ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 29
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:30 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Fritz88:
What brand is it? It looks great.
Mine was like $13 bucks at Walmart.
[Reply]
Alton deFlat 01:31 PM 11-08-2011
I have 8" and 12" cast skillets. Love those things. I don't use them every day, but they are irreplaceable. I also have a 6 quart cast iron dutch oven. It's an enameled one, and it is amazing for soups and stews. I use the hell outta that thing...... especially in the fall and winter.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:31 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Groupon:
It's funny. I hate blue cheese, but it's really good on a steak. It's almost like I hate and love it at the same time when it's on a steak. Hard to explain, but maybe I'm in the process of acquiring the taste. If anyone's ever been to La Bodega, that blue cheese encrusted steak is amazing.
same here. to overwhelming any time else for me, except when that taste is cut a bit by a rich/juicy steak.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:31 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
That's a good lookin' skillet my friend.

Fap material for sure... umm... you know... if you get excited about cast iron. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:32 PM 11-08-2011
Still can't beat a good horseradish sauce, though.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:33 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
They are awesome when your (ex)wife doesn't insist on filling them with soapy water and leaving them to soak overnight...
thats just so not right. worse is in dishwasher
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:35 PM 11-08-2011
If you really want to know whats what in CI..http://www.wag-society.org/
[Reply]
RockChalk 01:38 PM 11-08-2011
Used mine to cook a couple of filets last night. Delicious as always.
[Reply]
WV 01:40 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by sedated:
Oh, and I’ve heard using walnut oil is better for cast iron because it doesn’t get rancid like vegetable oil can.
Your not using it enough if your vegetable oil is getting rancid. I've never had an issue using Vegetable or Canola oil as my after dry wipe down.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:42 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
If you really want to know whats what in CI..http://www.wag-society.org/
It's made from monkey cum, you know.

[Reply]
Mojo Jojo 02:07 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
They are awesome when your (ex)wife doesn't insist on filling them with soapy water and leaving them to soak overnight...
Or swing them at your head.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 02:30 PM 11-08-2011
I have some cast iron skillets my Dad gave me when my grandmother passed away. Love cooking on them, but they could probably stand to be stripped and re-seasoned. May have to get some flaxseed oil! Thanks Firemeboy for posting that.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 02:39 PM 11-08-2011
I use them, but not very often as I am lazy and like to throw shit in the dishwasher. But they are pretty bomb. I mainly use them camping...
[Reply]
Graystoke 02:45 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Fritz88:
That's the scary thing about them. You need to know how to care for them.
Not scary at all. Once you have a good seasoned layer it is pure simplicity.
I use Olive Oil and nothing else to keep it oily.
Only warm water and a wood scraper to get the tough stuff out.
Lodge is the way I go.

The bonus of Cast Iron is cooking in them is FAT FREE!
A little known fact is Cast Iron absorbs all the bad fats from Bacon and Sausage....thats what Dad told me and I am stickin to it:-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 02:50 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
I have some cast iron skillets my Dad gave me when my grandmother passed away. Love cooking on them, but they could probably stand to be stripped and re-seasoned. May have to get some flaxseed oil! Thanks Firemeboy for posting that.
Yeah, once again I feel pretty stupid. We have had the same big old cast iron skillet for 40+ years and only use it for frying chicken. We knew nothing about the seasoning or proper cleaning until this thread.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 29
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up