Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
kcpasco 12:48 PM 04-15-2019
All smokers on the job site are pointing fingers at each other. No one is gonna own up to that. Sorry boss, I accidentally burned one of the worlds most historic buildings to the ground.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:51 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Paris really wasn't the scene of any battles during WWII.
Exactly, probably due to that reason
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:52 PM 04-15-2019
It's not that big of a deal. Hardly some world treasure.
[Reply]
FAX 12:52 PM 04-15-2019
This is profoundly sad. I hope this was not an act of terrorism ... for a lot of reasons.

But, unfortunately, many Catholic churches in France have been the target of arson over the past year or so ...

FAX
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:52 PM 04-15-2019
It looks like they're either getting it under control, or now that the roof is gone we just can't see as well.

Edit: dunno about that. The far shot still seems to show a lot of flames.

Live camera:

[Reply]
Donger 12:53 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Is that supposed to make sense?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:56 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
The tall dork in the back?
Heh...I was trying to joke about the fact that we were pretty much all a bunch of nerds.

But yeah. That's me. :-)
[Reply]
srvy 12:56 PM 04-15-2019
I dont know anything about France but I suppose it has OSHA like safety requirements. In the USA very few instance where smoking would be allowed inside a renovation. Pretty much if the building is no smoking inside you can bet those worker were not allowed to.

Could be welding and grinding taking place. Electrical short some those tools require power. Just to many things that can go south on a construction site.
[Reply]
eDave 12:57 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
It's not that big of a deal. Hardly some world treasure.
2edgy4me
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:57 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Is that supposed to make sense?
I
Respecting, what's religiously precious and the narrative that Hitler was pushing.
[Reply]
FAX 12:57 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Uh ... Hitler ordered the city to be completely demolished with V2s and mortars as France was falling to the Allies. That destruction was to include all historic buildings, monuments, bridges, etc.

von Choltitz chose to disobey the order ... a rare act of disobedience for a Nazi general. Instead, he had his men fire a few token shots (in order to maintain their "honor") then capitulate.

FAX
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 12:57 PM 04-15-2019
Like pissing on a bonfire is what their efforts look like to me
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:58 PM 04-15-2019
Dang. Smoke is coming out of one of the front towers now. Maybe it's just coming up from the rest of the building, I hope.
[Reply]
Otter 12:58 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
This is profoundly sad. I hope this was not an act of terrorism ... for a lot of reasons.

But, unfortunately, many Catholic churches in France have been the target of arson over the past year or so ...

FAX
I will be greatly surprised if it's not an act of terrorism. Sad story and hopes for a quick rebuilt and the unification of those who prayed and practiced their faith at Notre Dame.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:59 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
I dont know anything about France but I suppose it has OSHA like safety requirements. In the USA very few instance where smoking would be allowed inside a renovation. Pretty much if the building is no smoking inside you can bet those worker were not allowed to.

Could be welding and grinding taking place. Electrical short some those tools require power. Just to many things that can go south on a construction site.
Yeah, good point. That's probably a better explanation.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up