ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>One of the DTs falls.
Direckshun 08:44 AM 04-23-2024
I just got done saying in Couch-Potato's thread that it irritates me when people say the Chiefs need to go out and get a stud DT.

They don't need one -- they have Chris Jones for years, and the rest of the DT room is bodied out pretty well for 2024.

But I've done two simulator mocks this morning, and in one of them, Bryon Murphy falls for some reason to 32, and I just did another one where Jer'Zhan falls.

Do you pull the trigger on either player, should they fall?
[Reply]
RunKC 11:32 AM 04-23-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Problem is that I think those are all juuuuuuust a little out of range.

But yeah - that's a JIMP of a draft. I just see Pearsal, Amegadjie and Sweat all going in those rounds, but about 10-12 picks ahead of us.
Weren’t you on the Tez Walker train DJ? I think that he’s gonna be a strong option on round 2 along with Legette. Feels like they need a replacement for what MVS does on the outside and a YAC guy with the body of a true outside WR.

Feels like one of those 2 would be ideal 2nd rd options
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:34 AM 04-23-2024
I'm far from a good scout. But Amegadjie seems like a project worth trying out if the board doesn't work out.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:41 AM 04-23-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm seeing the DUI push Sweat into the 4th on occasion.

I know it's kinda silly, but man - I'd have a hard time not nerding out over getting Newton and Sweat in here to anchor the middle of that line for a half-decade. And yes, I know that puts a ceiling of sorts on Newton but you can get 40 snaps/gm rotating him in for Sweat on passing downs or in for Jones when Jones kicks out wide.

And Jones may need to spend more time outside as he gets a little older just to take some of the beating off him.

If your interior line rotation becomes Jones/Newton/Sweat/Farrell/Wharton then you can likely still get a fair amount of juice from each of those guys.

It's just hard to convince myself that we could have too much talent there. That kind of interior production makes things so much easier for everyone else. Really moreso than any other spot on the defense, IMO.

And if you can still use the 2nd and 3rd rounds to target WR and probably developmental OL (even if it's a OG long-term) then it's hard to complain about that total return.
The question is really whether or not you feel you can get similar production in a rotational role from a different prospect later in the draft. I think you could.

I like Michael Hall or Ruke Orhororo in the 2nd, DeWayne Carter in the 4th, and Justin Eboigbe, Jaden Crumedy, and Marcus Harris in the 5th as rotational guys who can get after the QB.

If I can pair that with a higher-quality WR or OL in 1, I'd feel like I'm winning. I wouldn't be opposed to a back-to-back double-dip at DT in the mid-rounds, like Sweat in 3 and Carter in 4 or something like that.

I just don't think this is the year to burn a first (again) on a rotational defensive lineman. I would agree it's a good year to visit the position and push out some of this 1-year contract, and sub-par depth we have.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:00 PM 04-23-2024
I don’t agree at all that the rest of the DT room after Jones is sufficient. Aside from CJ the rest of the DT room is a significant weakness IMO. OT and WR are the top 2 needs as far as I see it, but if a stud DT is available and they are BPA I’d have no issue with taking them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:06 PM 04-23-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Weren’t you on the Tez Walker train DJ? I think that he’s gonna be a strong option on round 2 along with Legette. Feels like they need a replacement for what MVS does on the outside and a YAC guy with the body of a true outside WR.

Feels like one of those 2 would be ideal 2nd rd options
Yeah - Walker is my Rice this year.

Rice was a guy I had targeted in the 2nd round and the pick I most wanted us to make (1st round had become an afterthought for me; didn't like the way it was shaping up and it turned out exactly as I had feared).

So I focused on what we could do in the 2nd and Rice was my guy. Walker is this year's version of that and why I'm reluctant to go WR in the 1st.

Because I think Walker will be a steal for us if we take him in the 2nd. And I think a small trade up would likely be required; just as we had to do with Rice last season.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up