ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 15
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Mitchell Schwartz has surgery
siberian khatru 10:10 AM 02-24-2021

Injury Update: I’m getting surgery today. I was hoping to recover enough to get back for playoffs/Super Bowl but that didn’t happen. It’s time to address the issue. The recovery process isn’t too long, which is nice. Looking forward to a healthy 2021! #Chiefs #ChiefsKingdom pic.twitter.com/etGfSoCCd6

— Mitchell Schwartz (@MitchSchwartz71) February 24, 2021

[Reply]
staylor26 12:47 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There's no doubt that Niang has upside but without rookie minicamps, OTA's, in building workouts and normal minicamps, he's going to be way behind the curve, especially since he won't have played football at a high level in two years.

It's not as if he played at Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or any other SEC or Big Ten school at a high level. The dude played in the Big 12, which is known for shitty defenses.

I just don't see how the Chiefs can pencil in that guy at this point in time as a starter, unless it's due to necessity.
No, he didn’t play at Ohio St., but he had a better game against Young/Bosa than just about anybody. Competition is not a concern at all with Niang.

He also played football in 2019, so he’ll really only miss one year of football.

And it’s not like he’s been sitting on his ass. He’s been working out and looks to be healthy and in shape.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 12:48 PM 02-24-2021
Fisher will not be back this year, and if by some miracle he was, he won't be playing at a 100% coming off the Achilles repair. Just write him off for 2021 cause if you put him out there he's gonna get Pat killed. So you've got to find a solution there. Niang isn't it and he hasn't played competitive football in almost 2 years (by time season starts) and he never played LT in college. He'll be a backup and a role player until he learns the offense. The only way he plays with any regularity this year is due to unexpected injuries. Probably a cheap one year FA deal is the way to go here, as I fully expect them to extend Fisher with a really low number for this year and they'll be expecting him, again, to be the starting LT going into 2022.

Sounds like Schwartz WILL be back, so that's good news at least. But I don't expect him to totally be the same guy either, they'll probably be at least a little bit of drop off. LDT will get his spot back, we know that. So that leaves them to figure out center (they're NOT re-signing Reiter) and LG. Allegreti can probably fill the LG spot as he looked decent in his limited opportunities there this year. So that leaves center and you're probably looking at the draft to find a guy that can start Day 1 or has the versatility to play along the IOL. They could also sign a CHEAP veteran C to be a stop-gap till they felt comfortable with whoever they end up drafting.

But this WHOLE puzzle and mess of an O-Line looks a lot better going into this year if Mitch is back day one and healthy. Keeping fingers crossed . . . . . . .
[Reply]
BossChief 12:51 PM 02-24-2021
There's no doubt that Niang has upside but without rookie minicamps, OTA's, in building workouts and normal minicamps, he's going to be way behind the curve, especially since he won't have played football at a high level in two years.

It's not as if he played at Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or any other SEC or Big Ten school at a high level. The dude played in the Big 12, which is known for shitty defenses.

I just don't see how the Chiefs can pencil in that guy at this point in time as a starter, unless it's due to necessity.
I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree.

Niang gave Bosa and Young everything they could handle.

If he was in this draft, he’d be a first rounder.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:53 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Fisher will not be back this year, and if by some miracle he was, he won't be playing at a 100% coming off the Achilles repair. Just write him off for 2021 cause if you put him out there he's gonna get Pat killed. So you've got to find a solution there. Niang isn't it and he hasn't played competitive football in almost 2 years (by time season starts) and he never played LT in college. He'll be a backup and a role player until he learns the offense. The only way he plays with any regularity this year is due to unexpected injuries. Probably a cheap one year FA deal is the way to go here, as I fully expect them to extend Fisher with a really low number for this year and they'll be expecting him, again, to be the starting LT going into 2022.

Sounds like Schwartz WILL be back, so that's good news at least. But I don't expect him to totally be the same guy either, they'll probably be at least a little bit of drop off. LDT will get his spot back, we know that. So that leaves them to figure out center (they're NOT re-signing Reiter) and LG. Allegreti can probably fill the LG spot as he looked decent in his limited opportunities there this year. So that leaves center and you're probably looking at the draft to find a guy that can start Day 1 or has the versatility to play along the IOL. They could also sign a CHEAP veteran C to be a stop-gap till they felt comfortable with whoever they end up drafting.

But this WHOLE puzzle and mess of an O-Line looks a lot better going into this year if Mitch is back day one and healthy. Keeping fingers crossed . . . . . . .
Allegreti was good in the run game, but he was pretty bad as a pass protector.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:57 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Well, sounds like there's at least some hope. A little frustrating that the surgery didn't happen months ago.
This times 1000....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:00 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree.

If he was in this draft, he’d be a first rounder.
But he's been out of football for nearly 2 years and has zero NFL experience.

The guy certainly has upside but ideally, he begins the season on the bench so that he has time to become familiar with the scheme, terminology and speed of the NFL.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:11 PM 02-24-2021
But he's been out of football for nearly 2 years and has zero NFL experience.

The guy certainly has upside but ideally, he begins the season on the bench so that he has time to become familiar with the scheme, terminology and speed of the NFL.
Then who is starting opening night at LT if it’s not Niang or Fisher?

That’s where it gets tricky.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:15 PM 02-24-2021

Cam Robinson or Rankin
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:17 PM 02-24-2021

There's plenty of time for the Chiefs to answer that question.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:18 PM 02-24-2021

Could be Remmers, Rankin, or any free agent really.
[Reply]
penguinz 01:25 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by TRR:
Unless it’s a partial tear for Fisher, he’s not coming back mid season, and shouldn’t be counted on at all for next season.
This could not be more wrong. He should be good by the opener.

If he was anywhere other than O-Line then that would be different.
[Reply]
carcosa 01:29 PM 02-24-2021
My mindset on this is: I'm assuming he won't be back, and if he does come back he won't be nearly as good as he used to be. But if he does come back at close to 100%... that's huge!!!
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:34 PM 02-24-2021

Oh FFS, if i got to read this one more goddamn time....

I swear to god if Niang passes away it's gonna say, "Gave Bosa and Young all they could handle" on his tombstone.
[Reply]
Stryker 01:34 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
No, he didn’t play at Ohio St., but he had a better game against Young/Bosa than just about anybody. Competition is not a concern at all with Niang.

He also played football in 2019, so he’ll really only miss one year of football.

And it’s not like he’s been sitting on his ass. He’s been working out and looks to be healthy and in shape.
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:37 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
This is some Eric Berry tier shit.
Meh. The end of that saga was Berry opting not to have surgery on an injury that kept him out for almost the entire season.

Schwartz’ prognosis makes sense to me. Back injuries are unpredictable and most doctors recommend avoiding surgery at all costs unless there’s no other choice.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 15
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up