ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3426 of 3903
« First < 2426292633263376341634223423342434253426 3427342834293430343634763526 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
neech 12:29 PM 01-29-2021
The data is close enough not to fret over which manufacturer a person goes with at this point between Moderna and Pfizer so which ever one they have available with they are giving at my work place then that's what I'll go with.

I'll come back with a report when the time comes.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:33 PM 01-29-2021
Some good material

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/we...ts-then-decide
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:46 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm with you provided that we eventually have the option for either of those before J&J is available. If someone said "you're up tomorrow, but only if you get J&J," I'd do it without blinking.
I'm actually not sure I would. I live in deep seclusion right now so if my choice was a 66 percent vaccine now or a 95 percent vaccine in three months, I might wait the three months. I think my odds of getting covid in three months is less than 29 percent (simple math on the difference, probably not accurate, but you get the drift).

But part of my decision is a question that I don't think can be answered right now. If the efficacy is one dice roll and I'm either covered or I'm not, then maybe I'd consider the 66 percent, though I'd still probably wait. But if it's a dice roll every time I'm exposed I'd definitely wait for the 95 percent.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:33 PM 01-29-2021
He called it back in March.

I have thought very long and hard about the best mitigation strategies for the Covid-19 pandemic over the last week ... and reached the conclusion this really is a 'wicked problem'. I believe anyone who believes there are simple fixes didn't think hard enough about it (1/4)

— Prof Francois Balloux (@BallouxFrancois) March 12, 2020

[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 02:39 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm actually not sure I would. I live in deep seclusion right now so if my choice was a 66 percent vaccine now or a 95 percent vaccine in three months, I might wait the three months. I think my odds of getting covid in three months is less than 29 percent (simple math on the difference, probably not accurate, but you get the drift).
It said it reduced severe disease cases by 85%. If severe disease=hospitilization cases, I'd take it. I wouldn't if I was 70 but for me right now, yeah.

Merck shitcanned two vacc's in development. Most regrettably was the pill based vacc failing phase 1.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:29 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
It said it reduced severe disease cases by 85%. If severe disease=hospitilization cases, I'd take it. I wouldn't if I was 70 but for me right now, yeah.

Merck shitcanned two vacc's in development. Most regrettably was the pill based vacc failing phase 1.
Yeah, that's a good point. If it still lets you get it at a higher rate, but it's a mild case, maybe the vaccine plus the natural antibodies makes it as good as the high-efficacy vaccines. I'll still hope that I get the Moderna or Pfizer ones, though.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:11 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm with you provided that we eventually have the option for either of those before J&J is available. If someone said "you're up tomorrow, but only if you get J&J," I'd do it without blinking.
Id also bet that jnj will be prioritized for specific areas. The big advantage is serving areas that lack cold storage infrastructure. The single shot and way cheaper production could be a cheap way to get the vaccine out to poorer communities, many of whom may be more thrilled with one shot vs 2. Also may be great for rural communities which have less danger of spread but also lack cold storage infrastructure.

You'd have to think denser areas with delivery infrastructure would be prioritized for Moderna or Pfizer.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:15 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Id also bet that jnj will be prioritized for specific areas. The big advantage is serving areas that lack cold storage infrastructure. The single shot and way cheaper production could be a cheap way to get the vaccine out to poorer communities, many of whom may be more thrilled with one shot vs 2. Also may be great for rural communities which have less danger of spread but also lack cold storage infrastructure.

You'd have to think denser areas with delivery infrastructure would be prioritized for Moderna or Pfizer.
Yeah, that would make sense. I have a hunch that Pfizer and Moderna will be more common in the USA and Europe, and J&J will go to large populations outside those areas that have less strong infrastructure.
[Reply]
neech 10:19 PM 01-29-2021
Interesting, Novavax and J&J come out with their Covid vaccine news and Novavax went up 64% today while J&J fizzled with -3.5%.
[Reply]
O.city 07:22 AM 01-30-2021
I’m supposed to go to Scotland in July for a golf trip. Anyone think that’s happening ?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:29 AM 01-30-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’m supposed to go to Scotland in July for a golf trip. Anyone think that’s happening ?
I think there's a chance. The UK is on the fastest vaccination pace in Europe, and we're moving along here. If I had to guess I'd say 60% chance it'll work out.

I certainly would wait to cancel assuming your tickets can still be refunded later.
[Reply]
IrishChief 08:38 AM 01-30-2021
Im travelling to America in November. Couple of questions if anyone can help.
1. I will need a PCR test before flying home, how much generally are they and are they widely available?
2. I will be flying internally to a few states, will i need a PCR test for each internal flight?
[Reply]
DaFace 08:54 AM 01-30-2021
Originally Posted by IrishChief:
Im travelling to America in November. Couple of questions if anyone can help.
1. I will need a PCR test before flying home, how much generally are they and are they widely available?
2. I will be flying internally to a few states, will i need a PCR test for each internal flight?
As far as I know, we don't have any shortages of PCR tests at this point. I can go get one from my healthcare provider just about any time. However, I'd imagine you'd have to pay out of pocket for it, so plan on it costing you a little. I'd definitely research HCPs wherever you'll be a few days before the return trip and give them a call to ask about it.

As for travel around the U.S., you won't ever need one to get on a plane, but some states do technically want you to either have a test or quarantine when you get there. Frankly, I think it's unlikely that you would be caught regardless, but it's another one you'll probably want to research.

All that said, I really hope we'll basically be done with this long before November.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:30 AM 01-30-2021
A COVID-19 outbreak among bus drivers and transportation staff has forced Bloomington Public Schools to abruptly move elementary students back to distance learning, less than two weeks after schools reopened for in-person instruction.

The district was one of many in Minnesota that began reopening elementary schools this month following a change in state guidelines. Now, it's the first in the metro area to reverse course because of widespread virus activity. The move comes as other large districts, including Minneapolis and St. Paul, are preparing to bring students back to classrooms and fielding significant safety concerns from teachers and their unions.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:34 AM 01-30-2021
Interesting way to look at j&j give it more for 30 and under?

@jazayerli: Boom. This was the news I was hoping for. It may not seem as effective as Pfizer or Moderna, but it's 1 shot vs. 2, and hospitalization/death from Covid appears almost completely eliminated.

Now let's get this baby approved and in people's arms. And open up the country by May. https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1355140072379613185

@jazayerli: That is my thinking, that we prioritize the J&J vaccine for lower-risk patients, or frankly, anyone who is scared of vaccines and is unlikely to follow up for a second shot. Keep using the Pfizer/Moderna shot on people over 40 and high-risk folks. Mortality should drop fast. https://twitter.com/Mayday814/status...74650460991490
[Reply]
Page 3426 of 3903
« First < 2426292633263376341634223423342434253426 3427342834293430343634763526 > Last »
Up