ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 98
< 123 45671353 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>MELLINGER: Should The Chiefs Move On From Smith?
OnTheWarpath15 12:35 PM 01-17-2017
Yep, another Alex Smith thread - but a solid and fair read from Sam Mellinger.

Originally Posted by :
The only way forward is through brutal honesty and realistic self-evaluation. No sport moves as quickly, or with such little empathy, as the NFL.

Only fools assume what happened in the past will continue to happen in the future, unless that assumption is “the Patriots will win every year from now until armageddon because Bill Belichick is an alien.”

And so it is that this particular group of Chiefs players and executives attempt to solve a puzzle that no group of Chiefs players and executives has solved since 1970, which is so long ago CBS erased the tape to save money:

Get to the Super Bowl.

And it’s hard to believe that will happen without addressing the quarterback situation.

This is not a call for the Chiefs to walk away from Alex Smith, even though this is the first offseason since his arrival in which they could do it without a fatal salary cap hit. This is a call for them to look, to try, to make sure they don’t have access to a better option — whether that’s Tony Romo in a trade, Deshaun Watson in the draft (which would almost certainly require a trade up), or anything else.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...#storylink=cpy
[Reply]
O.city 01:06 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58:
Alex Smith isn't taking this team to the SB next year either - so we can either keep watering the tree, or do something to address the QB position for the future.

Everyone keeps bringing up the point that the last "X" AFCCG's have been some combination of Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger - but we're not even bothering to look at what is "behind us".

Carr, Mariota and Luck have the ability (not saying they will, but they could) to be the next generation's version - while we keep trying to get by with average QB play and hoping that the Defense and Special Teams bail us out week after week after week.
I agree.

If they want to keep Smith another year, with the guy sitting behind him fine. I'd rather play the rookie, but I get it.

I also think we're getting ahead of ourselves with the next crop of QBs.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:06 PM 01-17-2017
I like the thought of trading Smith to the Jets & drafting a QB while going with Foles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
kcxiv 01:07 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by oldman:
As much as I would've liked Romo here, the 2017 version of him scares me. Too brittle and old. Just say no to Foles, the back up QB is always the most popular guy on the team when the team loses. And don't start with Geno.
Thats the whole point of Romo, he's brittle. He's gonna get hurt which causes the Chiefs to hopefully draft one.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:08 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
Thats the whole point of Romo, he's brittle. He's gonna get hurt which causes the Chiefs to hopefully draft one.
Come on man.....you know damn well that they'll just consider it a fluke. Then they'll draft an offensive lineman because HE NEEDS MORE PROTECTION!!!!111!!!
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:09 PM 01-17-2017
Alex Smith isn't taking this team to the SB next year either - so we can either keep watering the tree, or do something to address the QB position for the future.

Everyone keeps bringing up the point that the last "X" AFCCG's have been some combination of Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger - but we're not even bothering to look at what is "behind us".

Carr, Mariota and Luck have the ability (not saying they will, but they could) to be the next generation's version - while we keep trying to get by with average QB play and hoping that the Defense and Special Teams bail us out week after week after week.
Yes but read what I wrote. My suggestion of getting Romo puts you in super bowl contention next year and allows a rookie QB time to developes. Though there's not many QBs in this draft that excite me and it does seem like this will be classic CP. We need a QB! And cum over guys like Clausen, Barkley, Smith etc. Mahomes fits the bill.
[Reply]
KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN 01:09 PM 01-17-2017
Alex has to move on. He has peaked as a quarterback. If he starts for us next year the fans will just be waiting for the hammer to drop come playoff time. He needs a new environment and the Chiefs need a new leader. It's time to face reality and start the next chapter in Kansas City football.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:09 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
Come on man.....you know damn well that they'll just consider it a fluke. Then they'll draft an offensive lineman because HE NEEDS MORE PROTECTION!!!!111!!!
Only if we have the first pick in the first round...
[Reply]
Hydrae 01:10 PM 01-17-2017
No to Romo, too fragile and way, way, way too expensive!
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:10 PM 01-17-2017
This is all you need to read.

Originally Posted by :
The problem is that Smith may be the worst quarterback a team can win a Super Bowl with in today’s NFL. The problem is that he can help everyone get where they need to be safely, but playoff games usually require a bus driver instead of a crossing guard.

[Reply]
kcxiv 01:37 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
naw he's 36. He's not young, but it wont happen. lol
[Reply]
gold_and_red 01:38 PM 01-17-2017
The moment you draft a high round QB to sit behind your incumbent 33 year old who just played in the quarter finals of a championship, the message is clear that Smith is on borrowed time and that you don't really think he can get you further. Any time Smith has a bad game (which he certainly will) the chants will be for the rookie to step in, a constant distraction to an already QB starved team.

I just think that if at all the Chiefs are drafting a 1st round QB it will be better to start him and have Foles be the backup. If they aren't then shore up other positions, play out the season with Smith with the customary one and done and cut him. Have the rookie and Foles (if he still wants to stick around) for 2018.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:43 PM 01-17-2017
I forsee a repeat of the 2005 draft.

QB falls to us....and we go ILB.
[Reply]
Fish 01:44 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by gold_and_red:
The moment you draft a high round QB to sit behind your incumbent 33 year old who just played in the quarter finals of a championship, the message is clear that Smith is on borrowed time and that you don't really think he can get you further. Any time Smith has a bad game (which he certainly will) the chants will be for the rookie to step in, a constant distraction to an already QB starved team.
Yeah, no shit. That's called competition. Chiefs fans aren't really used to the concept as it applies to QBs...
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:45 PM 01-17-2017
There's something that bugs me about Alex. I saw pretty much the same thing with Grbac. His body language when he's behind in a game is terrible. He huddles up with his QB coach with his nose in his little blue tablet, never has conversations with his skill guys on the sidelines; never talks to Maclin or Kelce or Hill or Ware or anybody between series. And if they get behind he kind of trudges out onto the field with his head down into the huddle. I don't think he's the kind of guy who can motivate his team mates. If you watch Brady, or Rodgers, or Rapitsburger, or Luck, or Stafford, or Wilson.....or....or....or...just about ANY other starting QB worth a damn, they interact with their skill guys during the game.

Grbac was the same way. He'd just wander off in his own little world on the sidelines, never spoke to any of the other guys, just to the coaches. Seemed like he didn't want to be bothered by any of the player's opinions. Maybe that's because he calls the plays, and doesn't want any back talk. Dunno, but I do know his leadership skills were shit.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:46 PM 01-17-2017

The Chiefs could bring in Alshon Jeffery to complement Maclin and Kelce, get a healthy Jamaal Charles playing 75% of the abilities he had in 2013/2014 and hit on every defensive draft pick to fill holes from DJ and Hali being old as fuck as well as either Poe or Berry leaving and it still wouldn't make Kansas City a Super Bowl contender with Smith at QB.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 98
< 123 45671353 > Last »
Up