ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>It's Great to Have Friends
gblowfish 06:30 PM 02-21-2021
I am not handy. I'm just not. Which is weird, because I've been a home owner for almost 30 years. I know enough to be dangerous about a lot of stuff, but I've also learned what I can do and what I need help with. I built combines for Allis-Chalmers in the late 1970s, but even with that experience twisting a wrench and shooting rivets into sheet metal, I'm just not good at plumbing, or carpentry, or electric or....well...anything. My pal Mr. Doggity came over this afternoon hung a new LED work light in my kitchen. He said "EZ Peazy...it'll take us 20 minutes." I know better. My house is a giant fun house of frustration. It took a trip to the hardware store and almost two hours. But we got it done. Do you have a repair friend that you call when you need help? I have a couple, and I'm grateful to have them as friends. His fee was a six pack of Boulevard Irish Ale, and I'm taking out for lunch next week. Deal!
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:54 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I'm the one all you useless mother****ers call.
Is like exactly 3 grapes peeled, please
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:56 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Is like exactly 3 grapes peeled, please
Very well, but I use a high speed rotary tool for that, and all you'll end up with is mess on your kitchen counter. And cabinets. And ceiling.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 07:59 PM 02-21-2021
I'm the friend everyone calls. It's a blessing and a curse
[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 PM 02-21-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Rule my father taught me at a young age helping him with household projects, especially plumbing -

Start early on a Saturday and expect no less than 3 trips to the hardware store.

Back then though, hardware stores closed at noon on Saturdays.
Ha. That's pretty accurate. I thinking I took about 8 trips in one weekend while laying some flooring in my bathroom. Hadn't ever done it before and just never knew what I didn't know at each step.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:29 PM 02-21-2021
I pretty much re-did our 1903 farm house myself. I am so glad I did it when I was younger over the span of 25 years.

Knowing your limits is key. I tried to install a staircase bannister years ago after we tore out a wall. After hours with no success, I call a carpenter. Ezy Pezy for him.

I have used Eagle Scouts lately for grunt work. They are willing to help and besides paying them $15/hour, pizza and Root Beer, I have developed some friendships with the younger folks. They like to help and get away.

As to hardware stores, after hours or on Sundays, my town rolls up the sidewalks. It takes me 1 hour one way to get to a Lowes. There is no way I could do 8 trips in one weekend:-)

Also, having the right tools helps a bunch. My Dad taught me that. I settled on one brand of cordless tools, Ridgid. They all use the same batteries. You can find them lightly used on Ebay for cheap.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:29 PM 02-21-2021
"Knowledge is knowing how to change a flat tire, wisdom is doing it"

That said, know your limitations.

I prolly made 10-15 trips to the hardware store when I was building my bike.
[Reply]
cabletech94 06:02 AM 02-22-2021
I'm the one all you useless mother****ers call.
^ guilty!!!

:-)
[Reply]
Kman34 06:56 AM 02-22-2021
All three of my son-in-laws are useless around the house as far as fixing stuff.. So who do you guess my daughters call to help???
[Reply]
HayWire 07:13 AM 02-22-2021
I'm the one all you useless motherfuckers call.
Very much this. I grew up on a farm and my grandpa was a stickler about fixing everything himself.
I do the same thing to my kids...I won't fix it for you but I'll help and teach you how.

Damn, I sound like an old asshole
[Reply]
scho63 07:18 AM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I once tried to match paint and fix some holes in the paint myself.

Hoo boy, that was a mistake.

Got some dude off craigslist and he did it for $50.
You should have just called Billay and had him plug your holes for free. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 07:19 AM 02-22-2021
I'm the one all you useless motherfuckers call.
The social studies teacher with the handyman side business? :-)
[Reply]
ChiTown 07:40 AM 02-22-2021
I do as much as I can, but I’m not that handy. My Dad (may he RIP) and my two older Brothers could fix and build ANYTHING. Me? I was more interested in girls and sports. That’s great when you are a kid, but that sort of focus has a short shelf life.
[Reply]
scho63 07:58 AM 02-22-2021

[Reply]
Pointer19 08:43 AM 02-22-2021
Agreed about how often we underestimate the time a project will take! My dad has taught me a lot of general home improvement skills, but he never fails to assure me how little time helping with a "little project" will take.
[Reply]
burt 09:01 AM 02-22-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Do you have a repair friend that you call when you need help? I have a couple, and I'm grateful to have them as friends. His fee was a six pack of Boulevard Irish Ale, and I'm taking out for lunch next week. Deal!
Turns out I am significantly better at demo than repair. For lunch and some Pale Ale, I'll be glad to come over and fuck some shit up.....
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up