ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's have an updated smart phone discussion
gblowfish 03:17 PM 07-14-2017
I'm about ready to take the plunge to update my phones. My phone is ancient (hey, I use it for a phone) but I'd like to update to a couple Iphone 6 or 7 models on an unlimited plan. How big a deal is the storage in an I-Phone? is 32GB generally enough if you primarily use it as a frickin' phone? I'd also like it to serve as a mobile wifi hot spot if possible.

I've only been paying Sprint about $95 a month for two lines. My wife does text but I don't. I do most of my internet stuff on my laptop or IPad, but would like to have internet access at places like Arrowhead on my phone.

So, who's currently got the best deal?

I know Verizon's customer data just got hacked.

I've been with Sprint for 20 years but would leave for a better deal. Certainly don't feel obligated to stay with them.

TMobile seems pretty decent. Two lines unlimited for $80 total.

Boost says they use Sprint's Network but looks like kind of like a cheezy back door kinda company.

Anybody got a plan or service currently that they love?
[Reply]
Spott 03:24 PM 07-14-2017
I have had my IPhone 5s for 2 1/2 years and 32GB is plenty of space. I'm nowhere close to using even half of it. I only have a few apps and use it primarily as a phone and take some pics sometimes. As far as plans, I have no idea who is cheaper because I get a large employee discount since I work for the phone company.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:25 PM 07-14-2017
Sprint and T-Mobile are going to be your best options if cost is your main concern. I'm not a huge fan of Sprint due to a dead zone at my house, but if you've used them for years and generally have coverage where you need it, I don't know any strong reason to switch.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:28 PM 07-14-2017
Straight Talk wireless here. iPhone SE was $159 and unlimited text/talk/data is $40/month.
[Reply]
Coach 08:06 PM 07-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sprint and T-Mobile are going to be your best options if cost is your main concern. I'm not a huge fan of Sprint due to a dead zone at my house, but if you've used them for years and generally have coverage where you need it, I don't know any strong reason to switch.
Yeah, I have Sprint for about 7 years now, and I don't have any issues with them. The last 2 years where I changed my plan to 1GB, new phone payment plan, and the monthly plan, all of this was $88 a month. Once the phone payment is paid off, I believe it will drop down to the $64 neighborhood.

As I mentioned above, 1GB of data isn't much, but with pretty much everywhere having Wi-Fi, there isn't really a need for me to have a unlimited data. I do have unlimited text and voice, so that's good enough for me.

The down side is, if you go to some rural areas in KS/MO, it can get frustrating at times because you're on a "Extended Network" area, another word of roaming.

And George, I don't know if you use apps or take a ton of photos/movies or anything on your phone a lot, but since you mentioned that you use your iPad and such, I think a 32GB will be fine for you. The higher GB's are usually for people who like to download music and stuff, while having like 50+ apps.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 08:17 PM 07-14-2017
Why would you want an I(nferior)Phone? I guess they're okay. They are idiot proof. But androids can do so much more.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 08:25 PM 07-14-2017
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
Why would you want an I(nferior)Phone? I guess they're okay. They are idiot proof. But androids can do so much more.
I'll bite. Do more what? My whole house has iPhones and I was last to get one because it makes things easier have the same brand. What do androids do that's so different other than you don't need iTunes. I hate iTunes.
[Reply]
Coach 08:48 PM 07-14-2017
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I have used iPhone first, then switched over to Android. I have regretted going to Android in the first place.

Never am going back to Android.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:08 PM 07-14-2017
Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy:
I'll bite. Do more what? My whole house has iPhones and I was last to get one because it makes things easier have the same brand. What do androids do that's so different other than you don't need iTunes. I hate iTunes.
I would say a better argument is that you can do the same on Android for a bit less money. $160 for a pair of wireless ear phones is an example.

I have an iPhone but bought an Android tablet because I didn't want to fight iTunes over how to watch movies offline on airplanes. .

For music I stream Google Play.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:00 PM 07-14-2017
I'm pretty sure you guys on outdated plans need to upgrade to the new unlimited plans. Once Verizon came out with their unlimited data plan, every other carrier followed suit and slashed their plan prices to make sure they are well above Verizon.

I was paying almost $30 more a month on an old unlimited plan through Sprint for months. They weren't going to plan on telling me I could get a superior plan at a less of a cost as long as I kept paying the man.
[Reply]
007 12:20 AM 07-15-2017
Cricket here. Five phones for $100 per month. 4gb of high speed bandwidth per phone per month then it drops to slow speeds at an unlimited rate.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 12:30 AM 07-15-2017
Originally Posted by :
I know Verizon's customer data just got hacked.
What's the deal here? I have been Verizon for years and have not heard this? Guess I need to burn up google and see what's up:-)

Oh, and I can't help you on smart phone options. I might be the last human being on the planet with an old flip phone. I love it!! The wife upgraded to whatever was hot stuff around last June-ish. I hate her phone, I try not to even touch it. I will admit it is nice for the picture jokes my buddies send that have words. My screen is so crappy I cant read them, so I forward them to her phone and then look at them:-)
[Reply]
gblowfish 05:56 AM 07-15-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'm pretty sure you guys on outdated plans need to upgrade to the new unlimited plans. Once Verizon came out with their unlimited data plan, every other carrier followed suit and slashed their plan prices to make sure they are well above Verizon.

I was paying almost $30 more a month on an old unlimited plan through Sprint for months. They weren't going to plan on telling me I could get a superior plan at a less of a cost as long as I kept paying the man.
I'll bet this is my situation for sure.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:46 AM 07-15-2017
Check out Republic Wireless. No iPhones, but great prices and plans.
[Reply]
ChiefsHawk 08:02 AM 07-15-2017
The thing with iphones is the memory is limited to the phone to which you purchase, 64, 128, 256gb ect. but you can back up the phone to icloud or a computer with itunes and remove the pictures and what not on your phone to create more space. just remember that those unlimited plans dont include the cost of the phone or taxes. im currently on the unlimited plan for verizon and all of us have iphones 7 and iphones 7 plus's and the average cost per line is $94. As for quality the ios on iphones is waaaay more reliable than the droid os
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up