ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Were you homeschooled?
Yes 2 4.55%
No 39 88.64%
George Kittle is a SB Champ! 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Were you homeschooled?
lewdog 09:12 PM 02-11-2020
Please vote.

I am conducting research.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:27 AM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
Y
Home school is no worse or better than public schools if parents dot get involved in real discussions with their kids...ask questions challenge what they get at school if off base.
That's an oxymoronic statement since that is exactly what homeschooling does. Can't make it up! :-)

Oh and it depends on how you read to a child, reading to them isn't enough.
[Reply]
Detoxing 11:29 AM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
You make a lot of good points but the indoctrination you speak of is what the public school system is. Find a good private school is the first choice. High end online like Stanford would be 2nd.
Public schools are quite the mixed bag.

And private school is obviously the standard but just isn't realistic for every family.

BEP's example is delusional. She talks about an 8-9K a year education for one child and says shit about getting rid of a second car or buying a smaller house :-).

For the working poor, ONE car is difficult to afford, two is a luxury and OWNING a house is something you strive to have by the time you retire. Finding an extra 9K is like just magically finding a 30% annual pay raise.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:32 AM 02-12-2020
Too many people who use gub'ment schools lack knowledge and experience with any alternatives outside their experience.

Some of our greatest men and women, statesman and otherwise were educated at home.
[Reply]
notorious 11:34 AM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
Donger was bragging about how he had sex with his teacher, then come to find out he was home schooled. :-)
This is gold. :-)
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 11:35 AM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Public schools are quite the mixed bag.

And private school is obviously the standard but just isn't realistic for every family.

BEP's example is delusional. She talks about an 8-9K a year education for one child and says shit about getting rid of a second car or buying a smaller house :-).

For the working poor, ONE car is difficult to afford, two is a luxury and OWNING a house is something you strive to have by the time you retire. Finding an extra 9K is like just magically finding a 30% annual pay raise.
I would go for a tax credit. The key should be trying to empower parents and students NOT the failed public education system.
[Reply]
notorious 11:36 AM 02-12-2020
Small public school, graduating class of 17.

Teachers had the same or similar values of my parents. If you farted in class your parents would know before you got off the bus.

Completely different than the feed yard/cattle chute big schools.
[Reply]
scho63 11:42 AM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Donger gets homeschooled every day in DC.
More like he is in detention every week....
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:43 AM 02-12-2020
This author is the man I met in the latter half of the 80's who was invited to the WH by Reagan. I did some work for him and for a year also joined his movement later, before I even had a child, where we'd go with him on talking-tours warning what was coming to gub'ment schools to get parents to remove their children from them.

He's dead now but was in his 60's I believe when I first met him. I did a logo for him pro bono, so I could build samples for my portfolio. He's also an author, teacher and tutor.

Here's one his books. He knew the history of public education in America and wrote that as one of his books.You can see the others on the same amazon page. It challenges the common assumptions about gub'ment education.
https://www.amazon.com/Public-Educat.../dp/1936577062

In early American history, a literate and well-educated majority of Americans thrived without a national, tax-funded educational program. In fact, few of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence and drafted the U.S. Constitution had ever seen a public school, and yet they benefited from a free system of education vastly superior to the imagined benefits of today's state-controlled schooling.

What happened over the course of the last and a half centuries? Why did Americans surrender the educational freedom that produced such widespread academic excellence to embrace a state of functional illiteracy under complete government control? In his seminal book Is Public Education Necessary?, Samuel Blumenfeld unpacks two centuries of source material to present an accurate history of the religious and philosophical transformations that gave birth to the educational statism controlling America's children today. ... A colorful history full of fascinating characters and incisive commentary, Is Public Education Necessary? challenges American parents to discard the common wisdom concerning public schools to reshoulder the responsibilities that are rightfully theirs, to fight to keep the liberties they inherited, and to teach their children to do the same.

[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:16 PM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I've met far more than two.
Okay 3.

Originally Posted by :
You have the personality of a period cramp, and you get information from lewrockwell.com.
Better than your conventional mainstream propagandizing brainwashing sources for the state, using the same old failed arguments with nothing original in order to keep state-only approved ideas corralled for public consumption.

You're still showing how you got nuth'in as usual.

Besides, it is my NOT only source if'n you noticed. I choose it because it's neither left or right. It's the most widely read libertarian site on the internet--more than Koch Bros "Reason." And I am not even a libertarian. I don't go as far as they do for limited govt to the point of mini-anarchy.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 12:29 PM 02-12-2020
Frankly, I don't believe that the idea of "public" schools is necessarily bad. Throughout the history of this country, 99% of the kids were taught in public schools and most turned out well.

Here's the problem (that has reared its ugly head since around 1980):

Teachers unions, political interference with schools and teachers and finally NOT following the curriculum that TEACHES children those things that they need to go forward. "Reading Writing and Arithmetic"? Yeah, right.......

Teachers are treating kids like "little warriors" for the gay, the political, the gender nonsense, political action, civil rights, and finally - teaching them that the problems of the world reside in the US. I just saw a news story that showed kids walking out in "protest" than teachers "aren't making enough money". Proof enough for me.

And every political season what is it we hear from the left? Teachers should be paid more.

Teachers today are (in my opinion) more concerned with their retirement than teaching their students.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:32 PM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
I would go for a tax credit. The key should be trying to empower parents and students NOT the failed public education system.
I support tax credits to help too.

Also to note because of Detoxing's misrepresentation on what I said about a second car etc. Ben Carson grew up dirt poor and look what he accomplished. That's because he had a mother that made him read and more.

Plenty of poor blacks live in the city where there is ample public transportation negating the need for a car. And if they get welfare, Section 8 Housing then they don't have other expenses either. It's more lack of will. They're usually considered house-poor but will buy a nice car and fancy clothes instead. In the old days, before gub'ment education, as Mr. Blumenfeld tells in his book, schools had openings for poor kids who could attend for free or less.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:45 PM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Frankly, I don't believe that the idea of "public" schools is necessarily bad. Throughout the history of this country, 99% of the kids were taught in public schools and most turned out well.
Not according to education author who wrote a history of education in this country. The literacy rate was much higher for 99% before gub'ment funded and compulsory education.

Originally Posted by :

Teachers unions, political interference with schools and teachers and finally NOT following the curriculum that TEACHES children those things that they need to go forward. "Reading Writing and Arithmetic"? Yeah, right.......

Teachers are treating kids like "little warriors" for the gay, the political, the gender nonsense, political action, civil rights, and finally - teaching them that the problems of the world reside in the US. I just saw a news story that showed kids walking out in "protest" than teachers "aren't making enough money". Proof enough for me.

And every political season what is it we hear from the left? Teachers should be paid more.

Teachers today are (in my opinion) more concerned with their retirement than teaching their students.
That's true. Blumenfeld covers a lot of that in his book NEA: Trojan Horse in Education. It started earlier per him, but was worse when Whole Language was introduced for teaching reading without enough phonics or even none at all in the 1980's which got worse under the Clintons with Outcome-Based Education, to No Child Left Behind, to Common Core. All of these experiments using American kids as guinea pigs, increased the level of dumbing kids down.

When I tutored reading, under a No Child Left Behind grant for a private non-profit outfit, where we worked in gub'ment schools, I met some older retired teachers who taught in the mid 60's who said they didn't even go to college for 4 years never mind have masters and reading was still taught better. Now they get Masters and mostly psychology, with a crash course in their subjects and some methods ( different than in the past) and the results per scores have declined. This is rule by experts but experts can be wrong--in fact are often wrong. Though I draw a more sinister conclusion--it's deliberate for political purposes for control. Like the leaked email of Hillary saying, keep the people dumbed-down and compliant. That shows the intention as far as I am concerned.

Teaching reading at young ages is one of the easiest things to learn. I learned some from Blumenfeld, and two teachers -- one who ran a tutoring company turning failed students around. That's what Blumenfeld also did.
[Reply]
Detoxing 12:47 PM 02-12-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:

Also to note because of Detoxing's misrepresentation on what I said about a second car etc. Ben Carson grew up dirt poor and look what he accomplished. That's because he had a mother that made him read and more.
What does that have to do with homeschooling? And there was no misrepresentation. You very clearly wanted to illustrate that a lack of funds for a private education is due to a parent's lack of financial planning and sacrifice.

Plenty of poor blacks live in the city where there is ample public transportation negating the need for a car. And if they get welfare, Section 8 Housing then they don't have other expenses either. It's more lack of will. They're usually considered house-poor but will buy a nice car and fancy clothes instead. In the old days, before gub'ment education, as Mr. Blumenfeld tells in his book, schools had openings for poor kids who could attend for free or less.
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

There's so much wrong with that. This is the part of the thread where BEP face plants and pretends like she has any idea what it's like to grow up in an inner-city poor family.

It's posts like that, and people like BEP that cause so many black and poor to vote democrat. You're completely out of touch.

Just stay in your lane and lecture people on things you may actually know about. Like reporting gardeners to the police or whatever is the latest on LewRockwell.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 12:48 PM 02-12-2020
Not according to education author who wrote a history of education in this country. The literacy rate was much higher for 99% before gub'ment funded education.

That's true. Blumenfeld covers a lot of that in his book NEA: Trojan Horse in Education. It started earlier per him, but was worse when Whole Language was introduced for teaching reading without enough phonics or even none at all.

When I tutored reading, under a No Child Left Behind grant in gub'ment schools, I met some older retired teachers who taught in the mid 60's who said they didn't even go to college for 4 years never mind have masters and reading was still taught better. Now they get Masters and mostly psychology, with a crash course in their subjects of methods ( different than in the past) and the results per scores have declined. This is rule by experts but experts can be wrong--in fact are often wrong.

Teaching reading at young ages is one of the easiest things to learn. I learned some from Blumenfeld, a two teachers one who ran a tutoring company turning failed students around. That's what Blumenfeld also did.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with that statement. As we are all keenly aware - once the government gets involved in our day to day lives - it goes to doo doo.

Or as the old saying goes: "When the government tells you that they are there to help; RUN!!!
[Reply]
Detoxing 12:59 PM 02-12-2020
At some point ya'll gotta stop blaming the government and schools.

The parent SHOULD have the most communication with the child.

The Child will likely learn from you just by being around you so much. He'll pick up your habits, manners, work ethic and in some cases, even your walk.

You're the parent, you carry more influence than the teacher or school.

If the child isn't doing well in private/public school then maybe YOU, the parent should help the child by spending extra time with him instead of watching him fail and then blaming an institution.

Quit blaming the government for every goddamn thing. It's such a lazy, right wing take.

The buck stops at home. The kids who excel are the kids who get the most pressure at home to do well, and get the most assistance.

WHERE the education comes from doesn't matter nearly as much as good parenting.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up