're shit out of luck for the next few hours...and that's if your internal drive was just corrupted and hasn't failed.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up