ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1872 of 3903
« First < 872137217721822186218681869187018711872 187318741875187618821922197223722872 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 09:43 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Yeah, no.
You're captain pessimist. This is every bit as ridiculous as the "we'll reopen the economy and everything will be normal" stuff.

It may not look exactly the same, but life will return when we're past this thing. There will be businesses that go out of business, and other businesses that replace them or pop up, people who lose everything, and people who take this opportunity to start new businesses and succeed... and things won't be exactly the same as before, but that's how it works.

Even generally, humans have survived plagues and wars and all kinds things that are far worse than this.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:44 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
WHAT? Do you understand what it is you are saying or are you just being obtuse? Using your logic, which is completely based in fear, there is no point in re-opening any business at all because it might not stay open.
I didn't say not to open them but if you do it at the wrong time it could be worse, like maybe while we are still at the top of the mountain.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:46 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
You don't think we're going to recover from this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hand

And further, I can think of multiple reasons why extrapolating what happened after the Spanish Flu means absolute fuck all to the present day, but I haven't had the urge to get banned from this thread yet.

But basically you have to be a monumentally optimistic clown to think the average US citizen will recover from this.

There's a lot of people thinking their cushy WFH white collar jobs are safe right now.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 09:46 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The vitamin D thing is interesting. There's some evidence there atleast.
and sunlight and vitamins are cheap if it helps
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:46 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
The point is it seems to have only become an issue all of a sudden for some when there was already a problem.
You dont think a doubling in the projected number of people starving to death is a problem? 125MM+ more?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:48 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
people who take this opportunity to start new businesses and succeed
2008 kneecapped small business activity for almost a decade.

This is worse.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:49 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Of course I hope it does. I hope the virus moves toward a less virulent strain, or we come up with a better treatment plan to reduce deaths. Who doesn't hope that? That's ridiculous.

The reality that existed before this thing was never going to continue. I said that two months ago. Some people have a hard time accepting that, and I get that. It sucks. But it's reality.

But at the same time, we came out of the 1918 flu and had the roaring 20s. This isn't the end of the world, and we'll rebuild the areas that collapse. But it's going to be a painful road. And everyone can bicker as much as they want, it's not going to get back to "normal" until people can go outside and not be worried about catching this thing. That's the long and short of it.

Yep x1 billion
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 05-05-2020
I think we were off in trying to estimate a total IFR for this thing. It's gonna vary greatly from place to place.

It may end up being 1.0 in NY ( I doubt that I'm guessing more .8) but could be say, .2 in KC or .03 in some rural area.

There's just so many factors in play.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:50 AM 05-05-2020

This is worse.
Entirely different.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:52 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You dont think a doubling in the projected number of people starving to death is a problem? 125MM+ more?
it is , and it is hard to discuss it without going into politics.
[Reply]
Donger 09:53 AM 05-05-2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hand

And further, I can think of multiple reasons why extrapolating what happened after the Spanish Flu means absolute **** all to the present day, but I haven't had the urge to get banned from this thread yet.

But basically you have to be a monumentally optimistic clown to think the average US citizen will recover from this.

There's a lot of people thinking their cushy WFH white collar jobs are safe right now.
That's hardly specific. Are you thinking we'll be like The Road Warrior, or something?

It's already painful for many people and it will continue to be painful. But, I think it should be remembered that this wasn't a downturn based on economics (e.g. dot.com bust, mortgage fun, etc.). Jobs weren't lost for any of those reasons. They'll come back, and least the vast majority of them. And we'll recover.

Call me an optimist. We've done it before. We'll do it again.
[Reply]
O.city 09:53 AM 05-05-2020
I'm also interested to see the outcome of targeting lockdowns vs large scale ones. Everyone brings up Sweden but I think you could intelligently do it while lowering the IFR to a reasonable level and keeping economic levels reasonable as well.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:55 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Did you manage to buy your playbar while it was on sale?
Don't get me started....Wife wants other things first
[Reply]
tk13 09:57 AM 05-05-2020

This is worse.
Well I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole, because there's no way to have that conversation without getting into politics. I don't think any administration in our life time really valued small business over the continued growth of large industry and chains.

But in general I agree, there are going to be a ton of small businesses go out because of this. And there will be others that pop up in their place. That's our economy.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:00 AM 05-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
That's hardly specific. Are you thinking we'll be like The Road Warrior, or something?

It's already painful for many people and it will continue to be painful. But, I think it should be remembered that this wasn't a downturn based on economics (e.g. dot.com bust, mortgage fun, etc.). Jobs weren't lost for any of those reasons. They'll come back, and least the vast majority of them. And we'll recover.

Call me an optimist. We've done it before. We'll do it again.
Less "Mad Max" and more "Goodbye Lenin."
[Reply]
Page 1872 of 3903
« First < 872137217721822186218681869187018711872 187318741875187618821922197223722872 > Last »
Up