ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 56 of 172
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 10:47 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeup.

I'll take my mid-tier firm and the worry that the loss a single substantial client could submarine our entire practice over slogging through that silk-stocking horseshit.

Folks - that's simply the way massive practices work. Even as Kim is talking to the new firm, I'm sitting there thinking "okay, they're going to buy you out of your law school debt and probably pay in in the $150K range, so they're probably going to want 2,200 billables out of you and I figure that's gonna take you 3,400 hours of work, a lot of it pretty tedious. You'll probably also be expected to be a rainmaker if they put you on a partnership track at a mega-firm."

Man....**** all of that.

This show captures the reality of firm politics better than any legal show I've ever seen and it's funny how quickly everyone watching it thinks to themselves '****, why would anyone subject themselves to this....'

Why indeed. There's a reason lawyers have the worst job satisfaction rates of pretty much any profession. Divorce rates and alcoholism are through the roof as well. The job chews you up and spits you out if you'll let it.
How big of a firm is Schweigert? I had the impression it was a medium practice, smaller than HHM? Am I misremembering?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:09 AM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
That's not as bad as D&Ms hypocritical bullshit of telling Jimmy marketing was his thing then blasting him for taking initiative. Or better yet, reading Jimmy the riot act about a completely legal ad but encouraging Jimmy when he was bribing senior citizens on the bus.

Which is why I don't buy the explanation that Jimmy is and always will be slippery. He seems to be trying his damndest to go legit.
Ad campaigns always get signed up by senior management law firms or not. It's just they way it goes. I've seen $100,000 spent only to have it unapproved by the top a CEO of a firm.
You run an ad campaign without the proper sign-offs, you're toast. Even an ad firm or design studio gets a signature before running with an ad.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:02 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
How big of a firm is Schweigert? I had the impression it was a medium practice, smaller than HHM? Am I misremembering?
Jimmy said they were huge.

I was thinking a Shook Hardy type; 100+ attorney firm.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:05 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
That's not as bad as D&Ms hypocritical bullshit of telling Jimmy marketing was his thing then blasting him for taking initiative. Or better yet, reading Jimmy the riot act about a completely legal ad but encouraging Jimmy when he was bribing senior citizens on the bus.

Which is why I don't buy the explanation that Jimmy is and always will be slippery. He seems to be trying his damndest to go legit.
I disagree.

D&M were totally in bounds being pissed off there.

It doesn't take a firm long to get that 'mid-day advertising ambulance chasers' tag real quickly. D&M may have some massive thriving anti-trust practice or IP law or something equally stuffy where running a mid-day add of a senior citizen acting confused is completely opposite of the culture they've developed and the reputation they've built.

Even the add they did run was extremely dry; again - perhaps a corporate culture thing they've sought to cultivate.

Jimmy was out of bounds there.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:15 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
It's the only thing keeping the show interesting.
:-) keep your horrible takes in DC...thanks!
[Reply]
frankotank 01:21 PM 03-25-2016
this is pretty cool. nice read. nice video in which Gilligan says "The more we learn about Jimmy the more we like him...and the more we dread him eventually turning into Saul Goodman."

http://www.newsweek.com/better-call-...irk-kim-440569
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 11:19 AM 03-26-2016
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...e68400157.html
[http://www]

FOR PETE'S SAKE

MARCH 26, 2016 4:19 AM

There is a reason why Kim Wexler is wearing a Royals shirt on ‘Better Call Saul’

The character Kim Wexler has been spotted wearing a Royals T-shirt in the prequel to “Breaking Bad”

i

BY PETE GRATHOFF

pgrathoff@kcstar.com

and

BY JOYCE SMITH

jsmith@kcstar.com

*LINKEDINGOOGLE+PINTERESTREDDITPRINTORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY

There aren’t many better mash-ups between sports and television than this.

On “Better Call Saul,” the prequel to the best TV drama of all-time, “Breaking Bad,” there is a character named Kim Wexler. She is friends (with benefits, it seems) with Saul Goodman (aka Jimmy McGill).

In season two of “Better Call Saul,” Wexler was spotted in a Royals T-shirt and it didn’t go unnoticed on social media.

The show is set in 2002 (when the Royals went 62-100 and Neifi Perez was the starting shortstop), so this isn’t a matter of the producers jumping on the bandwagon. Besides, the series takes place in Albuquerque, N.M.

We reached out to a source with AMC, which broadcasts the show, and were told that the T-shirt was was “a choice made with thought and intention.”

That was as much as they would give us, because they don’t want to divulge too much.

If you watched “Breaking Bad,” then you know that every detail of the show is well thought out.

So, let’s hear it. Anyone got a theory on why Kim Wexler is wearing that shirt? Here’s one thought: Since we know Saul ends up in Omaha, maybe she’s from Nebraska and is a Royals fan. Perhaps she runs into him at that Cinnabon at some point in the future.

Or maybe she has a crush on Mike Sweeney — he hit .340 in 2002.

Pete Grathoff:*816-234-4330,*@pgrathoff

Joyce Smith:*816-234-4692,*@JoyceKC

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:13 PM 03-26-2016
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...e68400157.html

FOR PETE'S SAKE

MARCH 26, 2016 4:19 AM

There is a reason why Kim Wexler is wearing a Royals shirt on ‘Better Call Saul’

The character Kim Wexler has been spotted wearing a Royals T-shirt in the prequel to “Breaking Bad”

i

BY PETE GRATHOFF

pgrathoff@kcstar.com

and

BY JOYCE SMITH

jsmith@kcstar.com

*LINKEDINGOOGLE+PINTERESTREDDITPRINTORDER REPRINT OF THIS STORY

There aren’t many better mash-ups between sports and television than this.

On “Better Call Saul,” the prequel to the best TV drama of all-time, “Breaking Bad,” there is a character named Kim Wexler. She is friends (with benefits, it seems) with Saul Goodman (aka Jimmy McGill).

In season two of “Better Call Saul,” Wexler was spotted in a Royals T-shirt and it didn’t go unnoticed on social media.

The show is set in 2002 (when the Royals went 62-100 and Neifi Perez was the starting shortstop), so this isn’t a matter of the producers jumping on the bandwagon. Besides, the series takes place in Albuquerque, N.M.

We reached out to a source with AMC, which broadcasts the show, and were told that the T-shirt was was “a choice made with thought and intention.”

That was as much as they would give us, because they don’t want to divulge too much.

If you watched “Breaking Bad,” then you know that every detail of the show is well thought out.

So, let’s hear it. Anyone got a theory on why Kim Wexler is wearing that shirt? Here’s one thought: Since we know Saul ends up in Omaha, maybe she’s from Nebraska and is a Royals fan. Perhaps she runs into him at that Cinnabon at some point in the future.

Or maybe she has a crush on Mike Sweeney — he hit .340 in 2002.

Pete Grathoff:*816-234-4330,*@pgrathoff

Joyce Smith:*816-234-4692,*@JoyceKC

Perhaps she simply loves losers (at the time).
[Reply]
siberian khatru 04:38 PM 03-26-2016
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Perhaps she simply loves losers (at the time).
Nice
[Reply]
notorious 04:43 PM 03-26-2016
It's to show how loyal she is.

She will stick with a loser even if it's a detriment.

She won't leave HHM simply because she is loyal to a fault.
[Reply]
notorious 05:06 PM 03-26-2016
We all know how loyal she will be to Jimmy.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:34 PM 03-28-2016
I disagree.

D&M were totally in bounds being pissed off there.

It doesn't take a firm long to get that 'mid-day advertising ambulance chasers' tag real quickly. D&M may have some massive thriving anti-trust practice or IP law or something equally stuffy where running a mid-day add of a senior citizen acting confused is completely opposite of the culture they've developed and the reputation they've built.

Even the add they did run was extremely dry; again - perhaps a corporate culture thing they've sought to cultivate.

Jimmy was out of bounds there.
Yeah, I rewatched the episode and have a different perspective now. I was totally wrong. I work in Marketing so I should have known better. My original point was that Jimmy wasn't trying to be slippery and I believe that. I think he was legitimately trying to follow the rules and don't think he realized he was being slippery in this case.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 10:11 PM 03-28-2016
Yeup.

I'll take my mid-tier firm and the worry that the loss a single substantial client could submarine our entire practice over slogging through that silk-stocking horseshit.

Folks - that's simply the way massive practices work. Even as Kim is talking to the new firm, I'm sitting there thinking "okay, they're going to buy you out of your law school debt and probably pay in in the $150K range, so they're probably going to want 2,200 billables out of you and I figure that's gonna take you 3,400 hours of work, a lot of it pretty tedious. You'll probably also be expected to be a rainmaker if they put you on a partnership track at a mega-firm."

Man....**** all of that.

This show captures the reality of firm politics better than any legal show I've ever seen and it's funny how quickly everyone watching it thinks to themselves '****, why would anyone subject themselves to this....'

Why indeed. There's a reason lawyers have the worst job satisfaction rates of pretty much any profession. Divorce rates and alcoholism are through the roof as well. The job chews you up and spits you out if you'll let it.
Hold on a minute! I watch "Suits"!

You mean every lawyer doesn't have a life just like Harvey Specter's?
[Reply]
BWillie 11:51 PM 03-28-2016
I despise Mikes daughter in law. Shes sooo willing to take hand outs, for no real good reason. She has one kid, a job, and lives in a super affordable part of the country. Booofrickinwho
[Reply]
MikeMaslowski 07:05 AM 03-29-2016
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I despise Mikes daughter in law. Shes sooo willing to take hand outs, for no real good reason. She has one kid, a job, and lives in a super affordable part of the country. Booofrickinwho
Half-measures haunting him. It is not for her at all either. He knows what a (insert meanie name here) she is.
[Reply]
Page 56 of 172
« First < 6465253545556 5758596066106156 > Last »
Up