ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 29
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
Okie_Apparition 01:07 PM 11-08-2011
It's the only reason people go to farm auctions anymore
[Reply]
NewChief 01:08 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Groupon:
I bought one a couple weeks ago. They are amazing for cooking a strip. Put in in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. When it's done, turn on a burner to high. Put the skillet on the burner and put the steak on for 30 seconds then flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds. Put it back in the oven for 3 minutes, flip, and 3 more minutes. Perfect steak.

Don't use soap when you clean it, though. Scrub it under hot water, dry it, and rub a little olive or vegetable oil on it before putting it away.
We did that with this freaking 40 day aged T-bone my buddy brought up the other day. Insane.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:09 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Sounds like you either A) Watched a very old episode of Good Eats or B) Purchased Alton Brown's cookbook.

That's a verbatim description of how he cooks his steaks indoors.

It's a passable winter substitute for wood-charcoal in a Weber grill...
Neither. I got it word of mouth, but I'm pretty sure that Alton Brown was involved in the creation of the chain. It's fucking good, though.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 01:09 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Groupon:
Don't use soap when you clean it, though. Scrub it under hot water, dry it, and rub a little olive or vegetable oil on it before putting it away.
Yup^. Scrub with a stiff brush, no steel wool or detergents (like SOS pads).
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:10 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by NewChief:
We did that with this freaking 40 day aged T-bone my buddy brought up the other day. Insane.
That reminds me. It can't be some shitty 1/2 inch cut. It's got to be 1 1/2 inches thick. This should go without saying, but you never know.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:11 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Fritz88:
Sounds good. Do I get preseasoned or season it myself?

Can't wait to get my hands on one.
They're almost always pre-seasoned these days, but you'll be better off if you give a little attention before you cook on it. If you try the method above, report back.

As for cleaning, someone else mentioned just use hot water. DO NOT USE SOAP, and ALWAYS DRY IT IMMEDIATELY. These things will rust fast. If you've got some stuck on bits and need some scrubbing power, salt and a paper towel work wonders. Don't use an abrasive scrubbing sponge because it can wreck the seasoning. If you need to strip the seasoning for any reason, pop it in the oven and put it on self-clean.
[Reply]
tooge 01:14 PM 11-08-2011
Here is mine. Better burgers and steaks than on a grill for sure. Just get it real hot. Scrub with non soapy water and a pastic brush. Dry, then add a bit of oil and wipe it all over.
Attached: q eatin4.JPG (25.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:17 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by tooge:
Here is mine. Better burgers and steaks than on a grill for sure. Just get it real hot. Scrub with non soapy water and a pastic brush. Dry, then add a bit of oil and wipe it all over.
That's a good lookin' skillet my friend.

Fap material for sure... umm... you know... if you get excited about cast iron. :-)
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:19 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
That's a good lookin' skillet my friend.

Fap material for sure... umm... you know... if you get excited about cast iron. :-)
I will say that holding a cast iron skillet in your hand is a very satisfying feeling. It's like holding a heavy handgun or something. There's just something about it that appeals to a guy.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:22 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Sounds like you either A) Watched a very old episode of Good Eats or B) Purchased Alton Brown's cookbook.

That's a verbatim description of how he cooks his steaks indoors.

It's a passable winter substitute for wood-charcoal in a Weber grill...
Yeah, it's a killer recipe in Alton's book Good Eats.(love that book).

Saul, if you like blue cheese, do the same thing to cook your steak. Then de-glaze the skillet with about 1/4C brandy, then a add in the blue cheese to melt. Spoon out on the side. It makes a great dipping sauce for a steak (not that steaks need it, but you get the idea).

Alton's recipe^ not mine.
[Reply]
sedated 01:27 PM 11-08-2011
I’ve had my cast iron for a few months, but its been kind of a pain in the ass. After every use I have to scrub the thing with water and paper towel (leaving bits of paper towel all over), then rub the whole thing down with oil, wipe off the excess oil, and put it in a hot oven. Maybe it’s the weight of the thing, but non-stick just seems easier (leave it soaking in soapy water, then wipe it out and rinse off). I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.

Oh, and I’ve heard using walnut oil is better for cast iron because it doesn’t get rancid like vegetable oil can.
[Reply]
Fritz88 01:28 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by tooge:
What brand is it? It looks great.
[Reply]
Fritz88 01:29 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by sedated:
I’ve had my cast iron for a few months, but its been kind of a pain in the ass. After every use I have to scrub the thing with water and paper towel (leaving bits of paper towel all over), then rub the whole thing down with oil, wipe off the excess oil, and put it in a hot oven. Maybe it’s the weight of the thing, but non-stick just seems easier (leave it soaking in soapy water, then wipe it out and rinse off). I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.

Oh, and I’ve heard using walnut oil is better for cast iron because it doesn’t get rancid like vegetable oil can.
That's the scary thing about them. You need to know how to care for them.
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:30 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Yeah, it's a killer recipe in Alton's book Good Eats.(love that book).

Saul, if you like blue cheese, do the same thing to cook your steak. Then de-glaze the skillet with about 1/4C brandy, then a add in the blue cheese to melt. Spoon out on the side. It makes a great dipping sauce for a steak (not that steaks need it, but you get the idea).

Alton's recipe^ not mine.
It's funny. I hate blue cheese, but it's really good on a steak. It's almost like I hate and love it at the same time when it's on a steak. Hard to explain, but maybe I'm in the process of acquiring the taste. If anyone's ever been to La Bodega, that blue cheese encrusted steak is amazing.
[Reply]
Dayze 01:30 PM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by sedated:

I usually rinse with hot water, get all the food etc off, the dry with a regular towel. then I put it back on the burner just to get it warm; then I apply a small amount of crisco all around inside it with a paper towel; then cool.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 29
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up