ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1922 of 3903
« First < 922142218221872191219181919192019211922 192319241925192619321972202224222922 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
kcxiv 11:13 PM 05-06-2020
My county in California, is set to start opening up on Friday. Fuckers here listened.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 01:31 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
My county in California, is set to start opening up on Friday. ****ers here listened.
you're lucky...LA is foooked. Mayor is a complete tard.
[Reply]
loochy 05:43 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Bill Westfall, fighting throat cancer, dies of COVID.

Never heard of her
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:01 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
(sigh)

I could post the Bill Gates interview from early March again to prove this isn't true, but everyone seems to ignore it for some reason.
Maybe because something Bill Gates said in an interview doesn't change the countless other statements made by government and agency officials?
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:04 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Here's a good article that seedy posted in late March that lays out the process we're going through.
From the article.
Ummmmmm........

Originally Posted by :
Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

[Reply]
2112 06:25 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by :
While Elizabeth Aguirre was being treated for coronavirus at Christ Hospital, she kept thinking of the people that depended on her. She had a 4-year-old son at home, and her parents, who lived in Ecuador, relied on the money she sent them.

She was also 20 weeks pregnant with a daughter.

As Aguirre, 40, deteriorated in the hospital, doctors tried many strategies to save her and her unborn daughter: intubation, courses of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, and, for the first time at Christ Hospital, the anti-Ebola medicine remdesivir. On Tuesday, after 24 days in the hospital, she returned home to her family.

All I could do was ask God to give me the opportunity to live through this to take care of my children,” she said through an interpreter.

On March 23, Aguirre, a Union City customer service agent, first noticed her symptoms: fever, chills, headaches, shortness of breath. She was admitted to the Jersey City hospital on March 30.

Aguirre was entering a war zone. Hudson County’s outbreak was still accelerating, and Christ Hospital was dealing with a “tidal wave” of patients, the hospital’s chief medical officer, Dr. Tucker Woods, said in March. The hospital was running critically low on ventilators and protective gear, and patients were being housed in previously unused rooms.

Normally staff saw roughly five or six intubations a day. During the outbreak, more than 20 patients were on ventilators every day.

“I was thinking about all of the things that I saw in the news media, about how many people were dying at that moment,” Aguirre said. “I was very scared.”

Aguirre was assigned to the care of Dr. Shil Patel. A gastroenterology fellow, Patel was not supposed to be taking charge of patients who were critically ill with respiratory diseases. But after the massive influx of coronavirus patients, Patel agreed to brush up on his general medicine and step in.

“There was a period of time where I (was) just reading like a madman, trying to catch up on if there’s anything new that I’ve been missing,” Patel said.

Taking care of Aguirre was “a little nerve-wracking,” he said, “in her case particularly because she’s pregnant.”

“I’d already seen quite a (number) of patients not doing so well, and unfortunately not even making it,” he said. “I didn’t want her, obviously, to be another one of those patients."

Aguirre was isolated and put on high-flow oxygen. Because her pregnancy was still early, Patel said the doctors’ attention was focused on saving her life. If her condition took a turn for the worse, it would be extremely difficult to save the baby. She remembers being told that her chances of recovery were low.

Patel hoped that Aguirre would follow a path that they’d seen in some other patients: “We would essentially support her, take care of her until her symptoms (peaked)," he said. "And she would ease her way into again normalizing.”

Instead, Aguirre’s condition deteriorated. Doctors tried the antimalarial hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin, with little effect. On April 2, she was put on a ventilator. Doctors say they’ve learned that once patients are intubated with a ventilator, it’s extremely difficult to get them off again. Many die on the machines.

Aguirre’s doctors had already decided to explore other avenues. They’d heard that California-based pharmaceutical company Gilead was offering the drug remdesivir, which was initially developed to treat Ebola, for compassionate use, meaning that the drug could be used to treat severely ill patients as a last resort.

At that point, using remdesivir was granted on a case-by-case basis, and was allowed for only two categories of patient: children and pregnant women.

But figuring out how to secure the drug was another challenge.

“I was like, all right, how the hell do I do this?” Patel said. “Our hospital is not one of those big hospitals. We don’t even have departments that (are) familiar with this.”

Patel contacted Gilead, which sent instructions: Aguirre would need to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and that approval would then need to be sent to Gilead, which would then send a course of the medicine. Some 36 hours and one sleepless night later, Patel succeeded in acquiring the drug.

The remdesivir arrived in time to start treating Aguirre just a day or two after she was intubated.

After the drug was administered, Aguirre improved. Her breathing got stronger, and she stopped depending on the ventilator. She was extubated after just three days on the machine.

“I just remember that I just continuously kept breathing to help my lungs get better,” Aguirre said. “I was just thinking to breathe.”

She spent the next 18 days in the hospital in what Patel calls a “recovery phase.” On April 23, she was discharged. For fear of spreading the disease, Aguirre instead went to stay at her mother-in-law’s home. She still needs oxygen for most of the day, but her breathing is improving, and her gynecologist told her that the baby’s heart is healthy.

Patel is wary of attributing her recovery to remdesivir, though the hospital has expanded its use of the drug.

“It’s hard to tell if it was just the course of the disease, because she was still a relatively young patient, or if it was the drug itself,” he said.

On Tuesday, Aguirre received the results of her last coronavirus test: negative. For the first time in a month, she was able to come home and see her husband and son.

“I was crying. He was crying,” she said. “I’m very happy that I’m cured.”

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/05/wh...mans-life.html
[Reply]
Monticore 06:41 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by 2112:
https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/05/wh...mans-life.html
Pretty scary stuff , the fact a gastroenterologist had to care for her is scary, she was young, not sure if she had other pre existing conditions other than pregnancy, in the end two lives saved
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 06:47 AM 05-07-2020
“At that point, using remdesivir was granted on a case-by-case basis, and was allowed for only two categories of patient: children and pregnant women.“

This is troubling.
[Reply]
Monticore 06:49 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
“At that point, using remdesivir was granted on a case-by-case basis, and was allowed for only two categories of patient: children and pregnant women.“

This is troubling.
That was pretty early on before some of their trials it has been granted use in more cases I think.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:52 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Nice tap out attempt

[Reply]
stevieray 06:57 AM 05-07-2020
did you hear about the President of Tanzania?

Had tests done on a goat and a pawpaw, which he gave human names and ages..... and they came back positive.

Something's amiss here.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:00 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
That was pretty early on before some of their trials it has been granted use in more cases I think.
I’m still troubled by the fact that in a life and death situation a competent adult can’t consent to using an experimental treatment, and that the treatment was available only for a certain class of people. If the husband was also sick, he likely wouldn’t have gotten it and thus had a greater chance of dying.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 07:03 AM 05-07-2020
It’s crazy how sick people get from this even when they survive. 18 days in the hospital plus still recovering. It's mind boggling compared to normal cold/flu season sickness.

I've only had 1 time I missed more than 1 day of work due to being ill. It's hard to imagine telling your boss, sorry I missed the last month of work, I got sick.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:09 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
It’s crazy how sick people get from this even when they survive. 18 days in the hospital plus still recovering. It's mind boggling compared to normal cold/flu season sickness.

I've only had 1 time I missed more than 1 day of work due to being ill. It's hard to imagine telling your boss, sorry I missed the last month of work, I got sick.
A very very very very small portion of people get that sick.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:15 AM 05-07-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
A very very very very small portion of people get that sick.
So they don’t count , cool
[Reply]
Page 1922 of 3903
« First < 922142218221872191219181919192019211922 192319241925192619321972202224222922 > Last »
Up