ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 29
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
aturnis 02:59 PM 01-26-2013
Another question. Why paper towels? Wouldn't rubbing them on the cast iron surface leave behind bits and pieces of paper and lead to imperfections?

My Viva paper towels are soft and seem to do this.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:57 PM 01-26-2013
Originally Posted by aturnis:
Another question. Why paper towels? Wouldn't rubbing them on the cast iron surface leave behind and lead to imperfections?

My Viva paper towels are soft and seem to do this.
I don't ever seem to have this trouble. You mean it's leaving behind bits of the paper towel? Could just easily use a dish towel, I suppose.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 05:21 PM 01-27-2013
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
They are awesome when your (ex)wife doesn't insist on filling them with soapy water and leaving them to soak overnight...
:-)Or ex-hubby's leaving them in the oven when the oven cleaning cycle is on. Wonder which is worse, soapy-soaks or oven-cleaning when already cleaned?
[Reply]
R8RFAN 06:48 PM 01-27-2013
I know a cast iron skillet will sear a steak nicely...
I can make a better steak on a cast iron skillet than I can on a grill
[Reply]
lewdog 07:35 PM 01-27-2013
Originally Posted by R8ers:
It is because of this that I really need to pick one up!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:43 PM 01-27-2013
That's also why I sear my sous vide in cast iron.

It makes a helluva burger, too.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:40 AM 01-28-2013
I've switched in the last year or so, and found the cast iron much better for steak.
I then toss in the broiler for last minute though, with some red wine and a bit of butter for a wine sauce.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:46 AM 01-28-2013
What oil do you use for steaks in the cast iron? I've switched to ghee mostly, which has a very high smoke point - a bit higher than even canola - and it's gone a ton of flavor. :-)

And if you make your own, it's cheap. Whenever I start to run low, I pop a couple pounds of butter in my dutch oven and put it in a 250-degree oven for a couple hours. Once the milk solids have sufficiently browned and it's ready, I'll pour it all through some cheese cloth and save the oil.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 02:19 PM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
What oil do you use for steaks in the cast iron? I've switched to ghee mostly, which has a very high smoke point - a bit higher than even canola - and it's gone a ton of flavor. :-)

And if you make your own, it's cheap. Whenever I start to run low, I pop a couple pounds of butter in my dutch oven and put it in a 250-degree oven for a couple hours. Once the milk solids have sufficiently browned and it's ready, I'll pour it all through some cheese cloth and save the oil.
No oil for a rib-eye if your skillet is good and seasoned.. A small amount of soft butter on it afterwards is what I use.

I like if I have a 2 inch ribeye I like about 3 mins on each side and it produces a MR steak for me.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:46 PM 01-28-2013
No oil for a rib-eye if your skillet is good and seasoned.. A small amount of soft butter on it afterwards is what I use.

I like if I have a 2 inch ribeye I like about 3 mins on each side and it produces a MR steak for me.
Mine CI are well seasoned, but I still like to cook with a little oil... I feel like I get a better sear. To each his own.

:-)
[Reply]
R8RFAN 06:27 PM 01-28-2013
Mine CI are well seasoned, but I still like to cook with a little oil... I feel like I get a better sear. To each his own.

:-)
As long as that skillet is not too cold when you put the steak in there isn't much of a way to mess it up unless someone cooks it well done or something...
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:49 PM 01-28-2013
As long as that skillet is not too cold when you put the steak in there isn't much of a way to mess it up unless someone cooks it well done or something...
Yup. But ghee is yummy on a steak!
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:31 PM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
They are awesome when your (ex)wife doesn't insist on filling them with soapy water and leaving them to soak overnight...
Jesus Christ, I know being late to a pile-on isn't cool, but JESUS CHRIST!!! That's just un-fucking-cool of her!
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 08:02 PM 01-28-2013
Yup. But ghee is yummy on a steak!
Got a link on how to make ghee? I know you said it was a simple process, but I typically need step by step instructions when trying something new like making my own cooking oil. Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:20 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
Got a link on how to make ghee? I know you said it was a simple process, but I typically need step by step instructions when trying something new like making my own cooking oil. Thanks! :-)
Before trying it in the oven, do a smaller batch of browned butter on the stove top.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes..._brown_butter/

Originally Posted by :
How to Brown Butter Recipe

Unsalted butter, sliced into tablespoon sized slices

Heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter (sliced so that the butter melts more evenly) whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter.

Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface to help stop the butter from cooking further and perhaps burning.

It's pretty easy to overcook browned butter and go from brown to burnt. If the butter starts to blacken, I suggest dumping it and starting over (something I've had to do on occasion), unless you want beurre noir which has a different taste than nutty brown butter.

If you want to make sage brown butter sauce, add some fresh sage leaves to the butter once it has melted. Allow the butter to brown and remove from heat.

Use browned butter immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for future use.

[Reply]
Page 13 of 29
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up