ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Any George Lynch fans out there??
petegz28 08:33 PM 09-19-2012

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:53 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Kerberos:
Dane

Not to bring up old topics but the videos posted on the EVH 5150 III ....Is it built like the "Brick Shithouse" EVH is claiming? To watch these video's he makes them sound almost indestructible???
Yes, they're extremely well built amps but no amp is indestructible. Fender manufactures them for him now, FWIW.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:54 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Kerberos:
Dane

Not to bring up old topics but the videos posted on the EVH 5150 III ....Is it built like the "Brick Shithouse" EVH is claiming? To watch these video's he makes them sound almost indestructible???
I don't know about all that...it's a product he wants to sell. However as an owner of a Mesa Dual Rectifier I would advise peeps to stay away. They are tinny, hard to dial in and really lack a lot of sustain unless you just unleash the full 100 watts then it warms up a bit and some sustain comes in.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:56 PM 09-20-2012
Dane, what is your opinion of the older Mesa Dual Recto's? One thing I really can't stand about mine is the effects loop is in parallel and not serial. You can forget running effects ahead of the Amp because it totally fucks them when you apply any amount of gain at all. Perhaps I just don't know what I am doing with it but at this point it is nothing to me but an overpriced power amp.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:58 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Overrated
Perhaps, but I still like his sound.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:59 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
CC can tickle the 6 string.... He is fantastic live.
CC has some good feel on his solos and his tone is good, not signature but not bad. I just can't get past the hair and makeup and choreography of Poison. They are everything that killed good metal.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:59 PM 09-20-2012
I think Mick Mars is underrated not for his soloing ability but just his general playing and writing. I never cared for Vai though I admit I am in the minority on him but he never did anything that just blew me away like others have.
What has Mick Mars written of note? The last few albums have been written by outside writers and for the most part, I thought that everything was written by Nikki.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest Crue fan. They've always been to "light" for me and kinda goofy.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:00 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Perhaps, but I still like his sound.
I liked his sound on No Rest For The Wicked. I wanted a Metaltronix Amp bad until I found out his rythm tracks for quadra-dubbed.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:01 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
What has Mick Mars written of note? The last few albums have been written by outside writers and for the most part, I thought that everything was written by Nikki.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest Crue fan. They've always been to "light" for me and kinda goofy.
I just liked the intracies he put in his rythms. I am not talking early Crue but some of the mlate 90's stuff had good rythm and feel. Everything just seemed to fit nice. And yes, Nikki did most of the writing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:01 PM 09-20-2012
Dane, what is your opinion of the older Mesa Dual Recto's? One thing I really can't stand about mine is the effects loop is in parallel and not serial. You can forget running effects ahead of the Amp because it totally fucks them when you apply any amount of gain at all. Perhaps I just don't know what I am doing with it but at this point it is nothing to me but an overpriced power amp.
Old meaning which year? If it's a "First 500" Rectifier, they fucking rule the planet. Anything after that and up until their recent reissue, is buzzy, nasty dogshit, IMO.

Around 1995 or so, Randall Smith decided to replace a $20 part with a $2 dollar part. The amps never sounded the same after that. Unrecordable, unlistenable, buzzy, nasty - can I tell I don't like them?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:03 PM 09-20-2012
I liked his sound on No Rest For The Wicked. I wanted a Metaltronix Amp bad until I found out his rythm tracks for quadra-dubbed.
Yuck. Keith Olson put a LPF on that record that chopped off all the top end on the amp. He did the same thing to the second Lynch Mob record.

Awful.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:04 PM 09-20-2012
Old meaning which year? If it's a "First 500" Rectifier, they ****ing rule the planet. Anything after that and up until their recent reissue, is buzzy, nasty dogshit, IMO.

Around 1995 or so, Randall Smith decided to replace a $20 part with a $2 dollar part. The amps never sounded the same after that. Unrecordable, unlistenable, buzzy, nasty - can I tell I don't like them?
Mine is the version right before the latest which gave you the 50\100 swtich and moved the effects loop back to serial. I agree I think it is buzzy and I am not happy with it at all. Though I only play through 2 1x12's so that doesn't help warming up the sound any.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:05 PM 09-20-2012
I just liked the intracies he put in his rythms. I am not talking early Crue but some of the mlate 90's stuff had good rythm and feel. Everything just seemed to fit nice. And yes, Nikki did most of the writing.
So many of their recent releases have been written by outside guys that I'm not even sure if you're hearing Mick anymore. I know that on one of the recent releases, Tommy used triggered and programmed drums while Mick played through a fucking Digidesign Eleven.

:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:06 PM 09-20-2012
Mine is the version right before the latest which gave you the 50\100 swtich and moved the effects loop back to serial. I agree I think it is buzzy and I am not happy with it at all. Though I only play through 2 1x12's so that doesn't help warming up the sound any.
What year was it manufactured? It doesn't sound like it's one of the Holy Grail models.

You can have the effects loop modified but if you hate the amp, sell and move on.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:07 PM 09-20-2012
Yuck. Keith Olson put a LPF on that record that chopped off all the top end on the amp. He did the same thing to the second Lynch Mob record.

Awful.
Not surprising. I found over the years that Zakk is just "overloaded" on tone stuff. It's too artificial sounding.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:10 PM 09-20-2012
Not surprising. I found over the years that Zakk is just "overloaded" on tone stuff. It's too artificial sounding.
Yeah, at one point, Jimmy Dunlop told me he was using not one but two Rotovibes simultaneously.

And as for his "standard" tone, it's a mid-80's diode clipping JCM800 (not the earlier 2204 that had just a hair more gain than the 1980 JMP) with again, not one but two Boss distortion pedals. One is on at all times for his rhythm sound, then he kicks on the other for his leads.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Up